Protein "sensitivity/allergy" If Fed One Type Exclusively?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope I’m not pulling us too far from the original topic but the Feline Nutrition article really caught my attention because of the distinction between sensitivity (or intolerance) and allergy.
Well it seems we've lost the OP anyway.

I agree with mschauer mschauer that the distinction isn’t as important as finding the offending ingredient, but after reading the article, I wonder if Lily would find some relief with an antihistamine.
I think it is important that the vet know the distinction. I find it surprising that your vet would think scratching isn't a sign of allergy. I didn't know sensitivities can cause itching. I thought it was always a histamine reaction which only happens with allergies. But I'm not a vet. :dunno:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory , yes, I definitely see your point on the treatment side of things! Is Lily's itching abating with the no-chicken diet?
No, but the trial has been a bit plagued with missteps. After two weeks, I caught The Spouse "helping" by stirring Iris's chicken and then using the same fork to stir Lily's pork. ("That much can't make any difference," he said. :frustrated:) So I started over only to have to go out of town for a week because of a family emergency. I've started over yet again because I don't trust that The Spouse was careful.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I think it is important that the vet know the distinction. I find it surprising that your vet would think scratching isn't a sign of allergy. I didn't know sensitivities can cause itching. I thought it was always a histamine reaction which only happens with allergies. But I'm not a vet. :dunno:
Yes, I'm surprised, too, after reading the Feline Nutrition article and then reading additional information on at least one vet school site that said the same as FN. Very frustrating.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm surprised, too, after reading the Feline Nutrition article and then reading additional information on at least one vet school site that said the same as FN. Very frustrating.
BTW, you can give cats Benadryl (an anti-histamine). You'll have to research the dosage. And you should get your vet's approval first.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
According to Dr. Dodd:

“Food allergies reflect a more immediate immunological response. A classic example of a food allergy is anaphylactic shock caused by peanuts: as soon as the person or animal comes in contact with the allergen – the peanuts – their airway closes and they cannot breathe. This response is virtually instantaneous. Boom! The antigen (in this case, peanuts) triggers an immediate, and sometimes life-threatening, immunological and physiological reaction. Rashes, hives and swollen eyes are examples of less severe – but also serious – allergic responses.”

“Food sensitivity (or intolerance), on the other hand, is typically a chronic condition and often does not involve an immunological response. It generally builds up over time – perhaps even after months or years of exposure to the offending food.
Common signs of food sensitivity include:
• GI tract issues similar to Irritable Bowel Disorder (IBD)
• Chronic scratching itchy skin
• Chronic burping and gas rumblings (borborigmi)
• Chronic skin, ear and foot infections, especially.”

Source: ttps://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/25934674990/dog-food-sensitivity-versus-dog-food-allergy

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh! So itching actually isn't a symptom of an allergy but is a symptom of an intolerance. How interesting! Goes to show yet again how "common knowledge" can be soooo wrong!

Don't rashes and hives usually itch though?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh! So itching actually isn't a symptom of an allergy but is a symptom of an intolerance. How interesting! Goes to show yet again how "common knowledge" can be soooo wrong!

Yes, rashes and hives can (and in my experience almost always do) itch horribly! I don't think it's any stretch to say they imply itching. (I wonder if the difference with sensitivity itching is that it presents with no lesions or fewer noticeable lesions? Hives and rashes are often very obvious.) Also, in humans, a mild version of food allergies (rather than the full-on version, anaphylactic shock) can include another sort of itching, in the mouth and throat. I get this when I eat certain foods, like hazelnuts and certain raw fruits.

FWIW, the Mayo Clinic lists itching along with hives and eczema.

What a lovely -- and, really, very useful -- topic this is! ;)

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise

But as is so often the case, here’s an article from Tufts vet school that says allergies, primarily to proteins but not exclusively, cause scratching and other reactions.

What every pet owner should know about food allergies

We all just have to read and listen to information from reputable, often contradictory, sources and make the best decisions we can.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, in humans, a mild version of food allergies (rather than the full-on version, anaphylactic shock) can include another sort of itching, in the mouth and throat. I get this when I eat certain foods, like hazelnuts and certain raw fruits.
And in an animal, itching in the mouth and throat could cause them to scratch their face and neck.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is especially instructive of how difficult it is to get complete, trustworthy information from the internet! :lol:
I know! And sometimes from doctors, too! My doctor told me it's dangerous to use extra-virgin olive oil in cooking, meaning heated, at all... considering that I use it all the time for low-key sauteing, of course I checked this one out and found it's a long-standing urban legend, according to Dr. Joanna, among others. And then there was the vet who told me Rad Cat's not a complete food. That one really made me want to bang my head against the wall.

And in an animal, itching in the mouth and throat could cause them to scratch their face and neck.
Yes, that's a very good point.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think Dr. Dodd would say that allergies can’t cause itching. Her article is a bit misleading though because she didn’t mention it. It sounds like what might be a good way to discern between the two though is that an allergic response is usually quite immediate.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if that (rotating ingredients doesn't prevent allergies) makes me feel better or not, but I'll still try and have a menu that I work from where I'm giving different brands from one day to the next (depending on what the cat has to say about it of course LOL).
The thought being if there is an allergy present, less of the allergen is better.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think Dr. Dodd would say that allergies can’t cause itching.
Quite possibily. Yet another problem with getting information off the internet: Even if the source is knowledgeable and credible they may be trying to destill a vast amount of complex information down to the essential facts to make it easy for consumption by laypersons and in the process some important details may be lost for the sake of brevity.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if that (rotating ingredients doesn't prevent allergies) makes me feel better or not, but I'll still try and have a menu that I work from where I'm giving different brands from one day to the next (depending on what the cat has to say about it of course LOL).
The thought being if there is an allergy present, less of the allergen is better.
On the other hand, the more you vary the food the more likely you are to introduce an allergen. :headscratch:

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm, I didn't look at it that way, and I sure can't argue with it either.
:read: :sweat: :gaah:
Toss a coin? :lol:

Honestly I wouldn't even worry about the allergy/intolerance thing. The plain truth is we don't know how it happens. Given that, anything we try to do to avoid it could unintentionally make matters worst.

I say feed a variety for the sake of giving kitties a variety and hope better information comes to light at some point.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toss a coin? :lol:

Honestly I wouldn't even worry about the allergy/intolerance thing. The plain truth is we don't know how it happens. Given that, anything we try to do to avoid it could unintentionally make matters worst.

I say feed a variety for the sake of giving kitties a variety and hope better information comes to light at some point.
Exactly! There'd be a huge rebellion here if we didn't feed variety. That's the main thing I focus on, at least for now, just keeping them interested in their food.