Prevent Cats from Jumping Over Baby Gate

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello~

I own two cats and ended up bringing home two more due to circumstances. I have a baby gate setup on my second floor landing so the cats can't venture downstairs and run through the front door to never come back. My cats have never attempted to jump over the gate and too big to squeeze through the railings. The two new cats however jumped right over it starting day one. Right now it's not that big a deal because of the quarantine and rarely ever open the front door but my original two cats are seeing the other cats escape and have attempted the same couple times now. Also, I'm going to go back to working and living after the pandemic ends, and I don't want them to think this is an acceptable behavior. I tried using the sound of a vacuum to scare them whenever they jump and even placed the vacuum facing the gate but no progress there. I put down double sided tape on the top of the gate and it doesn't even faze them. I know they jumped over it while I wasn't looking by seeing the new collection of fur on the tape.

My kitchen, also, has a baby gate because my cats had the tendency to walk around the counter when I'm cooking and even almost hurt themselves on the hot stove. Once the baby gate went up, I finally had peace cooking and doing the dishes. Then... the new cats showed them they can jump right over it as well. I found my girl cat inside today and I saw red that my efforts for the last year is going to moot. I have to admit the new cats are better behaved than my cats who chews and knocks over everything. I just need them to stay within the safe boundaries and feel we can all be happy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have to give you credit for having had success with a baby gate with your two original cats. I have never had a baby gate work for cats; sometimes not even for a dog who can clear it.

Someplace along the line in some Dr. Elsey's literature he recommended an orange spray to make cats avoid areas that you want to be off limits. My cats absolutely hate the smell of orange, even by accident if it is on my hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to give you credit for having had success with a baby gate with your two original cats. I have never had a baby gate work for cats; sometimes not even for a dog who can clear it.

Someplace along the line in some Dr. Elsey's literature he recommended an orange spray to make cats avoid areas that you want to be off limits. My cats absolutely hate the smell of orange, even by accident if it is on my hands.
I actually had a lot of people ask me if the gate actually keeps the cats in, and I used to tell them my cats are too big to jump that high. I was totally wrong...

I did wipe on some orange scent on top of the double stick tape and that was a fail as well. I didn't want to wipe it on the railing since my cats like to look out the glass door that's located 2 feet away but I might try that to see if it keeps the cats at bay.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can suggest is to stack a second gate above the first one. Now while that is a pain in the butt depending on the type of gate. I currently use this gate.
Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood - Xtra Tall - Walmart.com
1585603045279.png

It mounts to any wall, and as you can see, on the right of the picture it has a very simple latch that makes it's easy to open. So if you have to put two up, it won't be too bad to open. It swings open and closed in both directions.
The only issue I had with this one is that one of my cats was very small and could squeeze thru the slots, so I did have to get some extra wood spindles and I screwed them in between.

I would also suggest, if you are trying to keep them upstairs, to put the gate at the very top of your stairs and not on a landing. For some reason, I find (even with just one gate) my cats don't jump over the gate if the other side is stairs going down, but they will if the floor on the other side is the same level. (I hope I'm explaining myself...)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Double stack two baby gates, or a DIY project like this (see pic) below. Use shelving from a home improvement store (lengths up to 12 feet or more if needed), set them on their side, hook them together with zip ties to make a foldable door, for easy opening/closing. They can even be secured on each side with something as simple as hooks for security that can be opened/shut easily. The hooks can be removed and repaired with a bit of spackling and paint when appropriate.

Attachments

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can suggest is to stack a second gate above the first one. Now while that is a pain in the butt depending on the type of gate. I currently use this gate.
Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood - Xtra Tall - Walmart.com
View attachment 328380
It mounts to any wall, and as you can see, on the right of the picture it has a very simple latch that makes it's easy to open. So if you have to put two up, it won't be too bad to open. It swings open and closed in both directions.
The only issue I had with this one is that one of my cats was very small and could squeeze thru the slots, so I did have to get some extra wood spindles and I screwed them in between.

