Pumpkin Had Dental Cleaning/extraction Today

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about poop issues that Pumpkin's been having. He's doing better in that department but there is something else I am concerned about.

In that thread I mentioned he needed to have a dental cleaning, which he had today. They also had to pull one tooth. Pumpkin seems to be doing better than when he came home a few hours ago. He was very wobbly when my brother brought him back from the vet's but is getting back to normal.

Here are my concerns:

Pumpkin is very quiet, almost sad. Could that be part of the anesthesia that's wearing off?

Will he have poop issues because of the anesthesia?

I'm putting him on soft food only for a couple of days. I would prefer he remain on a soft food diet, mostly for his tummy issues. But if I keep some hard food in his diet will that help with his teeth?

One of his canine teeth was extracted It had slight oozing per the vet and was loose, so I'm hoping that he's not having much pain now. The vet thought he probably had it before the extraction even though he didn't act like it.

One thing that popped up this morning that REALLY bothers me:

Right after my brother arrived at the vet's they pestered him about paperwork they claimed was sent along with a permission form for today's procedure. I never got that extra paperwork, which was supposed to be for extra services like bloodwork, etc.

The other thing that came up was money. I spoke with a couple of people prior to this morning's appointment, including a vet. I reminded them I could not be there because I'm in a wheelchair and don't get around as good as I used to. I asked it if would be ok if I send some money with my brother (several hundred) and if the bill goes over that, could they bill me for it. They said yes.

But the clerk I spoke with today, who seemed very snotty with me, said that a payment agreement would be required if I were to do this - something the vet and other staffer neglected to mention. I got upset because I thought Pumpkin w/b sent home without having this done and both my brother and I had very little sleep last night.

The clerk got upset with me and said she wanted me to stop yelling at her. I apologized and said that wasn't my intention....that I didn't mean to come across that way. I also said I needed her to understand that NO ONE said anything about a payment agreement that would require a copy of my license and signature. NO ONE. So, this made an already-bad morning worse and I'm worried they may try to discharge Pumpkin from their office because of how I handled that dispute.

They should have made it clear how this w/b taken care of from the get-go. No, they chose to wait until the morning of the procedure.

Do I have a right to be upset? Will they make me take Pumpkin elsewhere for further appointments? Should I even take him back there given how they handled this?

I would appreciate your thoughts. Sorry if this is too long and rambling.....I'm still suffering from sleep deprivation. Pumpkin kept me up off and on all night because he wanted to eat and couldn't. My brother was up most of the night for work reasons.

Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Are you able to finger feed him? Do you have some Gerber stage 2/Sitter ham flavored pureed baby food?

Is there an office manager at this clinic? Or maybe try and speak with the vet or one of the other people-they need to be consistent in whichever way, and not half saying this then having others saying something else.
They should also be more sensitive to you, the pet owner and their customer, plus the missing paperwork is a concern. (That clerk have been irritated with everyone, --maybe the others were supposed to tell you about the payment thing, but that doesn't excuse a lousy attitude to a paying customer and stressed cat owner).

The dry food won't help with any dental issues, the soft food is better due to greater moisture for all of your kitty's systems.

My boy has had several reactions after anesthesia including being wobbly and generally unsure, and hating it, which could be sadness in your cat. It shouldn't cause poop issues but I'm not a vet and every cat is different.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Are you able to finger feed him? Do you have some Gerber stage 2/Sitter ham flavored pureed baby food?

Is there an office manager at this clinic? Or maybe try and speak with the vet or one of the other people-they need to be consistent in whichever way, and not half saying this then having others saying something else.
They should also be more sensitive to you, the pet owner and their customer, plus the missing paperwork is a concern. (That clerk have been irritated with everyone, --maybe the others were supposed to tell you about the payment thing, but that doesn't excuse a lousy attitude to a paying customer and stressed cat owner).

The dry food won't help with any dental issues, the soft food is better due to greater moisture for all of your kitty's systems.

My boy has had several reactions after anesthesia including being wobbly and generally unsure, and hating it, which could be sadness in your cat. It shouldn't cause poop issues but I'm not a vet and every cat is different.
I don't have any baby food, but I did set out some dry food mixed with water, which I call his "soup." He ate almost the whole bowl (small bowl, not large). I put out another bowl of "soup" and a can of Fancy Feast. No hard food at all. He's able to eat but sometimes it looks like he's chewing funny, like he's trying to get used to having one less tooth.

He just got up and went to his dishes. His appetite has returned but Pumpkin appeared sad earlier.

Pumpkin is much less wobbly, just quiet. Not one single meow. I can't wait for him to start hollering at me again! lol

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad your baby is eating! Good for you, and I remember it took a little bit for my boy to adjust to missing teeth, or not, --he's a noisy and messier eater now :D!

Hopefully those yells return soon :thumbsup: :crossfingers:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amalie continues to eat kibble after every series of extractions we do. She's stubborn. She has about 4 or 5 teeth left and still prefers to eat kibble.
Constipation may happen if buprenorphine was given.

