Pretty sure my cat is pregnant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LondonLady28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update she’s definitely contracting and crying out in pain with each one I’m gonna move her up to her nesting box

LondonLady28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a question I have a kitten who yesterday I saw it eat but had to help a few times just to get latched however today I haven’t personally witnessed it eat (trying not to annoy too much) and there’s no excessive crying but it looked like it was rooting so I tried to help it onto a nipple just now and it was pulling away it’s tummy doesn’t seem as round as the others so I believe it may be the runt, I thought I had the right scales to weigh them but I need to get another one so my question is when do I top up with kitten formula?

LondonLady28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edit to that I just saw a picture I took of it feeding just before 8am and if I remember correctly it stayed on nipple for a long while and fell asleep on it but since then I haven’t seen it feeding and I mean when i have popped in they are all very content cuddling with mum but just want to act before anything can happen

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like the kitten is fending for itself fairly well, but you’ll know for sure when you can weigh daily in grams with the right scale. Let us know!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weighing is really the only way to know if a kitten is thriving. Get a syringe barrel (needless syringe) and put a drop at a time in the side of its mouth, tummy side down while eating. It wouldn’t hurt to supplement it is not doing well. You could help it to latch on when the others are sleeping, it will get what it wants that way.

LondonLady28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone so this morning about 3:45am I was woken to a kitten crying and found that mum had moved him to just outside the nest so I moved him back and then half an hour later she was laying with him just next to the nest again she hasn’t moved it since but obviously I got concerned she was rejecting it and it’s the kitten that I said I was worried he was the runt I weighed this afternoon at 12pm and weights are as follows

kitten 1: 141 grams
Kitten 2: 133 grams (this is one I was concerned about)
Kitten 3: 155 grams
Kitten 4: 130 grams

I will continue to weigh everyday and we are on day 3 today do these seem like good weights for them? I’m feeding her plenty of wet food and she has dry biscuits all day but again babies are very content

LondonLady28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I have been trying to latch it on but it pushes away from the nipple when I try and guide it’s head to it I did however not settle this morning until I had seen it feed and it latched by itself and I watched it feed for a good 15 minutes before I was happy to leave them be

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Itts good weights.

Theoretically you can supplement if you suspect someone has difficulties.

Thing is handfeeding does have some risks, so you must choose scylla or charybdis?

LondonLady28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve just taken weights again at same time as yesterday and we’ve had great gains

kitten 1 gained: 28 grams
Kitten 2 gained: 13 grams
Kitten 3 gained:20 grams
Kitten 4 gained: 23 grams

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait until they are at least a week old, maybe two. Really hard to do when so young. (although first one looks like a boy!)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Weights and weight gains are excellent! Agree that sexing them can wait.