Progress With Our Feral Cats.

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About two weeks ago I would go out and sit on the back porch, on my ThermaSeathunter cushion. The Tortie kitten would venture closer and closer to the point she would take treats of of my leg. I soon was able to LIGHTLY pet her on her back, then from the top of her head to the tip of her tail! Now, she'll climb up onto my lap (I'm sitting on the concrete floor) and purr while I pet her and talk to her. The Black Panther kitten will hang out but get go closer than to reach out and smell my fingers. Our Ginger male kitten will stay about six feet away. ... Yesterday and today I've been working with the Tortie and the Panther (the ginger kitten usn't ready quit yet) on the cat doors to their shed home. The doors were installed about two weeks ago but the flaps were tied open. Yesterday, I left the doors open, I just got them comfortable with a small bowl with a small amount of Baby food meat (chicken) in it. Today, I started lowering the door to about 45 degrees. They both went in AND out through the doors to eat the Baby food! All this in about 1/2 hour. We may more than likely see ups and downs in the days ahead, but I'll take today as progress!

Doug

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds very good. You didn't just start this two weeks ago, did you? If so, I would be wondering if they are really ferals, or people have figured out that you and where you are located is a good place to release the cats to your care!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds very good. You didn't just start this two weeks ago, did you? If so, I would be wondering if they are really ferals, or people have figured out that you and where you are located is a good place to release the cats to your care!
FeebysOwner,,,the Feral kittens got here late last winter as kittens and were indeed Feral. We took great pains to make the little kittens as comfortable as we could.

Doug

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bravo! Saving kitties! You are doing all the right things to socialize them. Slow and trusting will get them to totally trust you. Sounds like they already do. This is a wonderful story for me to read. As a stray and feral rescuer it does my heart good to know what you are doing. :clap2:Getting them spayed and neutered will be the most important thing you can do next for them. That way they will remain happy and safe with you. Thank you for making my day! I’m so glad you came to TCS with your kitty story. Welcome! :welcomesign::wave3:

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bravo! Saving kitties! You are doing all the right things to socialize them. Slow and trusting will get them to totally trust you. Sounds like they already do. This is a wonderful story for me to read. As a stray and feral rescuer it does my heart good to know what you are doing. :clap2:Getting them spayed and neutered will be the most important thing you can do next for them. That way they will remain happy and safe with you. Thank you for making my day! I’m so glad you came to TCS with your kitty story. Welcome! :welcomesign::wave3:
jcatbird,,, we did TNR the kittens in the early spring for the exact reason (remaining happy and safe) you mentioned in your post.

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once again, you have made my day! Thank you! I’d love to see pictures of them if you can post some. Love following this kind of story. Please keep us updated! :heartshape:
Jcatbird,,, on this page, you can find my post "Pictures of Our Kitties". I hope you like them!

Doug

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Up dating my "cat door" progress. All three feral cats are wanting their fair share of the bribery food (Baby Food Meat in jar(s) we use. The male cat ("Sonny") is just now coming up near me to sample tid-bits of meat. The female black panther ("Mid-night") will go through (but not liking it to much), but not very far. The Tortie ("Star Baby"), toward the end of the session, would head butt the door open (both ways) which was only opened about one inch from full closed. "Star Baby' will not only climb on my lap to get some petting, but will also let me pet her while she's eating her tit-bits. I have not been able to pet the other two as of yet. My goal ahead is to get "Star Baby" trained first (I'm hoping this will be easier), so she can be the example fir the other two.

Doug