Psa For Winter Care For Cars/trucks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I never got notification for this-sorry!

My tire pressure indicator just came on. None of my tires look visibly flat. Is this something that will be fine once the cold snap ends, or should I be more worried?
My tires lost 5 to 7 lbs of air when temps dropped below freezing. I have the mechanic top off the air where I get my oil change-no charge.

I would be inclined to agree with you, but in my case, the tire pressure indicator did come on during the summer and the pressure was quite low in a couple of my tires. So, probably better to be safe than sorry and get it checked. I should probably get an actual gauge too.
Also some rims have issues with slow leaks. Best to get it checked out-most air pumps have a tire gage right on the hose or the digital display where you set the pounds to put in- usually 34. I had checked my tires one day this summer and it was 17lbs! So yes just have a mechanic check it for you-they won't charge you.

In my truck-the pressure gages are inside the tire and have batteries-my service tire monitoring light has been on since 2012. Bought it in 2010. I ignore it. I accidently hit a curb on rear right tire and the mechanic says it probably dislodged it. It's about 100 to 150 to fix it. Forget it. I should have had them fix it every time I got new tires but I can't justify the 100 dollars for a machine to tell me to put air in-half the time they are wrong. It's a good system but like @1CatOverTheLine pointed out-there's tons of moving parts in the system and doesn't take much to muck it up.

I only have 2 sensors that still work-the right front is always lower than actual measurement. I use it as a good gage and if I see it loosing pressure too fast I know to get off the road. Once the battery life runs out I will just ignore it completely. The system will have warning light come on and say there's 0 lbs when I know darn well there's 30+ lbs in there. I got to get a portable gage-cheep and easy to use. The mechanic told me the batteries have a lifetime of 10 years..some people like them-I feel they are just more useless crap that gives mechanics more cash.

Also the reason why the light goes off after driving is when the tires are not moving and the car is not warm then air temp makes deflate a bit-as you drive you should see the lbs increase about 2 or 4 lbs. The reason is friction of tires on surface heats up the tires-this is an old race car trick-they use the pressure to help the car do what they need it to do. And yes Willowy is correct-slightly under inflated tires will work better in snow/ice- about 5lbs. my tires call for 34/35 and I try to keep them at 30ish but I really prefer them at the 35 mark- just for my peace of mind.

This morning it was -9 and I let the truck run for 20 minutes. Yesterday I had hardly No break pressure due to it being so cold and transmission just plain old making noise-today it ran a lot better. yeah it sucked up more gas but at least the truck wasn't protesting as much. Some areas of my little town were as cold as -13. So far no issues with starting up...I forgo the gym last night because of frigid temps and only had truck on for less than 5 minutes to go from grocer to gym...I went home instead. I didn't want to be out there in the pitch black night broke down...sometimes it's best to just go home when temps are this low.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the pressure checked, air filled, and the indicator turned off. So all looks well. Temps are supposed to go back into a normal-ish range soon, so hopefully the pressure will stay fine.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My vehicle is in a garage and has been struggling to start each morning, so I'm definitely going to have to get it tested.
So as another PSA to everyone, I never got this tested and my husband ended up out one night last week over an hour away from here with a dead battery. We now have a new battery, but don't let this be you!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't get mine tested this year. It will turn four years old during next winter and I will get it checked before the real cold part of winter sets in next year. I usually get five years out of a battery but I will get it checked next year.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do a lot of short trips which is hard on a battery. That is probably why I usually only get about 5 years out of a battery. When we had that brutal cold snap this winter I did a lot of sitting in the car letting it run. When it was fully warmed up I would rev the engine trying to get a full charge back on the battery.