Probiotic allergy?

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Odd question and maybe I'm grasping for straws but has anyone ever heard of a cat being allergic to a probiotic? Last Saturday I started Haze on probiotic, Proviable DC capsules once a day for diarrhea. He has tummy issues so the vet said let's try this to see if it helps. He seems allergic to a lot of things. He is on z/d for food allergies and also now skin allergies. He started itching and shaking his ears on Tuesday, after 3 days of probiotics. This is the first time in 6 months that he has shown any signs of a relapse in allergies.
He never gets any side foods to trigger food allergies and I have not introduced any new things into the environment to be a catalyst. The only thing I can think of is the probiotic.
Everything that I read online about probiotics is positive. Of course,
Now that he is on an antibiotic ear for infection, he is having diarrhea. I did see some sort of improvement in his stools with the probiotic in the first couple of days but now that is gone...probably until the meds are done.

Anyone have any insight/guidance? Are there inactive ingredients in probiotics that could be triggering an allergy?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guess would be one of the inactive ingredients.  I don't know what is in this product, I looked it up and they use non-specific terms rather than saying what's in it.  Terms like all the bacteria is a fermentation product.  I doubt, since it is specific to animals, that it contains dairy but you never know.  Soy is often used in probiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My curiosity was peaked so I contacted Nutramax Labs, the maker for Proviable to ask what the inactive ingredient are. There are no inactive ingredients however the gelatin capsule is made from bovine, which if swallowed by your cat that has certain protein allergies, could be problematic. Luckily, I open the pill and sprinkle the contents on the wet food.

So just be sure not to give to your cat whole if their is an allergy to certain proteins.