Profender??

lindsey1982

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We didn't get a refund or asked to bring Cleo in. They just said they would put a note on the record not to treat him with that again! I got the impression it's pretty common as they didn't seem in the slightest bit concerned

theresa31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
. I just put profender on my ct 2 days ago on . They don't act much different they others got it yesterday. I think they are find mommy cat Princess acts tire but she plays all night then sleeps all day. Normal 4 her. They chase each other. But they always do that. And run threw house . TJ. IS ALWAYS WILD AND CRAZY. HE STILL WILD AND CRAZY. MAYBE MORE SO. THEY ALL ACT FINE. Just Fluffybo desided she'd lick it. But she's ok. Slobber some but shes ok. She probably never do that again. They all seem to be ok. Sorry your kitty had bad reaction. My cat did that on revelution. Lost hair and a sore. I told the vet he changed him to frontline we never had any more trouble. But so fare no hair lose with these kittys. Smokey's hair came back

geri1122

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had an immediate reaction to Profender.  That afternoon she ran a fever and layed under the bed and would not come out.  Day after day this continued and it has been two weeks now.  She is not eating anything but a few Temptation treats.  She hardly even drinks water.  She stays hidden 22 hours a day and only comes out in the evening and walks around the house and goes back to sleep.

I can't take her back to the vet because I can't get her to come out from her hiding place.  I don't know what to do.  I'm afraid she is going to die.

lindsey1982

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You need to ring the vetand explain to them what's happened and if needs be you MUST take her. Sometimes you need to be a little more firm than you would like to be but it has to be done. If she really hasn't ate or drank anything for two weeks, you need to get her to the vet immediately!!!

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to ring the vetand explain to them what's happened and if needs be you MUST take her. Sometimes you need to be a little more firm than you would like to be but it has to be done. If she really hasn't ate or drank anything for two weeks, you need to get her to the vet immediately!!!
I agree 100%

krazy-kat-lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Geri- I also agree w/Lindsey.

Not trying to freak you out but if it were me, I wouldn't wait for her!

If you know where she is, grab her (gently, of course) and run -don't walk- to the vet!

You could further impair her health with every minute you hesitate.

agahoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi geri1122,

Can you let me know what is happening with your cat that got a fever after taking profender.

My cat received a dose 8 days ago and she is running a fever and has had diarrhoea everyday.

I've been to the vet 5 times and they keep trying different things.

The latest one is a steroid today which i haven't given to her yet.

I'm doing a little research first.

rembry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat died today after being treated with profender.  I wouldn't risk it.    I can't believe this product is recommended by vets!

rusty green

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used Profender for the first time on my cat as I cannot get her to take tablets for worming. The vet sold it to me which was fine and she normally has no problems with topical medications e.g spot on for fleas etc. Well I put it on her at the back of her neck a month ago and noticed today that she is loosing fur on her neck under her chin but seems well still. the patch is about 2 inches wide. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned or not? She hunts a lot and I am unsure if it is from the Profender or that she has lost her fur from another issue. 

Thanks in advance for any replies

Rusty

suzjo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat (10 years old) had an adverse reaction to Profender given to him by our vet on 4/16/16. He started vomited within an hour of being given it. Since that time, he has tried to eat and drink water, but continues to vomit. I took him back to the vet yesterday. She was hesitant to say Profender was to blame, but I know in my heart it is. Right now he is in liver failure. He is on iv fluids, and anti-nausea medications and is being required to stay at the vets office. She has warned me that he may not live. I would NEVER give this product to another animal in my life. Rather than to keep him well, this may end up killing him. I would never risk this again.  It is a neurotoxin. I've already been warned that his treatment will be between $800-$1000. All of this because he received a dose of heartworm preventative? I will be pursuing this case with Bayer, the manufacturer of this horrible product. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been doing some research on Profender since there have been some bad and even fatal reactions.  One study proved that emodepside can kill some heartworms in heartworm positive cats and recommend including a warning on the label against using on heartworm-positive cats. 

