Prescription food

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After learning that Hill’s prescription pet food has no medicine or drug, that no prescription is legally required to purchase it, and that it is not tested and approved for medicinal purposes by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Kucharski-Berger sued Hill’s alleging that Hill’s and other pet food manufacturers conspired to monopolize the prescription pet food market and to artificially inflate prices by self-imposing the prescription requirement.”

lots of details here:

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
🙌 what I’ve been saying for a looooong time. I’ve always been annoyed with Royal Canin for using their “s/o” index in all of their prescription foods but you can’t buy a commercial RC formula with it. And even with the more expensive manufacturing process for limited ingredient diets (ie not producing them on non-limited ingredient contaminated machinery) there’s just no reason.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
After learning that Hill’s prescription pet food has no medicine or drug, that no prescription is legally required to purchase it, and that it is not tested and approved for medicinal purposes by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Kucharski-Berger sued Hill’s alleging that Hill’s and other pet food manufacturers conspired to monopolize the prescription pet food market and to artificially inflate prices by self-imposing the prescription requirement.”

lots of details here:

[/URL]
So are you saying food like Hills CD Prescription URINARY Multicare stress dry cat food isn't what it claims to be
I know you didn't mention it ..but it is a Hills Prescription food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm suggesting people might wish to read the article about the lawsuit and why it was started and what's been discovered.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's the Catinfo.org take on so-called prescription diets: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats.

Some things of note from Catinfo.org:

"It is important to note that
most of these diets do not have robust clinical feeding studies supporting their safety for long-term feeding or even for use in treating the various diseases they target."

"It is also critical to understand that there is no independent agency overseeing these diets’ medical claims. None. Zero. Including the FDA."

"... the ‘therapeutic/prescription’ diets sold in veterinary hospitals are not formulated for optimal health of a carnivore and, in many cases, are actually detrimental to the patient’s health."

"In addition, they are simply not necessary and do not optimally address the problems they claim to treat.

Add to this the very high price tag on these diets and we have what I consider to be a very big ‘black eye’ for the profession."

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. That was very informative. Glad my cats like weruva chicken Frick a zee.