Puffy Tail Mean More Than Fear/anger?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We recently adopted a few kitties, one of which was depressed and withdrawn in the shelter as well as very timid. But she is such a wonderfully affectionate and.....I don't even have the words...she's just so precious.
Anyway, we knew we would have to work with her to help her understand she is now in a secure and loving environment. And this is going VERY well. She still has some fearfulness, but has started to seek us out for affection, does not run at the first sight of someone walking around, she will continue to eat/drink and use the litter box even if we are around and SO many other things that may seem small but are a huge accomplishment. We are so happy with her progress thus far.
My question is, can it mean anything else other than fear or anger when the tail get's all puffy? There have been a few times that I've noticed her tail just puffs up, usually in the middle of a love fest. She will be rolling around, kneading the air and purring. Rubbing her face on me, flipping on her back, and then while doing this (she doe not look startled or suddenly jump or stop purring or kneading) her tail will just puff up? I wonder if she may have heard something (I didn't) but still felt secure enough with me not to run or jump but why the puffy tail? Anyone ever have their cat get a puffy tail that was NOT a "bad" sign?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Glad things are going well!!! I have heard that adrenaline causes the puffed up tail reaction in cats - whether that be from fear, aggression, or excitement. So, in your case I wonder if it is just her getting excited during play.

Feeby puffs up her tail when she is about to be fed - for her than can only mean excitement at the prospect of FOOD!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so glad! I was really hoping that is was more of a "I'm super excited" thing. It's just I've only ever seen puffy tails on startled/scared/angry cats. But with her, it is when it seems she does not know what to do with herself. She's wiggly, rubbing, purring, kneading the air, flipping back and forth. Super cute!
We have gotten her to play a few times, but that is still a work in progress. I can really tell her confidence is building little by little every day.

Thanks for easing my mind.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They can fluff up their tail when they are just in that awesome play mode or even in a super interested mode. You gotta go by shape of the tail as well. Is it straight up, straight out behind, out and low or up in a curly question mark way?

Tail posture is huge as far as communication goes.

But don't get too hung up on it. She sounds like she's coming around very nicely. Frequently all these cats need is time and understanding.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats tails puff up when they are excited or really happy. This happens with my Casey when he climbs in my lap for cuddle time when I get home from work. He also drools on me when he is really happy. Casey loves people and loves laps too. He is a well socialized adult who has done this since I adopted him as a 7 week old kitten.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a way to share any pictures at the moment, but you are very right that she is adorable.
She is 2 years old, but only 6/7 pounds. She is very small, I assume she was malnourished as a kitten. She was a pregnant rescue, had her litter in the shelter and has since been spayed. She has classic tabby markings in light orange with a rich darker marmalade color. She has the most expressive yellow/green eyes. And they are to die for, they are so big and sad looking Bambi eyes, it just melts your heart.
As much as I don't understand why she was never adopted, I'm so glad she waited for us.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tail posture is huge as far as communication goes.
Because she was always laying down and wiggling and squirming all over, the tail posture was hard to figure out. It wasn't just stiff in one spot, just 5 times the size:D

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our girls always puffs up her tail when she is feeling extra happy, prancing around and purring and making biscuits. Totally normal :)

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful that you took a chance on a shy girl and she's coming out of her shell for you. I have an affinity for the timid kitties, and have found that they're really wonderful companions once they come to trust you.

My Juniper is also tiny at just over 6 pounds, and took quite a while to feel comfortable with us, but she's now as sweet and snuggly as can be. I'm glad that you're sharing your experiences with your shy kitty; like you, I can't imagine how Juniper got overlooked for so long at the shelter, but I am guessing that people go for the bold, immediately cuddly cats first. Glad to hear that your girl found a loving, patient home with you!

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem