Proviable Forte paste--can I keep the extra?

bluebklyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nishi had a recent bout of diarrhea and the vet gave us a Proviable Forte kit that came with a tube of paste. There is 15ml in the tube and we only needed 6ml of it. Can I keep the rest in case she needs it again? It doesn't expire until next year and I hate to waste it if it will stay good.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask the vet? I’d hate for you to waste time on spoiled probiotics if it doesn’t keep once opened.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi bluebklyn !

Just squeeze the tube so that the paste comes up to a tad over the top, carefully place the top/cover/'lid' over that, then close it up tight.......put it in the fridge........and, use it when you need/wish to.

Light and air are the enemies of biological substances............airtight and in the dark? You're 'good-to-go next time.

I wouldn't expect to get reliable (reputable) information from the receptionists at the clinic during 'Covid times'......all indications from the industry sites are that veterinary staff are 'chasing their tails' inside most clinics these days. We've seen instances of treatment errors and poor communication about treatments already provided, expectations on outcomes, prognosis and the like. IF all of that is suffering, well,...........

FWIW........from the website:

How should Proviable® products be stored?
The probiotic bacteria in Proviable products are protected to ensure viability with storage at room temperature, not to exceed 77° F, for two years. The expiration dates are found on the packaging. If there is concern about storage at temperatures above 77° F, Proviable products can be stored in the refrigerator as long as they are not frozen.​

If there were to be any value in any phone call, it would have to be in one to the manufacturer (keeping in mind these lines are often staffed by call center folks.....provided with an alpha binder of all possible questions.....from which they'll read to you).

Contact Us​

946 Quality Drive​
Lancaster, SC 29720​

Toll Free: (888) 886-6442​
Local: (803) 289-6000​

Maybe some help in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebklyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FWIW........from the website:

How should Proviable® products be stored?
The probiotic bacteria in Proviable products are protected to ensure viability with storage at room temperature, not to exceed 77° F, for two years. The expiration dates are found on the packaging. If there is concern about storage at temperatures above 77° F, Proviable products can be stored in the refrigerator as long as they are not frozen.​
I saw the temperature part on the packaging and I don't think it was really "sealed" so that's why I wondered. Hopefully we won't need it again, but I'd hate for it to go to waste OR have to pay for it again. Thanks for finding that!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have kept Pro Pectalin which is a very similar product for the long term, based on expiration dates. In fact, the vet has me keep it on hand for the dog as he has chronic conditions.