President Donald Trump & Racism

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by xlpooper, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Except he did. He said "why do we want all these PEOPLE from [filthy] countries coming here?"

I'm not sure what counts as "merit-based immigration" or how it differs from current policy. I'll have to read up on that. I don't think only rich professionals should be allowed to immigrate, that wouldn't be fair at all.

CNN did the dirty work of finding out what the right-wing sites said. They also report that David Duke and Richard Spencer have praised him on Twitter. But I have gone onto them occasionally, after someone assured me that they don't profit much from clicks. After being overly surprised when Trump won, I'm not letting them sneak up on me again.

2. Boris Diamond

Boris Diamond Cat Valet Top Cat

Mar 27, 2015
  3. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Merit based immigration isn't about only the wealthy being able to immigrate. Why would wealthy people immigrate to another country, they have it fine where they are at. It is about people who have skills that are needed in this country. That is why many people who looked into moving to Canada after the election found that they couldn't, they didn't qualify. They didn't have the skills that are needed in Canada. European countries are the same way. They have provisions for refugees and asylum seekers but outside of those groups only people with skills needed in that country are allowed to immigrate to those countries.

Yes Donald Trump in his usual way stepped all over everything with a racist comment and now anything to do with an intelligent discussion about immigration policy will be labeled racist. I watch Tucker Carlson. I know many people reject him out of hand but he does have intelligent debates with people from the left. He said something that I feel sums it up. Anytime someone asks questions about immigration policy many politicians just yell at them. They have the narrative about the people who are valedictorians and war heroes and quit asking questions. Obviously not everyone falls into the groups that we are told about. Our immigration policy is a mess and has been for quite sometime. It will only get worse as our labor needs continue to change. The name calling and demagoguing the issue needs to stop.

jamescalifornia purraised this.
  4. Katie M

Katie M TCS Member Adult Cat

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    It's worth reading up on the Haitian Revolution. Not only is it a fascinating story in its own right, but it turns out America as we know it wouldn't exist if it hadn't happened. We owe a great deal to Haiti.

5. mani

mani fervent feline fan Staff Member Moderator

Feb 28, 2012
    Australia
    This thread is

[​IMG]

The topic is
    President Donald Trump & Racism

Posts that were off topic have been deleted.

6. Katie M

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    My ancestors fled Ireland because of the potato famine. They weren't exactly welcomed here. I would wager that many of us are descended from "s--thole" countries.

7. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    Many "s--thole"countries fight back and change. I would bet the US before it was the US was one of these too, that is why we fought for our freedom. We didn't move to another country and let them give us handouts and change our beliefs, we, the people, rose up and made our country into what is is. Somewhere that allows you to state your opinions no matter how different. AND the people who came here, came here legally, they wanted to contribute to our nation and become one of us, they did NOT sneak in illegally and then demand and take away rights from those who earned it legally. There is no comparison at all......

8. Katie M

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    When my ancestors came, the Know Nothings were popular. They were extremely anti-Catholic, and thus anti-Irish. It was a profoundly un-American attitude. The Know Nothings are back, I see. The specifics may have changed, but they're just as un-American as ever.

9. bodester413

bodester413 TCS Member Adult Cat

Jan 26, 2016
    Midwest USA
    As far as Trump being racist I suspect that he's whatever he thinks will benefit him at any given time. He's amoral. If he's dealing with an African American that wants to join one of his clubs he's not racist. He's benefiting (making money from an extra member). If he's dealing with a group of people who are known to hold racist views he does his best to make comments that make it appear that he is racist. He wants their support/votes. My personal opinion is that deep down he is racist. He's learned over time that he can switch sides at will and most of his supporters will choose to ignore it if it doesn't agree with their own views on race because they can't deal with the uncomfortable feelings it brings. He's figured out a huge percentage of his supporters don't understand cognitive dissonance.

Alejandra Rico purraised this.
  10. di and bob

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    I don't think Trump is racist at all. He speaks his mind on what he thinks and couldn't care less their color or what they believe in. It is at the point now, that ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING said that the liberals don't like it is labeled racist. When protesters clash it is both sides fault, how could it not be.It doesn't matter the color of their skin and what they believe in, each side has the right under law to believe and say what they want, but they are also equally guilty if something goes wrong and people are injured/killed.
    He was talking about the countries involved and how they are run, nothing was said about calling the people names. And why is it fair that those nations get precedence because they are black? Who said there aren't countries with white people that need to immigrate here too that are just as downtrodden. You can't have it both ways, you have to be fair. You are racist too if you continually uphold black rights and take away the whites. Everyone has to be treated equal.

xlpooper purraised this.
  11. Katie M

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    Fine people don't march alongside white supremacists chanting "Heil Trump". I admit to taking great pleasure to seeing those "fine people" outed.

