problems with quilting frame

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I got a bit of a problem, for the 4th time I have form Mai Sai sleeping on my room mate's quilting frame. This very bad, my room mate has gotten rid of a cat before for doing this.
She makes quilts to give to the children in the hospital, which is great, but a cat sleeping on it makes it so its no longer tant, so she can't sew on it right.

Mai Sai is the best cat I've never had, but I just can't seem to break him of this habit. The frame is downstairs and lucky my room mate has never caught him doing it. When ever I see him I pick him up and carry him to my bed...I've tried putting plastic on it, but that doesn't help, he likes plastic, as he does with tin foil...
I remember a charity back in southern utah would make and sell cat beds that look almost just like that for a fund raiser, they were a wood frame with cloth stretched over it tightly. What is the draw of this?

I've made him his own bed (well made is a strong word, I found a tube like bag with a spring that keeps it open, and a flap over the top, turned it on its side and put his favorite blanket in it) and I know he likes it, I often go in to find him asleep in it. He likes to "hide" a bit so the flap was perfect....
I could try and keep him trapped in my rooms (I have two, one without a door) when I'm not with him, but that seems so curl for a 8 month kitten, he needs to run and play...but I'm afraid if my room mate finds it one of us will be asked to move. I would have a hard time finding another place for this price this close to the train...

Does anyone have any ideas? If at all possible I would like to fix this without her finding out...

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From my experience, your only solution is to confine the cat when you're not with him. It's not cruel because you're not talking about putting him in a cage; two rooms is fine. There are cats who live in only one room full time.

Even if you "convince" your cat to stay off the quilting frame, he will do as he pleases when you're not around. That's the nature of the cat. So keeping him away from the frame is your only solution. He'll find a comfortable spot to sleep in your two rooms; cats are quite good at finding comfort for themselves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks guys, I think "happily retired" is right, I just got to keep him in my rooms.

while the bed is cute, I think if anything it would just tell him it's o.k. to sleep on the quilting frame (like going from the "little bed" to the "big bed") but thank you for finding it for me