Prozac in kitties?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't remember when exactly we started Maple on the Prozac, maybe about four or five weeks ago? A couple of weeks in, I started noticing less days where the towel was wet. The last two weeks, there has been no wet towel whatsoever! And one of the days last weekend (likely Saturday considering my mind wasn't all here that day), I had picked up the towel to put in the laundry, and never put another one down. And so we left it that way. No wets whatsoever! Even the little poops here and there have decreased.

I hear Maple running around every now and then still. I keep waking up expecting to find the poops (that's what I associate the sound of her running around with) and nothing. And she seems fine, plus I am finding her poops in the litter. This morning, I heard her running around in my room. I turned on the light, and she stared at me for a few seconds and said good morning. And then, she suddenly started playing with a toy mouse that was there.

Ok, in order for you to understand why that is such a big deal, I have to say - Maple doesn't play. Ever. EVER. And there she was, batting around a toy mouse and chasing it across the room. It made me so happy to see that :nod:

helen725

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't remember when exactly we started Maple on the Prozac, maybe about four or five weeks ago? A couple of weeks in, I started noticing less days where the towel was wet. The last two weeks, there has been no wet towel whatsoever! And one of the days last weekend (likely Saturday considering my mind wasn't all here that day), I had picked up the towel to put in the laundry, and never put another one down. And so we left it that way. No wets whatsoever! Even the little poops here and there have decreased.

I hear Maple running around every now and then still. I keep waking up expecting to find the poops (that's what I associate the sound of her running around with) and nothing. And she seems fine, plus I am finding her poops in the litter. This morning, I heard her running around in my room. I turned on the light, and she stared at me for a few seconds and said good morning. And then, she suddenly started playing with a toy mouse that was there.

Ok, in order for you to understand why that is such a big deal, I have to say - Maple doesn't play. Ever. EVER. And there she was, batting around a toy mouse and chasing it across the room. It made me so happy to see that :nod:
That's wonderful to hear that Maple is doing so well on the Prozac!

I believe that the Prozac is helping Maple be the cat she's supposed to be. More playful and happy.
Prozac is very safe as long as the vet is monitoring Maple to see how she's doing on it.
Like with my cat Monte, he's been on a low dose of Prozac for quite some time and we'll be doing bloodwork the next time the vet checks him just to make sure that the Prozac is okay for his system- which I'm sure it is. He's happy, healthy and we have no issues with him.

Last edited:

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Prozac is a great drug. It worked for Psycho for 6 years. He just didn't need it any longer. Good luck with Maple , she ll do good on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
It kinda reminds me of when Sara started getting treated for hyperthyroidism. The difference in her was amazing. Her personality just started shining through.

I'm so happy Maple is feeling so happy.