Problem with prednisolone - ear infection

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I took my cat to the vet a few days ago only to find out she has both and inner and outter ear infection in both ears. The vet prescribed an oral liquid antibiotic for 5 days, as well as prednisolone for three weeks (starting at 1/2 pill twice a day and eventually weaning down to 1/2 every other day after two weeks). She has also been given drops, an ear cleaner and probiotics.

My question now is in regards to the steroid:
I think these do not technically treat the infection, just provide symptom relief for inflammation? The vet said they were to be “taken in case there is any inflammation that is bothering her.”

She has been fine with the oral antibiotics and drops, however, this vet experience was particularly traumatizing for her and she has been down since I took her in. This seemed to have worsened as soon as I started the prednisolone tablets (I started these a day after the antibiotics). She has been hiding/incredibly lethargic and distant after receiving the steroid, especially after the first few hours. Really not herself, and I am worried as her behaviour reminds me of how my other cat acted a few days before she suddenly passed from an undiagnosed cancer. I know it is not something like that, but it is clear to me that she is unwell taking the prednisolone.

I know that these pills can have some severe side effects, but I didn’t think she would react in this way. I have given them to other pets before and outside of increased water drinking/eating, it was unnoticeable.

I want to stop giving her the prednisolone, because I sense something is not right and that this is doing something to her. I also don’t think that we can bear to see her acting this way and feeling so ill for the next three weeks.

The vet says she is in good health, and that the infection is definitely bacterial. The drops and cleaner already seem to be helping immensely.

I guess my questions are: is this reaction to the drug normal?

And, if I do choose to stop giving it to her, since I have only given three 1/2 pills to her (1/2 in evening two days ago, and then 1/2 in morning and evening yesterday), can I just not give her the next dose?

Thanks for your help!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, steroids must be weaned off of to prevent adverse reactions, especially something called rebound effect where they can make adverse reactions come on even faster and harder when some medications are abruptly discontinued. My vet almost always gives a long lasting steroid injection with prescribed antibiotics. Your best bet would be to call the vet and ask his advise. Steroids usually make almost everyone feel well and feel more energenic quickly. To me, the antibiotics have a much greater chance of producing the reactions you are describing. She may be traumatized by the vet visit too, and just not feeling good right now. It takes at least three days to start seeing any improvement with antibiotics, the ear drops may be affecting her too, affecting her equilibrium and making her feel dizzy. I would defnitely call the prescribing vet and give him the symptoms and ask his advise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, steroids must be weaned off of to prevent adverse reactions, especially something called rebound effect where they can make adverse reactions come on even faster and harder when some medications are abruptly discontinued. My vet almost always gives a long lasting steroid injection with prescribed antibiotics. Your best bet would be to call the vet and ask his advise. Steroids usually make almost everyone feel well and feel more energenic quickly. To me, the antibiotics have a much greater chance of producing the reactions you are describing. She may be traumatized by the vet visit too, and just not feeling good right now. It takes at least three days to start seeing any improvement with antibiotics, the ear drops may be affecting her too, affecting her equilibrium and making her feel dizzy. I would defnitely call the prescribing vet and give him the symptoms and ask his advise.
Thanks for your response. I am just waiting for the vet to get into the office.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am fearful of using prednisone because of a bad experience. It made my Oliver diabetic. When I took him off of it, he reverted back but, I had to give him insulin shots for about a month before he reverted back to normal. I put him in insulin shock twice as he reverted (you can't see it outwardly). Thankfully I saved him with some maple syrup.

Some cats can have this happen.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Some cats do have a reaction to steroids. It's hard to say if it's the steroids if there are other meds being given. Since the pred was only taken 3 times-probably just skip a day 2 more times IF the weaning off is needed but agree with earlier post about asking the vet.

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats do have a reaction to steroids. It's hard to say if it's the steroids if there are other meds being given. Since the pred was only taken 3 times-probably just skip a day 2 more times IF the weaning off is needed but agree with earlier post about asking the vet.
Hi, thanks for your reply. The vet told me it would be okay to stop taking the pills all together, and within a day she was totally back to normal! Not sure what it was with the steroids.

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am fearful of using prednisone because of a bad experience. It made my Oliver diabetic. When I took him off of it, he reverted back but, I had to give him insulin shots for about a month before he reverted back to normal. I put him in insulin shock twice as he reverted (you can't see it outwardly). Thankfully I saved him with some maple syrup.

Some cats can have this happen.
Yes--s. It did really help our last cat initially control an allergic immune response, but I am always weary of steroids. The vet said it would be okay to stop the steroid, and she seemed to return to normal within 24 hours!