Probiotic formula for IBD cat that hates probiotics

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Renew Life Ultimate Flora changed one of the inactive ingredients in their probiotic formula and now my 12 year old, Vivi, refuses to eat any food I sprinkle it on. We tried an extra small amount of NOW Probiotic-10 Powder, which doesn't have any fillers at all, and she doesn't like it, either. I can't give her Nexabiotic because she's allergic to dairy.

I'm not sure if there are any other comprehensive probiotic formulas for IBD cats because those are the only three I can recall from my research. I guess I would prefer something designed for humans since they're better regulated and you only have to use a small amount. I know I'm grasping at straws here.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortiflora tends to be a big hit because of the brewers yeast, though it has a laxative effect on some cats. They also have treats and meal toppers with probiotic ingredients. Since your kitty has IBD, I’d suggest looking into Instinct Raw Boost for Digestive Health (less ingredients, but less probiotic variation) and Stella and Chewy’s digestive boost mixers (less “pure” ingredient wise, but has more probiotic variety). Gel may also be a good option for you — Bene-Bac is a popular one in the US iirc.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Renew Life Ultimate Flora changed one of the inactive ingredients in their probiotic formula and now my 12 year old, Vivi, refuses to eat any food I sprinkle it on. We tried an extra small amount of NOW Probiotic-10 Powder, which doesn't have any fillers at all, and she doesn't like it, either. I can't give her Nexabiotic because she's allergic to dairy.

I'm not sure if there are any other comprehensive probiotic formulas for IBD cats because those are the only three I can recall from my research. I guess I would prefer something designed for humans since they're better regulated and you only have to use a small amount. I know I'm grasping at straws here.
Just beware,fortiflora made my cat go diarrhea. She ate lid foods like koha,instinct rawz
She had ibd,pancreatitis liver inflammation. She lived to be 18

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fortiflora tends to be a big hit because of the brewers yeast, though it has a laxative effect on some cats. They also have treats and meal toppers with probiotic ingredients. Since your kitty has IBD, I’d suggest looking into Instinct Raw Boost for Digestive Health (less ingredients, but less probiotic variation) and Stella and Chewy’s digestive boost mixers (less “pure” ingredient wise, but has more probiotic variety). Gel may also be a good option for you — Bene-Bac is a popular one in the US iirc.
I should've mentioned that her IBD manifests as vomiting/regurgitation, anorexia, itching and not diarrhea so much (rarely). The vomiting is under control, there's still some itching, the occasional hairball, and her appetite is up and down. A hypoallergenic food (Hill's z/d) and the Renew Life probiotics have done wonders for her in the past, but now she's getting fussier with her food and isn't as perky as she once was. I wonder if she really dislikes the Renew Life formula change (MCTs for Leucine) or if it's down to not doing as well in general these days.

Anywho, she's allergic to all the common, and most novel, proteins and pretty much anything you can name in commercial ingestible cat products, so while these are good recs for a cat who doesn't have so much trouble, I'm afraid they're not as suitable for her. I appreciate your taking the time to respond, though!

Have you tried thoroughly mixing the probotic into canned food or something like canned tuna and add extra toppers if needed?

There are some probiotic brands suggested here: Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis

Really any Human probiotic will work. Just check the ingredients for one that doesn't contain dairy.
She nibbles at the canned food, it's the dry she eats the most of (Hill's z/d). I toss it together like a salad, most of the probiotic sticks to the food. I've been thinking of mixing it with a little water and syringing it, but she gets seriously angry when I do that. I may have to resort to having a permanently mad cat.

It's good to know we can use any of them.

Thanks for the article link! That was informative, to say the least. We've tried all the freeze-dried raw foods and she eventually developed an issue with all of them, but we've yet to try an authentically raw diet. It's something I've been looking into.

Just beware,fortiflora made my cat go diarrhea. She ate lid foods like koha,instinct rawz
She had ibd,pancreatitis liver inflammation. She lived to be 18
I should've mentioned that she's allergic to all the common proteins and most of the novel ones. At least I think so. She may have had issues with another ingredient in the freeze-dried food (Primal, mostly). She's got this weird propensity for developing an allergy to every protein she eats in wet food form, no matter how good the brand or high quality the food. It's the strangest thing. She was doing really well on Hill's prescription food, z/d, but not as good lately. We may have to try a homemade raw diet. It's all very overwhelming.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond! She decided to eat food mixed with the Renew Life today, so that's one small victory.

