Pu, Perineal Urethrostomy - Non-stop Licking

kittysmother

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This upcoming Friday, September 20th will be 5 weeks since my cat's PU surgery. I was told to leave his e-collar on for 4 weeks. Last week we got permission to take it off since the surgical area is healed. We took it off last Friday evening and within 3 hours he had licked it to the point of horrible irritation. He acted like he was blocked so we put the cone back on until the next morning and monitored his urine output. He was fine since as long as we keep his licking to a minimum. For the last five days we have had the cone on more than it's been off. If we take it off, within a short time he is licking the area non-stop. We let him lick a little just to clean and hopefully satisfy his urge. I'm sure the area feels strange and perhaps is still itchy or just feels weird in general.

Obviously he isn't happy with the cone on and instantly is happy when it comes off. We can't permit him to lick the area non stop though as he has a one track mind! How long before we can expect him to groom the area like "normal" without licking to the point of irritation? Anyone have any tips or tricks or first-hand experience?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tommy's doctor said he could have it off at two weeks, but we kept it on for four because of the licking. Then the day he got it off, he licked himself raw, and then ran to me crying to give him treats because he's an emotional eater. After that he was much more gentle to himself. That was 2 1/2 years ago.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you discussed this with your vet?

This sounds almost behavioral, at this point. You can TRY giving him chamomile tea as an anti anxiety remedy. Get a box of the tea bags from your grocery store's coffee/tea aisle. Plain chamomile, no blends (clearly marked). Brew a cup and chill it in the fridge. Administer between 1-3 teaspoonfuls (tablespoonfuls for cat over 10 pounds) up to 3 times a day via syringe. It is gently calming without being sedating. You can also use the tea as a wash for the area, as it is wonderfully soothing for all sorts of skin irritations and ouchies.

DO use the commercial tea bags. Those are ALL made from German chamomile, which is medically active and safe for cats. The English variety, which often grows in gardens, is almost useless medicinally and is actually toxic to cats.