Pulled Tail Syndrome

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted earlier about a stray I took in to get neutered returning with a limp tail. A member posted about some of his or her TRN cats returning from the vet injured from getting manhandled at the vet to restrain them. I’m thinking someone at the vets office grabbed my cats tail to restrain him and injured the tail. Any of your cat get returned with a tail that looks like this?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Are you able to find a different vet? Have you notified your current vet about your concerns?

Is he able to use the tail at all normally? Is his balance affected?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet initially told me that the tail was down because he was in pain. Which I could understand. When I noticed it was not being held down but dangling down I called again yesterday. The vet is in today and is supposed to call me. Before I wanted to make any accusations I just wanted to see if anyone had this same issue.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Be careful with any direct accusations. Be firm that you want to know if the tail is injured in any way. Manhandled and abused are two different things, so be sure to delineate when you speak to them. If you get really confrontational, they will get really defensive, so try a low key approach.

My pet cat Stella died 4 months ago (13 years old, diabetic) when she went to the vet for her fructosamine test...which is basically a blood test. I know that she struggled and was probably restrained too severely, but whatever happened she came home and died. I called them immediately and the vet did man up enough to call me right back and admit that it may have been the stress of the visit and the test but that is as far as it went, evidently. In your case, it would seem that a tail injury that could not have occurred in any other way could be dxed with an exam and xrays and then you proceed from there.

No, I never had a tail issue with a neuter; probably already said that and it includes an amputation of most of a tail from a gangrenous injury to a feral.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took him back to the vet. They don’t know what the problem is. I told them I assumed it happed there at the vet because it was working before and they did tell me he put up a fight. Prescribed steroids, let’s hope for the best.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No XRays as they are unsure of his behavior. If the steroids don’t help that’s the next step.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is just a permanent condition that no one will be able to provide an explanation for. It’s disappointing.....