Problems after returning from the vet

mkatjp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our blind cat had adopted two kittens. They are adult now and yesterday, they were at the vets for spaying/neutering.
After they returned, the blind cat doesn't recognize them anymore and is now constantly hissing.
I don't know if it is the smell of the vets or the smell of the cats has changed.
Unfortunately, it is said that I cannot wash them for a week.
Any recommendation?
Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like non-recognition aggression because the kittens do smell differently after the vet visit. Take a towel or blanket with your blind cat's scent on it and rub it on the kittens - transferring a familiar smell to them. If that doesn't work, let a day go by to see if they get back to normal and if not, try the 'vanilla trick' as described here: Ode to vanilla extract. Make sure you have a blanket or towel available for the next vet visit.

Also, just in case you are interested: How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – Cat Articles

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a blanket they love you could gentle rub that (except on the belly) if they let you, but it will probably just take a little time. This happens with sighted cats as well, and usually isn't long lasting. Just make sure they aren't going to fight. (If they have the cones on, I very much doubt they would be so inclined but you never know I guess.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mkatjp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Yesterday Lisa (the blind cat) was still hissing when they were in the same room. Now the strange smells (from the vet) are slowly wearing off and yesterday evening, Lisa seemed to remember them. Today, it has drastically improved, as you can see below.
From top to down: Felix 14 years, Tom and Cherie 6 months, Lisa 18 months; Tom, Cherie and Lisa have the same mother.

allfour-20200113.jpg

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This can happen among any cats when one goes to the vet. I also have a blind cat and because they depend more on smell than sighted cats do I suspect it is even more of an issue.