Primal Frozen Raw Medallions ...

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
... first impressions were not very good. Got a bag of the Turkey to try and got it home only to find that it was bad. 2020 expiration date (I think) so not expired but definitely looked freezer burnt. Brown on the outside, still pinkish on the inside. Didn't smell terrible but had an odor that was "off" on top of the raw meat smell. It's my first time buying this brand so I called Primal to make sure. They directed me to take it back. The store clerk confirmed it. She felt that it was definitely bad.

On the bright side, Primal's customer service was very good. They didn't offer me any freebies but the rep. was friendly and apologetic. Obviously, this could have happened anywhere along the delivery chain so I'm not going to hold it against Primal and write them off just yet.

That said, I would like to know if any of y'all who feed Primal frozen have had any similar issues. I'm hoping this isn't typical because I'd like to try the food.

Thanks

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The brown on the outside is due to oxidation when the meat gets exposed to air. I make my own raw and store it in Mason jars. The outside parts get light brown and inside is the typical red/pink color.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The brown on the outside is due to oxidation when the meat gets exposed to air. I make my own raw and store it in Mason jars. The outside parts get light brown and inside is the typical red/pink color.
Understood, I've seen hamburger do it. But this was different. The outside was brown but you could see that most of the surface had that dried out look. Definitely looked freezer burnt. Unfortunately, it appears that it was definitely an off bag. It was the last bag of Turkey and the bag was puffier than the other flavors in the freezer. I should have had an inkling before buying.

They're getting some more in end of the week, and I'll try it again.

ps. My title is wrong. It should be Primal Nuggets, not Medallions.

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had several bad batches (different best buy / expiration dates) of Primal freeze dried raw turkey when I was feeding it a little over a year ago to one of my cats so I stopped buying it.

Primal's customer service is excellent but I got tired of having to return / exchange their products at my local indy store and the owner wasn't too happy about it anyway.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had several bad batches (different best buy / expiration dates) of Primal freeze dried raw turkey when I was feeding it a little over a year ago to one of my cats so I stopped buying it.

Primal's customer service is excellent but I got tired of having to return / exchange their products at my local indy store and the owner wasn't too happy about it anyway.
That's a shame. The frozen raw in the 3lb bags is almost affordable and they sell a lot of the Turkey. Guess I'll have to think hard about whether I want to chance it again when it comes back in stock.

Thanks

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
... first impressions were not very good. Got a bag of the Turkey to try and got it home only to find that it was bad. 2020 expiration date (I think) so not expired but definitely looked freezer burnt. Brown on the outside, still pinkish on the inside. Didn't smell terrible but had an odor that was "off" on top of the raw meat smell. It's my first time buying this brand so I called Primal to make sure. They directed me to take it back. The store clerk confirmed it. She felt that it was definitely bad.

On the bright side, Primal's customer service was very good. They didn't offer me any freebies but the rep. was friendly and apologetic. Obviously, this could have happened anywhere along the delivery chain so I'm not going to hold it against Primal and write them off just yet.

That said, I would like to know if any of y'all who feed Primal frozen have had any similar issues. I'm hoping this isn't typical because I'd like to try the food.

Thanks
I buy primal all the time. It depends on what store I get it from. My normal store always had good bags. Then I tried to order it from the store I get my canned food and their bags were always off. Smelled odd and I didn’t want to feed it. But when I get them from the store I originally started buying the frozen raw they are ALWAYS good. Makes me think that something is happening while it’s being shipped or handled at the store.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... It depends on what store I get it from. ... Makes me think that something is happening while it’s being shipped or handled at the store.
^ This.

I've had this problem with another brand of commercial frozen raw... they had to special order it for me as they don't normally carry it. And I do think it is caused from either snafus during the shipment, or freezer/storage issues at the store where it was sold.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
^ This.

I've had this problem with another brand of commercial frozen raw... they had to special order it for me as they don't normally carry it. And I do think it is caused from either snafus during the shipment, or freezer/storage issues at the store where it was sold.
It was bad. So I don’t have the raw special ordered anymore. I just make the long drive to the other store that handles it well. Which I’ve never gotten a bad bag.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did end up trying the Primal again last week. Got a good bag but bought a smaller bag of the morsels instead of the 3lb bag of the cubes. They aren't going over to well with him but I'll keep re-introducing here and there and see if he warms up to them at all.