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Animal...lDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm062332.pdf

You do not want to kill heartworms in cats, because that can kill the cat   While the cat is not a natural host for heartworms, it can still be infected by mosquitoes, just as dogs are.  Usually the cat will have only one or two heartworms and may be completely asymptomatic for the two years that the heartworm lives, but when the heartworm dies, it can be flushed into various blood vessels, eventually blocking the blood supply to a vital organ, or break into pieces and go into the lungs and cause inflammation and swelling with terrible asthma-like symptoms.

I suspect that those cats that have died after a dose of Profender have done so because they had a heartworm that was killed by it.  I would never use this on any cat.  Why risk your cat's life just to avoid having to give a pill or to avoid having to give a second dose of a SAFER medicine two weeks later?  Praziquantel is completely safe; it's the emoepside that is dangerous.  Stick to drontal or a generic version of drontal (praziquantel & pyrantel pamoate) which are safe effective medications that have been used for years. 
I treated all 5 of my cats with Profender after 1 confirmed case of roundworm. 4 of my cats did fine, my 5 year old female Creek had a bad reaction. She appeared fine prior to the application, but over 24 hours later she was lame, spread herself thin on the floor and started panting like mad. It appeared to have absorbed well on my other 4 cats, but left powdery residue on Creek. Took her to the vet in the morning, they said it had nothing to do with Profender. They said she had a heart murmur, did an xray and sent me to have an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed that she had infection in her gallbladder. Treated her with Clavamox, which they said probably isn't strong enough so then treated with Metronidazole. She had a terrible reaction to that, her bum was swollen, fire engine red, and she licked constantly. The vet said to leave it alone and it would clear up.

Switched vet, gave her Amoxicillin, all better now! Also relieved that she has no detectable heart murmur. Feel like I was taken advantage of by that vet. My new vet says he can't imagine why they would give Metronidazole.

It's hard to say if it was the Profender, but I have read online that pet owners have been told their cat has a heart murmur after Profender. Will probably stick to Drontal in the future for worm treatment.

smudgebug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do not risk it!!

My 3 1/2 year old cat was given this medicine as a preventative measure. I should have done my research and questioned it before i said okay. By that night her fur started falling out and she started scratching at it like crazy.

By the next day she had a bald spot where it had been applied and the skin had become very irritated from scratching. She then developed a fever and the fur on her whole body turned dull and coarse. We brought her to the emergency vet and they washed and bathed her and gave her a steroid shot. This seemed to calm down the initial symptoms.

However, the next week she developed a severe cold, sneezing and a runny nose. This has since turned to vomiting and her being unable to keep food down. We had to return to the emergency vet again to keep her hydrated. She has not been herself since the medication. There were days when she would just hide and isolate herself and not want to play or eat. They still don't know what is going on. They have run tests and she will probably be going in for an ultrasound. 

Meanwhile we have already spent over 1,000 dollars and still don't know what's wrong. I have decided to try some sort of natural detox, so if anyone has any suggestions for how to do that and/or if anyone found out what was causing their cat to vomit after using profender and what they did about it - I would greatly appreciate it!!!!! Please and thank you!

All i know is that a month ago, I had a healthy young cat and now we are just hoping this doesn't turn into something that we can't fix. :(

smudgebug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What ended up happening with your kitty's vomiting? Did they find the cause and were they able to help? My cat is having a the same adverse reaction from profender and the vet is still not 100% sure what is going on and we are not sure what to do. 

suzjo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please have your vet report this to Bayer Corporation! The more complaints Bayer receives from veterinarians, maybe they will start to take this seriously. My vet opened a case with Bayer, the maker of Profender, but since the cat has since recovered, I am not sure what to do about it. My situation started in April. He almost lost his life due to hepatic lipidosis (liver failure) from his refusal to eat. Everything he tried to eat after receiving the Profender, he vomited right back up. He ended up at the vet's office for several days on an iv drip and on pain meds as his liver and pancreas were swollen. Our vet was force-feeding him and giving his anti-nausea meds through the iv. Once home, we continued to give him antibiotics, pain meds, a liver enzyme, an appetite stimulant. If he didn't eat for us, we would have had to go back and have the vet put in a feeding tube. I took vacation from work to stay home to watch over home for two or three days. Right now, we are about $2900 into this, all because he was given Profender.

smudgebug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet also reported it to Bayer. However, companies like Bayer are so big and have so many lawyers protecting them and their a**es that I am not holding out much hope that they will do the right thing.  

