Publix brand cat food..

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I see it has brewer's rice, ground sorghum, barley, dried cranberries and menadione in it. I think it is not as premium as the company would have people think.

ki cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I researched Publix Premium cat food and although not the best better than a lot out there. I like innova canned food but for my feral cats outside publix is good .

paula mather

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The #2 ingredient on the bag is chicken by-product meal. "Meal" means the water has been removed; that's not a problem. But chicken by-products are poop, feathers, beaks, talons, etc. For that to be the #2 ingredient is bed.

robinallen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been feeding my cats this food for a while now & my cats all love it, I have 4, aged from about 3 to 13 years old. The older cat had been fed Iams, until he joined our family but, in my opinion it isn't a quality food for my babies. The Publix Premium compares almost the same as Hills, for a lot less money. I absolutely recommend it to anyone. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a very old thread, resurrected briefly again last year, but many of the original posters are no longer around.

crollo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
INGREDIENTS FOR PUBLIX CAT FOOD DISCOVERED!

A few days ago I ONCE AGAIN began looking for the ingredients for Publix Brand Cat Food because I was questioning if I should continue to buy it, since I have been feeding POULTRY to them for several months. In my search, I read on this site that no one knew what the ingredients were or could find them. I didn't either until I just looked at the case for 24 cans. The ingredients are written on the side of the box in readable letters.

Having 14 cats to feed and a shrinking budget, I have kept them on the dry SD Hairball, urinary but stopped with the more expensive wet foods (clean water available and wet food twice a day). Before anyone says I should NOT feed them dry, let me hasten to add: I tried that. With so many cats (who are now re-homed with ME - virtual members of our family to feed), not having a tray of dry food available caused such anxiety that it hurt the relative calmness of the colony and they were begging all the time. The stress levels definitely went up. Not good either.

I have spent thousands on these animals especially when they were "kittens" (2014 rescues - 5-6 weeks - 2 yr old) to guard them from urinary problems, etc. My reasoning was that given their questionable diets before being trapped, they needed extra nutritional care. But now, I am having to compromise some of their expenses because of my budget. So far, so good.

The beginning ingredients in the Publix food is meat -- followed by water, by products, etc. So, hopefully we are ok. I know they love the stuff. Then, of course, they LOVE what is probably "roadkill" treats from Walmart, too. But everyone is still healthy. BTW - I do not feed them fish products because of the negative things I've read about that. But have purchased some Iams patte (with fish) which I may try and see how it goes.

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sometimes feed the dry to my outside “formerly freaks” and I feed the canned gourmet pate Publix brand in rotation for my inside cats. The ingredients and nutritional analysis are almost identical to Fancy Feast Classics and are a few cents cheaper. I also feed Fancy Feast Classic and a couple of other brands... Pro Plan True Nature and Wellness...so the Publix isn’t exclusive feeding, but I think it’s definitely as good as Fancy Feast.

crollo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I loved Pro-plan and Wellness but I did have one cat that started to have an urinary issue a year ago and was sad to find that Wellenss is not recommended for any cat with issues like that. With the number of cats I have, I pretty much have to feed them all the same stuff on a regular basis (cured him with prescript Royal Canin pretty quickly but stopped feeding them Wellness...sad). In fact, most of them were raised on Proplan and Fancy Feast Kitten formula. Did well. I'd rather pay for food than vet bills -- has always been my reasoning.

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crollo, do you know why Wellness is bad for urinary problems? I know they pretty recently changed their formulas on Complete Health and Core and no longer contain carrageenan. The ingredient lists look pretty good to me, so just wondering if you know if it’s an ingredient or something else causing the problem.

crollo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry but I don't remember. Usually magnesium, ash and water content % percentages that can be a problem...I think. When I contacted the company last year about this, they said they didn't recommend it for urinary problems... I think...having trouble remembering...I am pretty sure I asked if they had a urinary formula and they said no. Glad they took out the glutemate...always a good sign. Like I say, they were and are my favorite cat food. Packed with so much good nutrition and ingredients. Basically I feel like we get ripped off with the price of these little cans of food...and when you have a colony to feed, it's really bad.