Probiotics

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a decent human grade probiotic anyone can recommend for my cat with IBD issues? She is very old, I am just treating her symptoms until it is time, it has been recommended that I add a probiotic but since she wont be around much longer I was hoping for something I could also take. I hope that doesn't sound bad. Money is tight and I take probiotics too so I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give my IBD cat Renew Life Ultimate Flora 50 billion CFU. You can use a lower CFU probiotic if you prefer.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Internal Medicine Vet recommended VSL#3 for my severe IBD kitty; one per day. It is tasteless, so just sprinkled it on his food. It is human grade, a probiotic medical food for the dietary management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Ulcerative Colitis.

It contains 112.5 billion bacteria per capsule. There are 60 capsules per bottle. It must be refrigerated. While not cheap, it did work. I got it a bit cheaper at my local pharmacy.

Lynx Rufus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use VSL #3 as well. Just mix it in with their food. The vet recommended it for Samba who has chronic pancreatitis and IBD, but I give it to my other girl, Kia, as well. I break open one tablet and mix the powder between both of their meals. It's pricy but seems to be working well for them. You can also look into kefir. I occasionally give them plain goat milk kefir which has tons of pro b's. If you can't find the goat stuff, the cow stuff should work as well. If your cat can handle it it may be worth looking into. I know cats are known to have lactose issues, but the bacterias in the kefir pretty much eat away at the lactose the same way they do in yogurt. I'm lactose intolerant myself and drink the stuff every day. Great health benefits. I would start her off with just a few drops and then gradually work her way up to about a tablespoon per day and see how she does. Good luck with whatever you end up going with. It's rough seeing them get old and sick, but we do what we can to give them the best quality life possible while they are here!