Primal Raw Phosphorous - Am I Reading The Website Values Correctly

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have a young kitty who has a high SDMA value so I want to be proactive and want to feed very low phosphorous foods. I'm also thinking of going fully/partially raw.
First on my list was Rad Cat but now rethinking it because of the recall.
I was looking at Primal as another option and their website has phosphorous values that are extremely low.
Pheasant- .31%
Pork- .29%
Duck - .42%

I still get confused reading dry matter vs. as fed and it didn't which one the values were for.

Are these foods really that low in phosphorous?

Thanks much

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I’m also feeding low phosphorus, high protein foods to my girl. I feed Rad Cat. It’s a high quality food and I wouldn’t be deterred by the recall. A lot of these recalls happening lately with raw foods are in my opinion not that harmful. Raw food is typically going to have some level of pathogens in it. The reason why we feed it to cats is because they can handle the bacteria in the food. So a small amount of pathogens is not harmful. However, the FDA has a zero tolerance policy on bacteria in pet food. So any raw food that’s found with any level of pathogens in it has to be recalled, even if that level is not technically harmful to cats. Now, we don’t know what level of pathogens was found in the rad cat samples, but given that one of the samples was from a batch that was sold a year ago and no kitties got sick, I think we can assume that the cats could handle it. Just my 2 cents.

I’ve also looked into primal and emailed them. They said that the values on their website are all “as-fed”. So they need to be converted to a dry matter basis. I use an online dmb converter to calculate the values. For the frozen foods, the only one that is somewhat low in phosphorus is the turkey. It is around 1.05% on a dry matter basis. This may work for you depending on how low you need to go. A lot of people try to stay below 0.8, but for some around 1.0 or less is good.

Here’s the link to the dmb converter:Dry Matter Basis Online Calculator | Feline Nutrition Awareness Effort

If you’re also feeding canned foods, many of Weruva flavours are high protein low phosphorus, and they list all dmb values on their website.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for that link!
And I'll take that into account regarding the FDA requirements. You would think that they would take into account that cats can handle a certain level of pathogens. It would make our lives (as well as the manufacturers) much easier. The whole system needs revamping.
Yes, I'm already on Weruva but wanted to mix in raw to avoid all those unnecessary and sometimes harmful ingredients (Weruva has so many gums.) I was also looking to Instinct LID. The have low Phosphorous according to Tanya's website, thought when looking at Lisa Pierson's chart they are pretty high in carbs.

I have my first tub of Rad Cat defrosting in the fridge right now so I'll continue with my plan to start to transition my girls to raw.

Thanks,

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for that link!
And I'll take that into account regarding the FDA requirements. You would think that they would take into account that cats can handle a certain level of pathogens. It would make our lives (as well as the manufacturers) much easier. The whole system needs revamping.
Yes, I'm already on Weruva but wanted to mix in raw to avoid all those unnecessary and sometimes harmful ingredients (Weruva has so many gums.) I was also looking to Instinct LID. The have low Phosphorous according to Tanya's website, thought when looking at Lisa Pierson's chart they are pretty high in carbs.

I have my first tub of Rad Cat defrosting in the fridge right now so I'll continue with my plan to start to transition my girls to raw.

Thanks,
We are pretty much in the same boat right now with trying to find good quality low phosphorus foods. I’m doing the same thing - feeding Weruva but feeling a bit bad about all the gums. So I also give Radcat and I might add some primal in soon.

The values on Tanya’s website for Instinct are not correct because Instinct recently changed their formulas. I emailed them last week and they sent me their values. I posted them in this thread: Phosphorus In Instinct Canned Food?

Some of their Pride variety flavours have lower phosphorus, such as the minced and flaked rabbit. The values for Pride are on the NV website but they are also as fed.

If you’re okay with values around 1.00% Ziwipeak canned venison and lamb flavours are around there (values are also on their website).

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something happened to our last 2 messages.. for some reason they are gone.

But yes, please update me if you find any new foods! And I will do the same.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if you have Boreal in your area but many of their can foods are around .90% phosphorus.