PSA: Paper bags with handles

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's a PSA for those who, like me, are new to cats. Paper bags with handles (which 90% of my takeout orders come in these days) are more dangerous than they appear. I knew from reading sites like this that I shouldn't leave them out for her to get into unattended, because kitty could get herself tangled in the handle. But I didn't realize how quickly it could happen.

I got takeout tonight and my kitty managed to get herself caught in the bag while I was still enjoying my takeout. She did it right in front of me and there was no way I could help her because she panicked, darted off, tumbled down the stairs in the bag, and ran some more before extricating herself. It was terrifying to watch (but hilarious in retrospect). Luckily, she seems no worse for the wear, but lesson learned. I would have put the bag away when I was done eating, but now I know: Put the bag away right away.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Take no chances! Snip the handles! I have answered posts here before where the kitty did get hurt as well as developing a lasting fear that caused redirected aggression. Thank you for posting this! A bag will still be recyclable with snipped handles. Also cut any plastic six pack bottle holders! Even landfills and recycle centers have animals that get caught.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize paper bags couldn't be recycled with the handles. Yikes. When I first got my boo, I snipped the handles off right away, because I needed more bags for her to play with/in, but eventually I started recycling them-- I guess improperly, and also not promptly enough, at least tonight.

During play, she also has been allowed access to an Ikea bag (she loves the crinkles), with no problems to date, but of course I took scissors to the handles tonight.

God bless her, she was crawling into an empty Chipotle bag (no handles!) within the hour. She is either brave or stupid, and I suspect it is a totally lovable (and stressful) mix of both.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats getting tangled in paper bags, plastic bags and Kleenex boxes is YouTube gold!

I don't know how many cat videos there are on YouTube that show cats getting tangled in bags. It might be funny for about thirty seconds but, after that, it's time to go help the cat. I'm sure that, in most cases, the bag will tear or the handle will break but it's not a good idea to count on that happening. What if the cat gets hung up? Bad things could happen.

Or... Better yet... Those people should have just cleaned up their messes before their cats got into trouble.

Good reminder! :)

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is either brave or stupid, and I suspect it is a totally lovable (and stressful) mix of both.
The age old question!

I like to think kittens are very thorough investigators. They might have to try something 50 times before they decide it's not a good idea!

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And.....for cats who like to stick their heads in smaller bags.....like chip bags or small paper bags.

They can get STUCK, panic then SMOTHER themselves. I had one of my cats panic in a bag soon after I read that warning a couple of years ago. She ended up hiding in a corner. If I hadn't seen it and released her, would have been a sad ending. It happened so quick, throw that stuff away !!!