As for the vet's office - I usually mention things to the front desk that the vet has discussed with me before I check out. It sounds like one hand didn't know what the other was doing, and the desk knows to follow hospital policy on these payment situations. You may be fine if they speak with the vet.

They want your id incase you don't fulfill the payment and they have to send you to collections. It's insulting, but normal.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that was poor communication on the vet clinic's part and they should have not scolded you for anything, that is very unprofessional of them. Regardless of "who is right" that is not how you treat clients.

He is probably acting quiet due to the anesthesia yes. The anesthesia may affect all pets differently but I think a diet switch to canned if he is used to dry would definitely do it. I would continue with a small portion of whatever you currently feed him for dinner after his appointment, and then normal by the next morning.

Canned food is DEFINITELY a much better diet for him in the long run, but for now just stick to whatever you were feeding him before until he recovers. Dry food doesn't nothing to clean teeth so keep that in mind too.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your baby is eating! Good for you, and I remember it took a little bit for my boy to adjust to missing teeth, or not, --he's a noisy and messier eater now :D!

Hopefully those yells return soon :thumbsup: :crossfingers:
Pumpkin seems to be doing better, although when I gave him some laxatone a few minutes ago he struggled with it. I always put a dab on my thumb and he licks it off. Pumpkin's been taking it this way for ages. I never thought his extraction would impact something like Laxatone but I was wrong.

He hopped into bed with me just now. :)

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amalie continues to eat kibble after every series of extractions we do. She's stubborn. She has about 4 or 5 teeth left and still prefers to eat kibble.
Constipation may happen if buprenorphine was given.

As for the vet's office - I usually mention things to the front desk that the vet has discussed with me before I check out. It sounds like one hand didn't know what the other was doing, and the desk knows to follow hospital policy on these payment situations. You may be fine if they speak with the vet.

They want your id incase you don't fulfill the payment and they have to send you to collections. It's insulting, but normal.
Yes, I felt insulted when she said that. I've been taking Pumpkin to that vet since adopting him over six years ago. I always paid up front. It's just that with today's procedure I didn't know for certain how much it would be and was going by what they told me last week.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about going through this again! Thanks!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say that was poor communication on the vet clinic's part and they should have not scolded you for anything, that is very unprofessional of them. Regardless of "who is right" that is not how you treat clients.

He is probably acting quiet due to the anesthesia yes. The anesthesia may affect all pets differently but I think a diet switch to canned if he is used to dry would definitely do it. I would continue with a small portion of whatever you currently feed him for dinner after his appointment, and then normal by the next morning.

Canned food is DEFINITELY a much better diet for him in the long run, but for now just stick to whatever you were feeding him before until he recovers. Dry food doesn't nothing to clean teeth so keep that in mind too.
Pumpkin perked up since my last post, except taking Laxatone a few minutes ago was tricky. I never thought an extraction would affect something like that but I was wrong. Anyway, he's doing ok and is sitting next to me in bed.

Thank you!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:yess: hang in there, hopefully things continue to improve! :vibes::heartshape:
Thanks!

He's doing better this morning. I found some poop in his box! Yay! lol

We had a cuddle too, during which Pumpkin gave me a headbutt! This is remarkable, considering he just had a tooth pulled yesterday!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:woo: I'm SO glad to hear this!!
I fell asleep in the livingroom this evening while watching tv & Pumpkin woke me up. As I was getting ready to go to bed a little while ago he was running around in his play box and "quacking." It's a weird little meow Pumpkin has when he's in a good mood

Now I KNOW he's feeling better! Pumpkin still finds taking Laxatone tricky & is still on a soft food diet. I might just keep him on it so he won't have any more poop issues.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I try to visit this website more often even when Pumpkin's not having issues, and there's another thread where someone commented on the antibiotic called "Convenia." I got scared and googled it and found there have been adverse reactions to this medication.

Pumpkin can be difficult to medicate, so the vet suggested we use that antibiotic because of his bad tooth that got pulled on Tuesday.

He's doing better as time goes on. Should I be worried about this medication? Maybe I should have tried to stick with a pill, but at this point it's hard to get Pumpkin to take his laxatone. I put some on my thumb and he licks it off. I'm guessing he's still getting used to having one less tooth.

Help! I agreed to that shot thinking it would help him. It would break my heart if it ends up hurting him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not every cat has trouble with it, so I think not to worry unless something begins to go awry. Focus on his feeling better and quacking - I just love that!! And try not to let a possibility ruin your moments :heartshape:

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not every cat has trouble with it, so I think not to worry unless something begins to go awry. Focus on his feeling better and quacking - I just love that!! And try not to let a possibility ruin your moments :heartshape:
Pumpkin is doing better as time goes on....more meowing and 'quacking.' heheheee

He slept on me for a little while this evening. One of the things that Pumpkin started doing within the past couple of months is he likes to curl up on my chest or stomach - or my side like this evening when I was laying down - and fall asleep.

I'm sorry to be such a worrywart. So much has gone on with both of us that it doesn't take much for me to panic. I'll be glad when things get back to normal.

Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless your heart, worrywarting is part of the job description sometimes, I think:heartshape: