Pretty Litter Smelling like Eggs

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I received some free bags of Pretty Litter from someone who didn't need them anymore. Well, one of my 3 litter boxes is set up with Pretty Litter as of 9 hours ago. I just came back home and noticed a weird egg smell, and it is coming from the litter box... I cleaned up the 1 poop and stirred the 1 pee spot (no weird colors), and it is definitely the litter that smells...

Is this normal???

I've been using Tidy Cats Unscented Free and Clean (2 other boxes still using this) and don't normally smell anything unless one of the cats hasn't covered their poop yet and have never smelled an egg smell before.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about Pretty Litter, but I'd recommend contacting them to ask them your questions about the sulfur or egg smell.
How Can We Help? Contact Us - PrettyLitter

The only thing that comes to my mind is rotten egg smell = hydrogen sulfide gas = possible uptick of sulfur bacteria = maybe possibly connected to the ingredients in the Pretty Litter interacting with your kitty's poo or pee??

:dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about Pretty Litter, but I'd recommend contacting them to ask them your questions about the sulfur or egg smell.
How Can We Help? Contact Us - PrettyLitter

The only thing that comes to my mind is rotten egg smell = hydrogen sulfide gas = possible uptick of sulfur bacteria = maybe possibly connected to the ingredients in the Pretty Litter interacting with your kitty's poo or pee??

:dunno:
Thank you, I sent them a message asking about it!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Assuming the person that gave you the litter had used some of it, did you ask them if they smelled anything when they used it. I am guessing they had used it previously as well, and could tell you if this bag smelled differently from previous ones.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Assuming the person that gave you the litter had used some of it, did you ask them if they smelled anything when they used it. I am guessing they had used it previously as well, and could tell you if this bag smelled differently from previous ones.
Thank you, but unfortunately I do not have the contact of the person. The litter was given by someone who has rentals and a tenant moved out and continued to get the Pretty Litter mailed to the apartment, but never came to pick it up. Since the person knew I have cats, the litter was given to me, which was still in the unopened, cardboard mailing boxes.

I tried checking reviews, but nothing is coming up. It did not have a scent when the bag was opened, only after coming home that evening. The smell was less strong this morning when I stirred and scooped, and did not notice anything after returning from errands today, although the air has a smoky smell outside my house which came inside when I came in through the door, so it may have masked the scent.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just received feedback, and they just said to stir it more (3-4x per day) and it could be a ventilation issue ( my litter boxes are not covered)... Not very impressed with the litter so far, haha. Especially because my other 2 litter boxes with tidy cats are being used more frequently by the cats, so I imagine only using the Pretty Litter the smell would be more potent and frequent.

Guess I need to decide if using the litter is worth it despite the occasional icky smell as I received multiple bags free... hmmm. Or save them for emergencies, like if I need more litter before there is a good sale? Decisions, decisions. Thanks for everyone's feedback and suggestions!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Or, just s-t-r-e-t-c-h out your current litter on hand, but adding a bit of this Pretty Litter to the Tidy Cats. Should reduce the smell, and you still get to use it.