Pseudomonas skin infection

charlie-r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

So my 11 month old kittens both had signs of a skin infection and a lab analysis has diagnosed it as Pseudomonas sp. There's quite a bit of advice on here about pseudomonas as sinus or respiratory tract or urinary tract infection but does anyone have experience of it as a (facial) skin infection? It really surprised our vet - she wasn't expecting this outcome from the lab at all. She's worried about putting them on the antibiotic pills she thinks will be effective because of the girls being so young still, so she prescribed Aurizon ear drops (containing marbofloxacin) that we are treating the area with topically. It's around their whiskers on both cheeks and goes up the bridge of their noses to their foreheads.

Any comments or advice would be really appreciated as we are worried about how tenacious this bug can be.

Thanks,

Charlie (Inky and Pinky's mum)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no experience with it on the face, only respiratory. We treated with Zenequin pills. Hope you get some answers from others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlie-r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no experience with it on the face, only respiratory. We treated with Zenequin pills. Hope you get some answers from others.
Thanks, Stephanie - will keep Zenequin in mind anyway.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I searched this site and just as you said - nothing. But, I did run across this article on the internet about when pseudomonas affects cats skin. Maybe something to discuss with your vet? Actually, the only mention of it being related to skin is the last paragraph, which states:

Pseudomonas skin infections
Occasionally Pseudomonas can cause infections of the skin of dogs and cats. Most often this happens in areas of skin that are damaged or in immunosuppressed pets. Often the skin is damaged enough from chronic Staph infections that Pseudomonas bacteria are able to infect the skin also.
Pseudomonas - Allergy Ear And Skin Care For Animals LLC - Bensalem, PA

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sympathy, I know nothing about cats. But when I worked in hospital microbiology department pseudo was one of the most resistant bacteria we cultured. Very, very nasty😨.
j

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlie-r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I searched this site and just as you said - nothing. But, I did run across this article on the internet about when pseudomonas affects cats skin. Maybe something to discuss with your vet? Actually, the only mention of it being related to skin is the last paragraph, which states:

Pseudomonas skin infections
Occasionally Pseudomonas can cause infections of the skin of dogs and cats. Most often this happens in areas of skin that are damaged or in immunosuppressed pets. Often the skin is damaged enough from chronic Staph infections that Pseudomonas bacteria are able to infect the skin also.
Pseudomonas - Allergy Ear And Skin Care For Animals LLC - Bensalem, PA
Thanks very much for also looking for us, FeebysOwner - just today we had a long conversation with our vet. Part of the surprise was that this did not seem to be a secondary to anything based on the lab tests but we are going to be keeping a close eye on things. They are rescue kittens so while they have had full health checks and innoculations, we don't know theirs or their mother's histories.

They did the sensitivity test and confirmed two antibiotics seemed to be effective including the marbofloxacin. We are going to be switching to marbofloxacin based pills and switching to a carefully and judiciously administered dilute apple cider vinegar wash (which has worked in human cases) - we will keep folks posted on progress in case it helps someone in future.