I would also suggest, if you are trying to keep them upstairs, to put the gate at the very top of your stairs and not on a landing. For some reason, I find (even with just one gate) my cats don't jump over the gate if the other side is stairs going down, but they will if the floor on the other side is the same level. (I hope I'm explaining myself...)
This is the gate I'm using at the moment and it is a real big pain whenever I need to remove it to move big items up and down. It is well built though and has taken a lot of abuse from the cats clawing and biting. It is a bit heavy to stack but I might try it out since I have another on its way.

Amazon.com : Regalo Easy Step Extra Tall Walk Thru Baby Gate, Bonus Kit, Includes 4-Inch Extension Kit, 4 Pack of Pressure Mount Kit and 4 Pack of Wall Cups and Mounting Kit, Black : Indoor Safety Gates : Baby

The gate is located on the second floor and probably one of the reason why they were too scared to jump over. These new cats have nerves of steel or something because nothing fazes them.

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Double stack two baby gates, or a DIY project like this (see pic) below. Use shelving from a home improvement store (lengths up to 12 feet or more if needed), set them on their side, hook them together with zip ties to make a foldable door, for easy opening/closing. They can even be secured on each side with something as simple as hooks for security that can be opened/shut easily. The hooks can be removed and repaired with a bit of spackling and paint when appropriate.
Oh! This is interesting. I might try this if all fails. My house doesn't get a lot of natural light and would prefer not to block off the stairs completely but if these cats are determined.. so am I lol

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather than trying to confine them, maybe it would be easier, and make the cats happier, to put baby gates around the front door so there is some barrier to prevent them from darting out.

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rather than trying to confine them, maybe it would be easier, and make the cats happier, to put baby gates around the front door so there is some barrier to prevent them from darting out.
I thought about doing that as extra security but my front door opens into the house so the door won't open if the gate is installed inside. They have free rein of 2nd and 3rd floor so they should be okay space wise.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about doing that as extra security but my front door opens into the house so the door won't open if the gate is installed inside. They have free rein of 2nd and 3rd floor so they should be okay space wise.
It’s just that when cats know there is another space, especially where their humans hang out, that is where they really want to be.

As far as the gates can get a baby gate that comes in multiple positionable sections so it can be positioned to form a three sided box of whatever depth you need around the door.

Last edited:

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s just that when cats know there is another space, especially where their humans hang out, that is where they really want to be.

As far as the gates can get a baby gate that comes in multiple positionable sections so it can be positioned to form a three sided box of whatever depth you need around the door.
I think they want to be downstairs because it hasn't been taken over scent wise by other cats. The first floor is mostly a utility floor with the garage, laundry room, etc but my office is down here so I see them when they come strolling. They make eye contact and depending on how fast I'm moving they either run back up or rub against my legs.

I looked at the layout of my front door and the stairs that's located right in front of it and don't think another baby gate will work in that area. Also, knowing these rascals they'll be waiting for me inside the box the moment they hear the lock click.

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you ever thought of installing an accordion door? Something like this would still let light in.
View attachment 328388View attachment 328389
View attachment 328390
Oh nice, I didn't even know these existed. I'm currently waiting on a couple stuff I picked up from Amazon to try out and hopefully one of them will work before I have to start going to the office again. I really like this frosted clear door idea and looking on home depot it isn't too expensive either which is a plus.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
if You are looking to block this doorway long term then putting a door is probably the best solution. If it’s temporary I would put up a zip wall - it’s plastic so they could theoretically tear through it but they are fairly heavy duty.

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if You are looking to block this doorway long term then putting a door is probably the best solution. If it’s temporary I would put up a zip wall - it’s plastic so they could theoretically tear through it but they are fairly heavy duty.
I'm definitely intrigued by the zip wall. I looked on Amazon and it seems there are couple different styles. I don't have a top and side frame but maybe I can nail the flaps onto the wall. I'm taking care of the new cats for a year or so until the owner moves into another house so this would be a good temporary fix.

I'm really hoping one of the fixes I bought is going to be the solution because I've spent a pretty penny just to keep them from escaping into the unknown. I've had my share of being on hands and knees because one of my cats would dash out and get into the thorny bushes, under my neighbor's car, under my car and have to shake my purse chain to get him out. Thank goodness he didn't go far. I definitely don't want to experience that with someone else's cat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Strong tape, like duct tape would probably hold it to the wall well enough, and a little touch up paint when you remove it is a lot easier than repairing all those nail holes.