Her initial blood work came back okay, but they also have had to give her fluids and have her on anti-nausea medication. She has lost a lot of weight, however, she seems to be able to eat okay (doesn't refuse food) while on the medication. She starts vomiting as soon as we take her off it though. We're saving up to give her the ultrasound. It might take a few weeks, but I was thinking of trying pro-biotics/ enzymes a natural liver detox supplement in the mean time. Did you try anything like that?

suzjo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, our vet gave us Denosyl for his liver. I think that was a prescription. But then she recommended we get a supplement called L-Carnitine, which comes in capsule form. We got it at our local grocery store in the vitamin department. We took the capsules apart and gave 1/2 of the powder mixed with water by dropper to him once every 24 hours until we took him back for lab work about 4 weeks later. He hated doing it, but we got enough down him each day, that I do think it helped.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From the HartzVictims.org site, here is another case that could well be caused by a heartworm dying and passing through the blood vessels.  The main complaints on the Hartz site are because of the chemicals they use in their flea preventatives, but someone mentioned Profender and the heart embolism that killed the cat, and it sounds just like a heartworm embolism.

"We applied profender to our cat, according to the instructions with the drug, on April 20, 2008.
On May 15, 2008, she died of, according to the vet, “Strongly suspect aortic thromboembolism (ATE). No history of heart disease.”

Anybody have a similar experience? Is there any suspect relationship between profender and cats dead from aortic thromboembolism?"

galis mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our vet used profender on our 3 yr old cat. Historically we have always used revolution. Within an hour of the profender he was foaming at the mouth. He did this on and off all night and refused to eat.  By the next morning he had a 103.9 temp and was is distress. We ran to emergency at 5 am.  On the table during the examination he sneezed and in the spittle was a cuterbra parasite.  The vet was amazed he sneezed it out.  Thinking he would improve he was transferred back to our vet who continued fluids, gave anti nausea and appetite stimulate meds and monitored him.  By the next morning he clearly was not ok, had not eaten now for almost 2 days. I ran him back to vet and was sent to a specialty vet who had a scope available to evaluate his nasal passages.  The specialty vet, opted to not scope him as it appeared he had an allergic reaction to the profender.  After three days in the critical care unit of the animal hospital my cat is better but clearly not himself.  He has trouble swallowing and he is exhausted.  He required tube feeding and multiple invasive tests.  Our vet had no way of knowing the cat would respond to this med, but  I am concerned that there is long term damage..

suzjo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would definitely recommend that your vet do follow-up lab work. My cat showed increase liver enzymes immediately afterwards that showed he was in liver failure (hepatic lipidosis). We had to have blood work again at 6 week intervals to make sure the levels were going back to normal. She also opened up a case with Bayer, the maker of Profender, due to his severe reaction to the drug. Keep us posted about your fur baby.

jules10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used Droncit on my cats for many years for tapeworm with  no adverse effects.  Sure it is a pill and yes, you have to pill the cat.  It is a bit of an inconvenience but it is not the inconvenience that I see here.

I am beginning to believe that ALL of these topical products are not safe.  They all seem to have one thing in common and that is that they are neurotoxins.  There is nothing worse that seeing a beloved cat die of neurotoxic paralysis as my cat did!

I don't care about "convenience".   I care a whole lot more about my cats and their health!

This is an outrage!  I am really sad to see this thread on yet another "new" innovation that is so fabulous (NOT!).

Be sure to add this one to your list of things to never consider using on a cat or a kitten.  Get some Droncit or Drontal as it is also called as it does the job well and it is not expensive and I have never seen any side effects and have safely used this on my cats for tapeworm brought on by fleas for 40+ years!

I hope Profender is pulled from the market soon!  This is horrible!