PTSD perhaps?

Blithbury23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12 year old neutered Alfie (adopted 3 years ago) is suddenly acting very strangely. He has a cat-flap so he can come and go at will but tends to stick pretty close to home a couple of gardens either side of mine. About 5 weeks ago he came in limping. I examined his back leg which he didn't enjoy but there were no wounds. He often has the odd scab or two on his head so he obviously gets into fights now and then, so I suspected he'd come off particularly badly this time or maybe landed oddly and got a sprain. Next day he was putting the foot down and the following day he was back to normal. Then a week and a half ago he came in limping on the same leg again so that day, Friday, I made an appointment to see the vet and the earliest appointment I could get was for the following Tuesday pm. The leg wasn't wounded but it looked a bit puffy to me and I thought he might may have picked up an infection from his earlier catfight/foxfight?? By Monday he was completely back to normal again so I cancelled the appointment which was foolish because on Tuesday afternoon, although he was walking normally, I could see an open wound on the 'elbow' of his back leg which was weeping lymph-like fluid. The following day it leaked blood and the next day it had started to heal at which point he allowed me to gently inspect it. I think it had been an abscess which had burst and now he's re-growing fur on it and walking normally. But he isn't behaving normally. He's become VERY clingy and affectionate. Howls a lot, won't go outside and eyes the open back doors very sheepishly. I discovered, the day before yesterday that he'd poohed upstairs rather than go outside. Yesterday morning he did creep outside at the front of the house while I stood at the door - and did the longest wee I've ever seen before scuttling back immediately and then poohing in the garage!! This is MOST unlike him. I gave him a litter tray not far from the backdoor which I was intending to gradually move outside over the next week or so......but so far he hasn't used it at all. Something has really spooked him and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. I've sat just outside the backdoor and made cooing noises at him to encourage him outside while I am there - but all he does is miaow back at me and stay put. He's just come down from a morning in bed, eaten his foo(next to the open back door) and gone back upstairs. Has anyone got any ideas? Thank you. Sorry this is so long-winded.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does sound like something happened to injure and terribly frighten him. At 12 be probably isn't as strong or as fast as he once was and more likely to be the loser in a fight. Since he feels safer in the house just let him stay in. Is it possible to close the door until he feels better?

Did you ever get him to the vet. If not, i'd start with that. He could have an infection. Also holding his peep and high anxiety can cause a urinary infection.

Since he usually does his business outside try putting dirt/leaves/grass from the yard in the litter box. Also move it to a place he feels safe away from an outside door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blithbury23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice Helen. I put garden dirt into a litter tray this afternoon and thank goodness he's used it. No I haven't been to vet yet. I'll watch him and see how he goes. He's otherwise normal physically and wound is healing nicely. I think it's psychological and his confidence has been knocked.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically its not PTSD if his fear is completely rationale -- and it may be. There is an aggressive cat out there that he doesn't want to see.

I'd convert him to an indoor cat, although, from personal knowledge, cowardly cats may be less likely to get into trouble. I had cats that would retreat to the house and howl when faced with trouble, and I'd come out and help, and they never really got hurt. I don't know that it takes two to tango, but it may make it a lot more likely. So if he rediscovers a sliver of his bravery but keeps the caution, he might be ok.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 12 years of age, I would let him retire to the comforts of indoor life, free from fights and other outdoor threats. I'm glad he's using the litter box. I hope he can see a vet soon to make sure everything is healing properly and not infected. There are pop up enclosures you can get if you wanted to give him some safe outdoor time. I had a cat whose brother was run over at an early age. After that, she didn't show much interest in the outdoors anymore. I don't know if she witnessed it, figured it out, or was just otherwise spooked by the whole affair. It worked for us both though. She moved in with me (surrender from a friend) into a second floor apartment. She showed so little interest in the outdoors that I could leave the front door open when unloading the car. I had to beg her to join me on the balcony. Maybe your guy is just done with the outdoors--one fight too many. 🤷‍♂️

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor baby. My two calico sisters, one is my avatar, saw their sibling, mother, and father killed by coyotes within a very short span of time. They were not exactly ready to come inside, having been born feral, but we simply brought them in before there was more carnage. Both DH and I believe that we have seen complete relief at knowing that they are safe and there was never any attempt to go back outside or dart through doors.