Progress bloodwork- high cholesterol

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As some of you on here may know...my fluffy boy Louie has CHF- diagnosed in April 2019.
We've been seeing his cardiologist regularly since then- every 3 months, eccho and xrays and fluctuating between higher doses/lowering doses of Lasix, plavix and atenolol.

I did take him for regular bloodwork to check kidney values/electrolyes last week... All looked good except for cholesterol, amylase, slightly high Na level.
Havent gotten a call back from the Vet yet- any input on those values? And what I can do to bring it down?
Is it highly fatty foods- he has mostly Sheba Turkey.Chicken and FF Chicken Naturals
I do spoil him with lickable Delectables Chicken Senior 10+ but theres no salt listed in that.
1578946671189.png

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cholesterol is in all animal products, so it's going to be impossible to give him food without any in it. Still, going for lower fat food and managing his weight will help to maintain heart health. Playing with him so he gets mild to moderate intensity exercise will also help to keep cholesterol down. Seeking out low sodium foods may help with sodium. Some of his medications may also influence his labs. Lasix lowers sodium and can raise cholesterol, but of course he needs to keep taking it; it's really important in managing CHF.

Your vet will have a better idea of what numbers are expected given the cat's condition and medications, of course.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! The other thing to do is compare those values to previous bloodwork results and see if the elevations are new. Either way, it might help you know what all to ask about when you discuss the current values with the vet.