Protecting feral cats from roads

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys,
I've been having feral cats in my backyard for almost 3 years, and every now and then some cats seem to disappear , and sometimes, if not most of the time, they get ran over. I really hate to see it, so I bought some sort of orange oil cat repellent from Amazon, and i spray it on the sides of the road, but it doesn't seem to be having tremendous effect despite the positive reviews I saw. Alongside this, how else can I prevent the cats from wandering off into the roads?
Thanks in advance :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only sure fire way is to either bring them inside to make them inside cats. Yes it can be done with completely feral cats. Or build them a catio where they are still outside, but no longer free roaming.

Cars are one of the biggest dangers for cats. It is so hard to keep them safe.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are you involved in a TNR project? That would help keep down the number of ferals. And, once they are neutered/spayed, you could join a program (or two) to socialize them and get them adopted. Maybe not all, but some. Building an enclosure to keep them safe is also an option. But, depending on the number of ferals you are talking about, you are going to have to go much more 'high scale' than trying to use a cat repellent on the road.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Most of those "sprays" either repellents, predator urine, etc do not work except in very confined places. Orange oil might work if a pet cat needed to be kept out of a certain place in the house....maybe. Not your fault as you are trying and there are always reviewers who have had spectacular success, supposedly, with these product. I would try to follow the previous suggestions to protect the cats.