PU surgery complications

simbly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My middle-aged cat had PU surgery performed after two full obstructions and a partial obstruction about 2.5 months ago. The site has healed well but about 1.5 months ago he started having foul smelling discharge and irritation from the PU site. He's able to urinate fine but has been licking at the area frequently. I've taken him to several vets, including the surgeon who performed the PU and an internist specializing in urinary issues, and they are unable to determine the cause or a solution. I've been told that he has a lot of skin folds internally around the PU site that may be resulting in hotspots for bacterial growth but antibiotics are not helping and I'm trying to avoid having a revision surgery performed to reduce the skin folds. Has anyone else experienced this issue post-PU surgery?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Until other members who have dealt with PU surgery and its after-effects come along to offer their input - would you be interested in looking at some previous threads related to PU? I don't know if they will help, but they might. Best wishes to you and your cat, and I hope other members will come along soon with some more specific input for you.
Search Results for Query: PU surgery | TheCatSite

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site although I am sorry that this situation has brought you here. I have not personally had PU surgery on a cat, so have to defer to those who might have some advice. It is a frequent topic and using the search results as indicated will give you some information. Internal hot spots sound miserable. Can one of the doctors consult with a teaching hospital?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simbly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I've looked through all of the PU-related threads and unfortunately could not find anything helpful for my specific situation. I can ask if the animal hospital can consult with a teaching hospital, thank you for the suggestion!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I tried to do some searching and even got a message from Google that "this topic appears not to be found" or something to that effect. It was sort of a shock to see that something was actually that obscure. I am sorry that you are faced with this and with a possible second surgery; if you feel as if you would like to post your outcome or need support, please let us know.