Protecting My Kitties

RainieCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone. I haven't posted in a long while. Everything is fine with my babies. They are around 9 months old now and doing well. We now know them quite well as their personalities have become apparent...very apparent. :lol: Both cats are very skittish. If there is a loud noise they are gone like a rocket. They love to nestle up to Daphne when she is on the porch which irritates her no end because her main job is chasing cats and gophers. The kitties learned right away that when she chases them and bumps them, they just flop over and lay there until she gets disgusted and walks away. Once Nellie ran up a tree and Daphne was so excited she had treed her but then Nellie used her back as a midpoint to get back to the ground. I laughed so hard.

Nellie is the smaller black kitty. She is lightening fast and will leap right into the air to catch bugs. They both love the water and will play for 20 mins in the bird baths when we fill them. Both cats will run to me when they hear my voice and want petted and held, but only for about 20 seconds tops. Then they leap out of my arms and stroll off like okay that's enough. They do not like any other touching. We have a routine for the cat collars that have had to grow with them and for the flea treatments. When I lock down on them they know to do as mommy says and endure the indignities.

Mist is the Siamese. He is more loving but much more likely to blow up in your face if something spooks him and everything does. I thought my horse that would spook at mud puddles and butterflies was bad....he is a love kitty though. He is much more shall we say LAZY??? He eats most of the food, sleeps in all the best spots, sleeps most of the day and the night and lets Nellie catch the lizards and bugs then helps himself.

The cats are not truly feral but they are far from domesticated.

They don't mind worth beans, they don't come when I call and they love when we lock them in the garage. It is crowded like a storage unit and they climb all over stuff. Several hours later I will open the door and they are both sitting there looking at me, but then when I go inside they follow me back in. You would think they would want outside but nope.

They also have learned to listen for the sliding patio door and will shoot inside with only an inch to spare before it closes on them. Then it is hide and seek until I can find them. This especially irritates Daphne because she knows they are not allowed in the house. That is her domain.
Sometimes when Daphne walks past Nellie when she is laying down she will reach out and try to grab Daphne's hind leg. Too cute. Of course Daphne whirls around and bumps her to get her to run but she doesn't move. Nellie also is liquid. I can reach down to pick her up from the ground and she feels like a piece of saltwater taffy you are pulling. She just drapes all over.

Neither cat is aggressive and now the feral/stray cats are trying to take over their cattery. They know what time we feed and wait for us to leave. We have chased them off several times. These guys are twice as big and much older than our kitties which just sit on the other side of the play pen and watch the big cats take their food. The other day a huge orange and white feral/stray was sleeping on the choicest cat perch which is where Mist always sleeps and mist was waaaay over on the other side watching him.

So here is the problem, how to keep letting my cats have open doors to their cattery so they can enjoy their property but keep the other critters out. Any ideas?

I had thought of a microchip cat door but I can't afford that. Evening feed is not a problem because we lock them up at night. I could feed them in the morning and take the food out after they eat a little but they like to eat through out the day and it doesn't stop the big cats from taking over the cattery for sleeping. I don't want to trap the big cats because they might actually belong to a neighbor. Only one has a notched ear and they do not seem to want to beat up our cats or pick on them which is good.

My cats will crawl through black plastic, plastic tubs etc. But I think even of I tried a puzzle type entry the other cats would just watch and figure it out. Has anyone had a similar problem? The cats have to stay where they are as we are allergic. Pics wouldn't load. I will try again later.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi RainieCat RainieCat . If I'm visualizing your cattery correctly, your options are limited to the cat access microchipped door if you wish to keep the other cats out for sleep time. For meals, this could be resolved by having set feeding times and just being present and armed with whatever flavor water pistol suits your fancy, should it be necessary. My kryptonite is looking into their eyes and having an impulse for mentally visualizing someones or an animals pain or discomfort.

You probably should reconsider and give a lot of thought to trapping the big cats. I reason if they belong to someone or have at one point, that they will quickly grow comfortable to approaching you close enough for you to touch them. At least in this way you should be able to identify the ones potentially belong to someone. In my opinion, if a someone allows their indoor cat to roam about, that they risk greater perils to their cat than having them trapped and rehomed.

Take pictures of the "big cats" and post them with notices that you will be trapping, neutering and rehoming them. Just some thoughts.

Can you share some pictures of your cattery?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RainieCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the insight. Sounds good and few reasons and fixes I hadn't thought of. I tried to load some pics but they said I had to go to a different format. I will try again later this evening. I know they help a lot.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow what cute babies! So I’m a little confused because your cattery seems more than adequate to keep the kittens in all the time? I know you don’t want them in the house but you cattery looks plenty big. That way you could keep the other cats out or feed them as you choose.
Don’t feel guilty because they are not allowed complete freedom to roam. Their lifespan would be greatly extended by living in security.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does look like a nice enclosure. What adorable kitties.:)

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very nice cattery! Such precious kittens. Making some sort of difficult entrance to keep out the unwelcomed cats out just isn't feasible...as cats r cats. Those little brains are always examining things from every angle like Leonardo Da Vinci, Einstein and Houdini rolled into one. No joke. They are instinctively calculating thinkers and problem solvers. They are extremely fast at it. Like a reflex action in their little brains. (example: This cat literally "Parkour" his way out of a tight spot.
I have seen the chip doors during my web shopping but I have never stopped to give their reviews an analysis. If it comes to this, be careful so you don't get stuck with a useless piece of high-tech gadgetry and plastic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RainieCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the cattery is quite large. We made it so we could lock them up at night and they would be safe in the new chicken coop turned into a cat house and the attached playpen for outdoors feel and exercise. The cattery is covered now with a rain proof cover. They love for papa to lift up the tarps and let the water run down the sides. My cats Love water, turn on a garden hose and here they come....oh and when I mentioned earlier that we sometimes lock them in the garage? That is when they go in and we don't see them. When I go back out to switch the laundry they are!!
None the worse. LOL

They love staying out in the playpen on a moonlit night and watching the other night creatures. We lock them in when we will be gone for the day or in bad weather as they prefer to be in the cattery then. We let them out every morning for the day when we are home and since we are retired we are home most of the time, and we clean the litter boxes and feed them then too. They nibble on breakfast and then run out to play. They usually go back into the cattery to nap through the afternoons then they come out again until dinner.
Sometimes they nap on the front porch on Daphne's rug which has an anti-fatigue mat under it. This really disgusts her. She hates it when they get on her rug, but worse is when they curl up next to her. She will only lay there for awhile then she is woo wooing to get me to let her back in the house. Durned cats anyway!
We have a half acre with a 1/4 acre with four heavily landscaped terraces behind the house and a large rock garden area in the front yard. The other 1/4 acre is the lowest level of the property and is the fruit and nut tree orchard. They run straight down there every morning as soon as we let them out to catch bugs for breakfast, chase each other in and out of the trees and come to us for their morning hugs and pets. The other stray cats wait until the coast is clear and head for the breakfast food in the pen. They have to brave the kitty excelerator (white bucket that connects the two pens.) They never remember how to run back through it though when we catch them out there.

Hubby and I have too much to do to babysit the food and locking my cats up during the day is not an option. They play all over the whole property, the garage, my studio, hubbies wood shop etc. They even sneak past me into the house if they can and then it is a game of hide and seek and then hugs and purrs as I carry them back outside. Thanks for all the compliments and advice, I am still working on a plan. If I come up with something I will run it past y'all. Didn't Nellie look like a little Griffin as baby? She was sooo ugly she was cute. She is much prettier now. Pics: Daphne in my truck going bye bye and Nellie using statuary to try to get the leaf.

Attachments