Primal— How Many Nuggets A Day

agaminae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m currently feeding 4 cats freeze dried Primal every day. We give them each 4 or 5 nuggets a day, and the feeding calculator says I should be giving 5 a day for their weight (3 of them are about 12 lbs and one is a kitten). I know that sometimes back of the bag and feeding calculator instructions can be inaccurate, and that cats eat less when it’s raw food. Should I give them more? Less? Less would be great if they do okay with less since freeze dried Primal is EXPENSIVE.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm handling my guy's diet differently as he gets 3 nuggets primal with a couple small cans of wet food daily and kibble (he's a big boy, and not a bit of fat) however I wanted to mention that if your furry buddies don't seem like they're still hungry, and they aren't losing weight ie you can't feel the backbone you are probably feeding the right amount for them. I would watch their weight over time and just make sure they don't end up underweight. Thank you for caring!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

agaminae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm handling my guy's diet differently as he gets 3 nuggets primal with a couple small cans of wet food daily and kibble (he's a big boy, and not a bit of fat) however I wanted to mention that if your furry buddies don't seem like they're still hungry, and they aren't losing weight ie you can't feel the backbone you are probably feeding the right amount for them. I would watch their weight over time and just make sure they don't end up underweight. Thank you for caring!
They always act hungry even on the days they get 5 nuggets but that's just because they're little piggies :lol: I haven't noticed weight loss in any of them so I'll stick with 4 and maybe try 3 a day at some point and see how they do. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds good. If you have a bathroom scale you might consider tracking their weight. Three nuggets for a 12 pound cat sounds somewhat minimal, but as you know, every cat is different ;)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the kitten eating the same amount as the adults? Kittens should be eating twice as much, if not more.

agaminae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the kitten eating the same amount as the adults? Kittens should be eating twice as much, if not more.
Yes, we've been giving her 4 or 5 nuggets a day. The feeding calculator actually only says 2 a day but I know kittens need more so we give her the same as the adults.

agaminae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should also add that the kitten is about 12 weeks and 3 pounds currently. Should we supplement her with an extra meal of canned food too?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should also add that the kitten is about 12 weeks and 3 pounds currently. Should we supplement her with an extra meal of canned food too?
For kittens that young I would just offer them as much food as they will eat multiple times a day. You can’t really overfeed at that point. I don’t think it would hurt to offer some canned food and see if she will eat it.