Protective Cats

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your cats ever get protective over you or another cat?

I had to bring Maisie to the vet today and she was not happy about me tricking her to get into the kennel, so Remy reacted to Maisie's "screaming" by trying to fight me. When I finally got Maisie settled in the kennel, I started getting ready to leave and Remy started attacking my legs. In general, Remy is a brat anyway, but he seemed very genuinely concerned about Maisie. He's been looking for her since she's still at the vet, but I'm curious how he'll react when she comes home in a couple of hours.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our former feral Barry is a doting big brother/step dad to our kitten Paisley. She got "stuck" on top of some folding tv tray tables and Barry came running and meowing at her. He didn't go pick her up, but he almost never makes a peep, much less a loud fuss like that. It was adorable.

When we moved with Barry and Duncan (both about 18 months old at the time), I had one shot to get Barry into the carrier. I tricked him and dumped him into the carrier and Duncan starts WAILING like he is being tortured. Normally, Duncan's reaction to Barry would be to wrestle him or ignore him. I felt freaking awful for what I did to both of them to move them. We scrambled to get everything else packed for them, into the car and then into their new safe room, but I felt like crap for doing that to Barry.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
99% of the time, Feeby goes wild, crazy, ballistic when another cat comes through our yard (she spends a lot time on our screened in patio). My husband says it is because she is protecting us and is our 'watch-cat'. I say she just plain hates other cats...

However, my neighbor is currently taking care of two abandoned cats/strays. The older one rarely leaves her yard - that is until the teenage brat cat goes wandering - then the older one follows her around and tries to corral her back to their 'home base'.