Progressive Histiocytosis and Open wound

Status
Not open for further replies.

urban

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone This is my first post on this site. I am trying to what's in the best interests and care for my dying cat, Tiger. She's been with my wife and I for over 16 years and has greeted our guests at the Dance Studio we own reassuring couples and singles. Back in July of 2019 we had a tumor removed from her leg that had been growing in size to the point where it looked uncomfortable. The Surgeon determined it was a progressive histiocytosis which has no cure and we were unfortunately unable to contain the border. She gave her 15 months. It reappeared this past July and now has grown and ruptured so that there is a open wound. We spray it with Vetericyn daily to try and avoid infection but she doesn't like surgical padding in her cat bed so we just use a clean pillow cover and replace it. She also has a couple of raised bumps, one on her face below her right eye and a one on her head above her eye. She also is dealing with Kidney disease and is in renal failure according to the Surgeon. We've been treating her with subcutaneous fluids (150-200cc) every other day. Occasional we will pill her with anti nausea (cerenia) and appetite stimulant transdermal (mirtazapine) on her ear. We have given her buprenorphine when this wound seemed irritated in the past but she becomes very quiet and non responsive like a Zombie. She has also developed an eye infection that we received an antibiotic ointment for that seems to be working. She struggles with Nausea and poor appetite some days but is better because we increased the frequency of fluids. I tried using a cone to prevent her from licking her wound but it interfered with her eating . She does not lick the wound very often and doesn't seem as bothered by it as we are. We moved her from the studio to our bedroom along with her sister, Midnight for the Holiday. They have always been together and this gives them both a sense of normalcy in a house where two other cats are nearby. They have been here before so they are as comfortable as can be. Her behavior changes after she has absorbed the fluids. She enjoys head scratches and will rub her face into my hand and seems at peace. I am reaching out to see if there is any thing else I can try. She will be seeing the Vet tomorrow to check on the progress of her eye infection. (it looks better) I am anxious and will look for signs to see if this is her time.

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing everything you can do. Give her what she needs to be comfortable, but don't overcrowd her.

Take care of yourself. Are you eating well, sleeping well, exercising, laughing? Are you playing with the other cats? Are you and your wife making time for just the two of you?

I helped a very special cat in his final days. He was my world. Our stress affects them. He would have been more comfortable if I had been taking better care of myself at the time.

You will know when it is her time. She will tell you. God Bless you all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for what Tiger is going through. It is likely that the condition has spread to some of her organs, and that is what I would ask the vet about - does it then become painful. As nodules unto themselves, they are generally painless. But, I would image the rupture, along with her other health conditions are probably playing a greater role in her discomfort. Ask the vet what other meds could be tried in lieu of the buprenorphine, or if a lower dose should be tried. Some cats respond better to different meds. The fact that the fluids make her feel better, tells me maybe the kidney issues are a big chunk of her problems.

There are more comfortable cones to use, if and when you thinks she needs one. Inflatable ones are a good example.

The odd thing is that I did a search on this site for histiocytosis and the few results were for dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

urban

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you are doing everything you can do. Give her what she needs to be comfortable, but don't overcrowd her.

Take care of yourself. Are you eating well, sleeping well, exercising, laughing? Are you playing with the other cats? Are you and your wife making time for just the two of you?

I helped a very special cat in his final days. He was my world. Our stress affects them. He would have been more comfortable if I had been taking better care of myself at the time.

You will know when it is her time. She will tell you. God Bless you all.

urban

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. It’s been very difficult. I think giving her the space she needs and not overcrowding her is good advice as is taking care of ourselves. I must share that I have had my share of dying cats in the past 5 years. We’ve lost four precious cats and my wife’s parents over that time. I seem to be the care taker of the cats as they have adopted me into the family. This is what happens when you mary the Crazy Cat Lady. We shall see what tomorrow brings. Whatever it is I be done my best .

urban

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for what Tiger is going through. It is likely that the condition has spread to some of her organs, and that is what I would ask the vet about - does it then become painful. As nodules unto themselves, they are generally painless. But, I would image the rupture, along with her other health conditions are probably playing a greater role in her discomfort. Ask the vet what other meds could be tried in lieu of the buprenorphine, or if a lower dose should be tried. Some cats respond better to different meds. The fact that the fluids make her feel better, tells me maybe the kidney issues are a big chunk of her problems.

There are more comfortable cones to use, if and when you thinks she needs one. Inflatable ones are a good example.

