Probiotics? Prebiotics?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
Coal has had stinky poops since I got him a month ago, and the antibiotics that he's taking for his eyes are not helping the situation (he now also has diarrhea). Thinking probiotics might be a good idea, and I got some from a friend who uses them for her cats but he doesn't like the taste of the powder.
Any brands, especially ones available in Canada that you would recommend?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adored Beast is a Canadian brand, their Love Bugs may tick the box - this is both prebiotics and probiotics. Just make sure you give them several hours apart from the antibiotics.
But imo the best product for diarrhea caused by antibiotics is saccharomyces boulardi yeast probiotics- it’s not bacteria so ab won’t wipe it out and they can be given together. It’s very safe and acts pretty fast.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And when giving pre/probiotics for the first time, if they don't seem to like it, cut back on the dosage and slowly increase it to the desired amount. Sometimes you have to start with just a pinch so they get used to the taste if you have finicky cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adored Beast is a Canadian brand, their Love Bugs may tick the box - this is both prebiotics and probiotics. Just make sure you give them several hours apart from the antibiotics.
But imo the best product for diarrhea caused by antibiotics is saccharomyces boulardi yeast probiotics- it’s not bacteria so ab won’t wipe it out and they can be given together. It’s very safe and acts pretty fast.
Probiotics are so complicated! There's so many types!
You're the second person to suggest the adored beast brand to me. Must be good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And when giving pre/probiotics for the first time, if they don't seem to like it, cut back on the dosage and slowly increase it to the desired amount. Sometimes you have to start with just a pinch so they get used to the taste if you have finicky cats.
I didn't think of this. It's good advice