PU Surgery Recovery and Unexpected Issues

fionasmom

Moderator
Staff Member
Moderator
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
8,151
Purraise
11,226
Location
Los Angeles
Is the suspicion of SCL very strong now? I reread your thread and it seems that in the beginning it was not as much suspected, hence no chlorambucil.

At least two of us here on TCS, daftcat75 daftcat75 and myself, had our cats on chlorambucil for SCL without having had/having refused biopsies. This does become an "I understand what I am doing" situation, but my vet worked very closely throughout Chelsea's time with SCL to help us maintain the protocol.

Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma groups.io Group
This group with allow you to join if only an ultrasound is done, not necessarily an FNA, endoscopic, or surgical biopsy.
 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
15,390
Purraise
5,389
Location
Arizona
Probably best to wait for the rest of the test results because it sounds like the most important ones are still to come.

Is your mother good at pilling Neko? As long as she is, and he is familiar with her then I don't see why you shouldn't go on that trip you have planned.

Hoping the increased Pred gives him some quick relief until you get his issues squared away.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #23

leighthecat

TCS Member
Thread starter
Kitten
Joined
May 28, 2022
Messages
19
Purraise
37
I'm not sure how certain the internist is of SCL; she seemed content with us trying this course (probiotics and the KittyBiome pills) before chemo and didn't push strongly one way or the other. She will prescribe chlorambucil without the biopsy, though, so that is kind of a comfort if what we're doing doesn't prove effective. I'll look into the lymphoma group as well. I'm really hoping we're not at that point just yet.

I'm not certain of my mom's pilling abilities, although she was able to pill her own cats (she has a pill gun). She knows Neko needs this so I think she will get it done, I'd just prefer it in a way that won't stress them both out unnecessarily. Maybe the anti-depressant can help. Our vet has said they can give steroid or Cerenia injections if needed, and I've asked if maybe a tech over there would willing to make a house call if needed to give Neko his meds.

He's eaten slightly more enthusiastically today, but has still been really tired (which might be the amitriptyline, I read that it can make them tired/zombielike). He did pee on his own (!) even before his meds, and he's had two #2s that weren't solid/formed but were definitely better than what we'd been seeing. I gave him a b12 injection today as well. He's sitting on his perch in the sun right now.

Thank you all for your responses. Neko and I appreciate it! I'll keep you posted - this has ended up going in a very different direction than what I thought it was in April/May, and I thought I was reasonably well-informed but I feel completely out of my depth now.
 
Top