Proportion of chicken

Niharika_k666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many grams of boiled chicken can I feed my four month old kitten. Please give the proportion with dry food. How much to increase it gradually

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if you want to make boiled chicken your kitten's only source of food or just feed a little as a treat or snack. Feeding a small amount of plain meat with no added vitamins and other nutrients is fine -- I've seen figures ranging from 10 to 20% of the cat's diet but I wouldn't want to feed more than 10% myself. You probably already know this but just in case: If it's more than that small amount, the boiled chicken would need to be supplemented with all the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients (like taurine) that the kitten needs to grow and develop properly. There are lots of good recipes online that are balanced with this in mind.

The general advice on feeding kittens is that they can be fed as much as they'll eat. Every cat eats differently, depending on size, activity, and other factors, so it's hard to say how much yours would need.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitten needs to eat kitten specific food, both dry and canned. Cooked chicken is ok but only as a treat and no more than 10% of the diet. I'd limit it to no more than 5 grams daily.

If you want to make cooked chicken a bigger part of the diet, you need to supplement it properly. Nutritional imbalance can occur if you feed too much plain chicken or other meat: Unbalanced Diets – Are You Killing Your Cat With Kindness? – TheCatSite Articles There are pre-mixes you can use that will turn meat into a complete diet. There are also recipes. Take a look here for some: Home-Cooked Cat Food Resources