Problem Urinating!

midnightbride

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat (2 years old) was trying to urinate twice and nothing came out. He came back a few minutes later (for the third try) and was successful. It appeared to be a normal amount and he didn't seem in pain. I've seen him try to go every once in a while without success, and then come back again and everything seems fine.

Is this signs of a blockage beginning? I called the vet and they said to watch him to make sure he goes. They didn't say to bring him in just yet since he did "go" a normal amount so he is not blocked at the moment.

Is this a urinary problem, or can cats get "shy" about going with you near the litter box???

I just don't know if there's something wrong or not. He has been a little "quiet" the past couple of days.

cazlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by midnightbride

My cat (2 years old) was trying to urinate twice and nothing came out. He came back a few minutes later (for the third try) and was successful. It appeared to be a normal amount and he didn't seem in pain. I've seen him try to go every once in a while without success, and then come back again and everything seems fine.

Is this signs of a blockage beginning? I called the vet and they said to watch him to make sure he goes. They didn't say to bring him in just yet since he did "go" a normal amount so he is not blocked at the moment.

Is this a urinary problem, or can cats get "shy" about going with you near the litter box???

I just don't know if there's something wrong or not. He has been a little "quiet" the past couple of days.
From my experience, some cats are more "bladder shy" than others, in that they won't do their business if people are around or if they get startled. Others don't really care. If it's not normal for your cat to be bladder shy, then it's a symptom of a bigger problem. Cats generally will not let you know that they don't feel well until it's almost too late.

Whether or not he went a normal amount, take him in and insist on screening for a UTI. I've had bladder infections where it'll take a couple of tries to pee, but once I do, everything comes out. I'd assume it isn't much different for a kitty. My mother made this mistake (waiting to take him in) with one of her siameses, and it nearly cost him his life and cost us a hefty vet bill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

midnightbride

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm aware of that. I was going to bring him in this morning, but then he went, so I just called. They said to keep watching him and make sure he keeps going. I think he may need to be checked out anyway. Thanks.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would be a good idea to have a urinanalysis and culture done to rule out any cyrstals or infections. We have a boy that had urinating problems and turned out to be stress related. Changed his diet and it resolved itself. A vet visit is never wasted.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marsch21

A immediate vet visit is warranted. Trouble urinating can be a very serious situation.

Whenever I noticed any of my cats trying to urinate and not being successful or making frequent trips to the litterbox, it usually meant a UTI. Cats trying to go in other places besides the litterbox is another sign that something's usually wrong. I would take him in to get tested to be on the safe side...

~KK~