Primal freeze dried raw venison - new

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those who feed Primal FD, I just saw FD venison at my indy store.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's odd....they dont' have it on their website.  I found, and purchased, their PORK, a month or so ago, hoping it would be a hit, but it ended up being a failure. 

I know Stella and Chewys has a freeze dried Venison (for dogs), which I have tried for my furries.  They didn't like that one either.  it's extremely hard and drier than most freeze dried foods, if you can believe that.  It's like a brick!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's odd....they dont' have it on their website.  I found, and purchased, their PORK, a month or so ago, hoping it would be a hit, but it ended up being a failure. 

I know Stella and Chewys has a freeze dried Venison (for dogs), which I have tried for my furries.  They didn't like that one either.  it's extremely hard and drier than most freeze dried foods, if you can believe that.  It's like a brick!
Sometimes web sites are updated later I guess. I just noticed my store has the Primal FD vension for dogs as well.
I won't be using it as I have noticed my little guy is scratching much less since I've minimized veggies and fruits in his diet but maybe others are interested.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ours didn't especially like the pork at first but then got used and now eat it with reckless abandon, mixed in with Primal chicken and turkey. (We rarely feed them one at a time, unless we've run out of everything else...)

And hmm, thanks for mentioning the venison, @LisaMarie12. I'm not sure how I feel about venison: does it have the same downsides as beef? (I remember you mentioning inflammation and, I think, histamines...) We do feed some beef, in canned foods with chicken, but hmm.

That said, it's good to know there are more options available!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And hmm, thanks for mentioning the venison, @LisaMarie12. I'm not sure how I feel about venison: does it have the same downsides as beef? (I remember you mentioning inflammation and, I think, histamines...) We do feed some beef, in canned foods with chicken, but hmm.
You know, I'm kind of into this pet food energetics thing (and venison is a "hot" protein - not good for cats that have problem / itchy skin) although I did give Rad Cat venison a try, or rather Mikey did, he liked it although he enjoys the turkey more.

I've read positive things though about venison for cats, even though it's not part of their natural diet. I may use Rad Cat venison again though, occasionally - he does need variety in his diet and I worry he gets too much turkey, other than canned rabbit and occasionally beef.

Again, I really like Primal but I think for Mikey's very sensitive skin, less = more (ingredients as far as veggies / fruits).  This poor cat actually had to wear a bib for at least three years to protect his neck which he just kept gouging at. I could tell you horror stories .... steroids, antibiotics .... The vet wanted to remove 7 layers of his neck - imagine. :(

Amazingly, all the fur has grown back except one tiny area.

Anyway, yes, re beef I read that it is higher in histamines which is why it can cause allergies in some cats but who knows.

I'm do rotate Weruva's Steak Frites with Molly and she's fine with it although I started draining the liquid though - my goodness, all that liquid looked like potato soup!!! I pick out the yams and carrots and leave the pumpkin.

Since I've been back home the last 24 hours though I've managed to get Molly to eat some Rad Cat - I'm thrilled! She's always refused it. I'm determined to put a little on her plate at least for one meal a day every day.  So far with a few treats on top, she has eaten it.

So regarding venison - no, I wouldn't put it in the same category as beef - many cats do very well on venison.

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed a lot of venison and beef, basically some every day. None of my cats have had any issue with it, they love both. Even my IBD cat does well with both venison and beef. I don't feed Primal really though, too many veggies and my cats aren't big fans. Right now it's Ziwipeak, RC, or HT meats.

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I feed a lot of venison and beef, basically some every day. None of my cats have had any issue with it, they love both. Even my IBD cat does well with both venison and beef. I don't feed Primal really though, too many veggies and my cats aren't big fans. Right now it's Ziwipeak, RC, or HT meats.
Yeah, I may give venison another try - but RC.