Preparing for New Year's celebration?

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, this will be my first cat's first new year's celebration.

My question is if I should start preparing by getting him used to firework noises on the tv/radio like you would do with a skittish dog/puppy, or if that is pointless when it comes to cats?

Should I let him do whatever he feels like on new years eve or should I limit his movement by locking him in the bathroom or his carrier?

He hasn't been particularly scared of loud noises so far, but we live in an apartment in the middle of our city and it will be the first time he will hear that type and amount of noise (I'm staying at home with him BTW).

What do you cat people generally do with cats and fireworks?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a small room in your apartment that you can have some other type of noise canceling out the fireworks, that might work. You can test out whether or not he is affected by playing fireworks sounds and increase the sound to see if he reacts. That way you know what you need to do for New Year's Eve.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have always just let Feeby go where she feels she needs to go when there are loud noises that bother her (thunder and fireworks, mostly). Most cats instinctively 'hide' in a location where they think they are the 'safest'. Feeby has pretty much resorted to underneath the bed, and she comes out when she thinks the 'threat' is over. On a rare occasion, she has also used our walk in closet.

Cats do have different personalities, so your cat may want to react in another manner. But, I have found from all my own cats, they all seemed to prefer to be left alone. You could try to set up a box, or other hideaway type structure, in a otherwise quiet location now, and see if he uses it all just under normal circumstances. Maybe in an accessible closet or someplace else you would prefer if you don't want him using the space underneath a bed or other piece of furniture. If he does like your set up, he might use it if/when he wants to hide.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
So, this will be my first cat's first new year's celebration.

My question is if I should start preparing by getting him used to firework noises on the tv/radio like you would do with a skittish dog/puppy, or if that is pointless when it comes to cats?

Should I let him do whatever he feels like on new years eve or should I limit his movement by locking him in the bathroom or his carrier?

He hasn't been particularly scared of loud noises so far, but we live in an apartment in the middle of our city and it will be the first time he will hear that type and amount of noise (I'm staying at home with him BTW).

What do you cat people generally do with cats and fireworks?
I don’t have that issue, but one of my cats is terrified of thunder. She starts meowing and then I let her find her own safe place. I never thought of trying to desensitize her to thunder by playing it normally I play music for her and my dog.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just leave my closet open because Sparkle liked to hide in there.