The odd thing is that I did a search on this site for histiocytosis and the few results were for dogs.
Thank you for these ideas. I want to make her as comfortable as possible so that I don’t have to be Cat Kavorkian . I hope she can leave peacefully on her own.

urban

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your kindness and advice during this terrible time. My Wife unfortunately contracted COVID and got the word on the 5th. That was a terrible day for Tiger.She was not Eating . She was staring and not responding to our petting favorably. She was growling instead. Her wound erupted and when we checked on her her mouth was covered in blood and it was oozing from her wound. She was licking the area as if it were irritated, We had just given her fluids a couple of hours ago and let her rest afterwards but I knew at this moment that her quality of life was not what it should be to continue treatment. I decided at this point to take her to the Vet for euthanasia. I took her in her bed so she would not be too disturbed and so she could have one last car ride with me. The hardest part was not being able to have my wife with me. She said her goodbyes from outside the car window at our house. I took a long slow ride with tiger to the Vet. Before I gave her some pain medication(Buprenofrin) to help her cope. She seemed to appreciate it as she was able to look around during the ride and put her head i my hands as I scratched her forehead for comfort. I could have taken more time but I did not want her to feel more pain. When I got there I wore a mask and kept my distance. They took her in back and returned with an IV in her hind leg to administer anesthesia and then the heart stopping medication. I had a good look in her eyes when she came back and could see out of her one good eye that she could hear me. I petted her and face timed with my Wife so should could hear her one last time. I ended the call and then called the Vet in to administer the meds one after another. She went to sleep peacefully. The Vet took her in back after the she checked her for vital signs and returned her in a blue biodegradable cloth zipper bag so we could bury her in our yard. I'd write more but I am utterly gutted by this. Tiger was a positive beautiful part of our lives and had been with us and the business for almost 16 years. She was source of comfort and joy. The next day I checked into the VA to get tested as I was starting to get symptoms. I was told that evening I was COVID positive. Its really fortunate we could give Tiger her peace in the end.

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, and everything you're going through. Know that you're not alone. There are others who have loved animals as much as you love Tiger. I'm praying for you. One foot in front of the other. There are other souls who need you. May you find a source of strength and inspiration.

Thank you for your kindness and advice during this terrible time. My Wife unfortunately contracted COVID and got the word on the 5th. That was a terrible day for Tiger.She was not Eating . She was staring and not responding to our petting favorably. She was growling instead. Her wound erupted and when we checked on her her mouth was covered in blood and it was oozing from her wound. She was licking the area as if it were irritated, We had just given her fluids a couple of hours ago and let her rest afterwards but I knew at this moment that her quality of life was not what it should be to continue treatment. I decided at this point to take her to the Vet for euthanasia. I took her in her bed so she would not be too disturbed and so she could have one last car ride with me. The hardest part was not being able to have my wife with me. She said her goodbyes from outside the car window at our house. I took a long slow ride with tiger to the Vet. Before I gave her some pain medication(Buprenofrin) to help her cope. She seemed to appreciate it as she was able to look around during the ride and put her head i my hands as I scratched her forehead for comfort. I could have taken more time but I did not want her to feel more pain. When I got there I wore a mask and kept my distance. They took her in back and returned with an IV in her hind leg to administer anesthesia and then the heart stopping medication. I had a good look in her eyes when she came back and could see out of her one good eye that she could hear me. I petted her and face timed with my Wife so should could hear her one last time. I ended the call and then called the Vet in to administer the meds one after another. She went to sleep peacefully. The Vet took her in back after the she checked her for vital signs and returned her in a blue biodegradable cloth zipper bag so we could bury her in our yard. I'd write more but I am utterly gutted by this. Tiger was a positive beautiful part of our lives and had been with us and the business for almost 16 years. She was source of comfort and joy. The next day I checked into the VA to get tested as I was starting to get symptoms. I was told that evening I was COVID positive. Its really fortunate we could give Tiger her peace in the end.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just caught up with your thread, so sorry I missed it. Although I'm too late to respond with any advice I wanted you to know how sorry I am for Tiger's loss. :hugs: Your wife and you gave her a forever home and for that she was grateful. Tiger was very special and a lovely girl. :hearthrob: May her memories live on in your heart. RIP sweet angel.:angel:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
urban urban ,the TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss. Tiger was obviously really special.:rbheart:

Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect, but we invite you to place a tribute at our Crossing the Bridge forum as an enduring testimony to your friend.

We send our best wishes for a speedy recovery to you both. It's been quite a time.

.RIP Lovely Tiger
... :greenpaw: :butterfly: :rbheart: :bluebutterfly: :bluepaw: ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.