Presidents have an image to uphold. They are supposed to speak diplomatically, with tact and reserve. Not to go off topic, but Kennedy and Reagan never boasted about the size of their nuclear button. Trump is setting an extremely bad example for children, and if I had any, I would be telling them to be better than he is.

12. di and bob

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    They have every bit as much as a right to do what they want as those Black Lives Matter supporters yelling Pigs in a blanket, fry like bacon, and destroying property that is not their own. Just because their beliefs are not liked or believed in, they still are just as protected and have the same rights as everyone else. NO ONE is special! Kennedy was a proven adulterer and linked to the mafia, good example. I do believe presidents have an image to uphold too, but it's easy to act like a politician when you didn't do anything at all in 8 years except hurt this great country like the last one.

xlpooper purraised this.
  13. Katie M

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    Hurt? I'm finally getting the healthcare I need thanks to Obama. I voted for him both times and have no regrets.

14. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    The quality of life for Americans has never been higher than the last 8 years. How was the country "hurt"?
    What rights have you lost? I haven't lost any. Other people having rights does not take anything away from you.
    They don't. What makes you think that? Other countries on that list include El Salvador, Nepal, and Yemen; the people in those countries are not black. The countries that are picked for that status are picked "due to conditions in the country that temporarily prevent the country's nationals from returning safely, or in certain circumstances, where the country is unable to handle the return of its nationals adequately."

There are a LOT of people who have been settled in Sioux Falls because of this program. They're mostly of a persecuted ethnic minority who were living in refugee camps in Nepal (Bhutanese who had to leave their country because of an ethnic cleansing). Many are deaf because of a certain illness that got around in the refugee camps, plus malnutrition. I have no idea what would happen to them if they had their status revoked and got sent back. I'm sure Nepal wouldn't take them and Bhutan would kill them.
    I agree with this. That's probably the best explanation I've heard for his behavior.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    Alejandra Rico and mani purraised this.
  15. Winchester

Winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    We are going off the original topic again.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:55 PM
  16. di and bob

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    Donald Trump is considered racist because someone is finally standing up for the rights of normal, tax paying people which happen to be white. All these people that are so complaining and can't get over Hillary losing are doing all they can to cause disruption and spread hate. Sure many have healthcare now, at the expense of tax paying citizens. You have to have a below normal income to get it, and in the meantime my healthcare has gone up to pay for it so that I am paying HALF of my retirement to pay for it. A retirement I worked for 40 years to get by the way, and paid in all along, never receiving government handouts. You have three more years of him, so get over it and try to do something positive, instead of getting worked up over something you cannot change. You are not going to change a 70 year old man's personality into a tree hugging, close minded liberal. Get your own candidate.

xlpooper purraised this.
  17. Katie M

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    "standing up for the rights of normal, tax paying people which happen to be white"

What does that even mean? What about normal, tax paying people who aren't white?

I have pre-existing conditions, things I have because of something I was born with. I was enrolled in Tricare growing up, so it wasn't an issue until my father retired. After that, I had to conceal my conditions to get insurance, just so I could afford checkups. I make little money because of my disabilities. Don't punish me for something that isn't my fault.

Alejandra Rico purraised this.
  18. di and bob

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    There are many nonwhites that are respectable, have a job and pay taxes. But look at the percentages. There are so many generations of people that have received government handouts from cradle to grave they think it is a right. At the expense of people like you that truly deserve it. You can bet many nonwhites voted for Trump too. He is trying to overturn many years of injustice and unfairness, and it is hard when the majority of citizens (and illegals) are receiving benefits they don't earn or deserve.
    At least you can afford checkups. My deductible is 6500.00 and my insurance went from 200.00 to over 750.00/month under Obama. Don't punish me either by having me pay for all those who won't work. You should be mad too, it is hurting you too to have all those freeloaders on government assistance, and I mean the ones who are perfectly capable of doing some kind of work.There are many with 'back problems' out there that can't be medically proved and they know it. I wish they could have the backaches I had from hard work. I notice you can afford the internet, and I'm sure you have one of those fancy smart phones, i went for many years without until I could afford it.

19. Katie M

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    I afford the Internet by looking for good deals and not getting a TV service. My phone was a gift from my family, and they take care of most of my monthly bill.

Before Obamacare, the insurance industry was fundamentally broken. As I said, I had to lie to get even basic insurance. At least I've never had to declare bankruptcy like so many have.

20. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Yes there are people who abuse public assistance and those who abuse disability. I don't think it is something that is racial in nature, that is an equal opportunity and very unfortunate issue. There are people of color who do it and whites who do it. I have been fortunate that I have been healthy, I think that is more a luck of the draw when it came to genes then anything I have done. I have never made a lot of money but have remained gainfully employed for all but three years of my adult life and I always had coverage through work. Some have not been so fortunate.