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the repeat!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the repeat!
Coincidence-z/d was the food she got bad diarrhea from. Hills prescription might be the food she needs if she's allergic to all protein. My Cat now is on c/d for struitive crystals. It works because her ph has gone way down. Crummy ingredients,low protein,high carb but it works. Only 116 calories in 5.5oz can so I am watching her weight

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Who knows if this is true but I read that feeding raw to a senior cat with medical conditions is not good. My cat peaches gets cooked ground meat with ez complete. No med conditions. She eats too fast,too much so spending time chewing food has helped

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about mixing the probiotic into a little bit of those lickable cat treat things?

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try mixing probiotic with cooked chicken breasts? Many cats love chicken breast and would eat it even when you place supplements or pills in it.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've read that many pro-biotics are not soil based, and that tends to be the problem with cats on them. Something about most being cultivated in dairy? That was in the description of a different kind of probiotic for cats I'd read. Don't know how true that is, but I do know the forti flora didn't do anything at all for my cat with IBD

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do know the forti flora didn't do anything at all for my cat with IBD

FortiFlora isn't a great probiotic to use. The CFU is too low and it only has one strain of bacteria and the bacteria isn't the main ingredient. FortiFlora is really only useful to get inappetent cats to eat IMO. The animal digest is irresistible. Take a read here for more info on probiotics particularly their use for IBD cats: Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
FortiFlora isn't a great probiotic to use. The CFU is too low and it only has one strain of bacteria and the bacteria isn't the main ingredient. FortiFlora is really only useful to get inappetent cats to eat IMO. The animal digest is irresistible. Take a read here for more info on probiotics particularly their use for IBD cats: Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis
A friend was just suggesting fortiflora for flavoring but it's expensive.

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coincidence-z/d was the food she got bad diarrhea from. Hills prescription might be the food she needs if she's allergic to all protein. My Cat now is on c/d for struitive crystals. It works because her ph has gone way down. Crummy ingredients,low protein,high carb but it works. Only 116 calories in 5.5oz can so I am watching her weight
Ugh, I know, it's pretty much junk food for cats. It's the only thing that's tolerable at the moment, unfortunately, and just barely. I didn't realize the canned was so low-cal. She used to be pretty chonky and has definitely lost weight on the z/d.

Who knows if this is true but I read that feeding raw to a senior cat with medical conditions is not good. My cat peaches gets cooked ground meat with ez complete. No med conditions. She eats too fast,too much so spending time chewing food has helped
I hadn't heard that about seniors and raw food. I imagine it's easier to get them to eat cooked, anyway. Are there any youtube videos or websites you like for info on feeding cats a cooked homemade diet?

How about mixing the probiotic into a little bit of those lickable cat treat things?
I wish she were that easy! She's allergic to so many things and can't have any common protein sources at all, even organ meat. I've been trying some freeze-dried exotic meat (kangaroo, boar, ostrich, etc.) on her and it's working well so far.

Try mixing probiotic with cooked chicken breasts? Many cats love chicken breast and would eat it even when you place supplements or pills in it.
She's allergic to just about any meat you can name :-\ We're having some luck using treats made from very novel protein sources. I'm positive she would love to get her paws on some chicken breast, though.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I know, it's pretty much junk food for cats. It's the only thing that's tolerable at the moment, unfortunately, and just barely. I didn't realize the canned was so low-cal. She used to be pretty chonky and has definitely lost weight on the z/d.

I hadn't heard that about seniors and raw food. I imagine it's easier to get them to eat cooked, anyway. Are there any youtube videos or websites you like for info on feeding cats a cooked homemade diet?

I wish she were that easy! She's allergic to so many things and can't have any common protein sources at all, even organ meat. I've been trying some freeze-dried exotic meat (kangaroo, boar, ostrich, etc.) on her and it's working well so far.

She's allergic to just about any meat you can name :-\ We're having some luck using treats made from very novel protein sources. I'm positive she would love to get her paws on some chicken breast, though.
I use ez complete by food for life. Lately it has been hard to get but at least
You can get a better explanation about feeding cooked ground meat. I also forget to put food back in the fridge. Another reason I don't cook raw