proper care

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my brothers has 2 cats, he loves them very much. but... he doesnt take the best care of them. He rarely changes their litter, rarely feeds them(when he does he just dumps out a bunch of food), and doesnt get the shots they need ever. They both have bad skin and flea allergies, one has fur missing all over and the other has little scabs all over her. He only put flea collars on them every so often. He lets them free range outside, so they are indoor and outdoor cats. I know I'm not the perfect care taker of my cats myself, but i think he doesnt take good care of them at all. How do I tell him and does anyone have tips or advice.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's your brother. Can you not speak frankly with him? Just have him LOOK at them and ask him if that's what a cat should look like, (fur missing over most of his body, and little scabs all over the other one's body). And I'll bet they are scratching constantly too. Ask him if he would enjoy itching all the time?

I can't think for him, but am guessing he thinks they hunt for food? This might be so, but it an easy way for cats to end up getting sick, as many small animals carry diseases. Am I am guessing the same holds true for not cleaning their litter box? He figures if it's not cleaned they can just go outside? This is also true, they can, and they can mess up smeone's yard trying to bury it, etc. Which doesn't make for a nice neighbor. You can try explaining all this to him.

And lastly, you can tell him how very important it is to get them vaccinated, particularly since they are outside as it is so easy to catch something from other cats/animals (think rabies) Are they at least neutered/spayed? If not, all it takes is one bite from a cat with Feline Leukemia and/or FIV for them to become infected.

If he truly loves them much, he will take steps to see to them comfort. If he "poo poos" you, ask if you can take over their care.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think you have a 'tough one' on your hands, especially if you and your brother are both younger. Sometimes, siblings tend to pay more attention to outsiders rather than their 'family circle', particularly when on the younger side. The fact that you are coming to this site to ask for some assistance says you probably don't have the best open rapport with your brother. But, it is good that he loves his cats. All of what mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens said above is absolutely on target! However, would it help any to look through these TCS articles (see below) to find 'tips', or perhaps even share them with him to see if that makes a difference? Does your brother have any cat lover friends that might also help to 'head him in the right direction' - some that you could talk to?
How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat? – TheCatSite Articles
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's your brother. Can you not speak frankly with him? Just have him LOOK at them and ask him if that's what a cat should look like, (fur missing over most of his body, and little scabs all over the other one's body). And I'll bet they are scratching constantly too. Ask him if he would enjoy itching all the time?

I can't think for him, but am guessing he thinks they hunt for food? This might be so, but it an easy way for cats to end up getting sick, as many small animals carry diseases. Am I am guessing the same holds true for not cleaning their litter box? He figures if it's not cleaned they can just go outside? This is also true, they can, and they can mess up smeone's yard trying to bury it, etc. Which doesn't make for a nice neighbor. You can try explaining all this to him.

And lastly, you can tell him how very important it is to get them vaccinated, particularly since they are outside as it is so easy to catch something from other cats/animals (think rabies) Are they at least neutered/spayed? If not, all it takes is one bite from a cat with Feline Leukemia and/or FIV for them to become infected.

If he truly loves them much, he will take steps to see to them comfort. If he "poo poos" you, ask if you can take over their care.
We arent that close actually. But i will try to tell him all of this. and yes they are spayed/neutered. He loves them a lot I just don't think he has enough time to take care of them.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I think you have a 'tough one' on your hands, especially if you and your brother are both younger. Sometimes, siblings tend to pay more attention to outsiders rather than their 'family circle', particularly when on the younger side. The fact that you are coming to this site to ask for some assistance says you probably don't have the best open rapport with your brother. But, it is good that he loves his cats. All of what mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens said above is absolutely on target! However, would it help any to look through these TCS articles (see below) to find 'tips', or perhaps even share them with him to see if that makes a difference? Does your brother have any cat lover friends that might also help to 'head him in the right direction' - some that you could talk to?
How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat? – TheCatSite Articles
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles
He's older than me and is very stubborn. I will try to get some other people to help me out and let him look at some of these articles.Thank you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a recent article about Seresto flea collars being linked to numerous pet deaths and harm to people: Popular flea collar linked to almost 1,700 pet deaths. The EPA has issued no warning. Just an FYI if that's the brand of flea collar your brother is using. Hartz flea collars are known to be harmful.

He loves them a lot I just don't think he has enough time to take care of them.

Then maybe owning cats just isn't working out for his lifestyle :dunno: Sure, cats don't need much but they do need proper care daily and obviously vet care for the flea and skin issues.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's a recent article about Seresto flea collars being linked to numerous pet deaths and harm to people: Popular flea collar linked to almost 1,700 pet deaths. The EPA has issued no warning. Just an FYI if that's the brand of flea collar your brother is using. Hartz flea collars are known to be harmful.

Then maybe owning cats just isn't working out for his lifestyle :dunno: Sure, cats don't need much but they do need proper care daily and obviously vet care for the flea and skin issues.
I saw that post, i had them on some of our dogs...took them off after i saw it. I'm not sure what brand he had on them but he hasnt put them on in a while. I don't think he will ever give up his cats though, even if he cant take care of them. but thanks for the info.