Preparing For Biscuit's Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Leo hasn't really improved over three days. He eats a little every so often, but not keen. A couple of soft stools with a tiny bit fresh blood and only sick once at the beginning three days ago. So I took him to vets this morning and they gave him anti nausea injection, long acting antibiotic injection and some hills digestive care bland food. The vet said he wasn't dehydrated and stomach not tender. Had a very slight temperature, but she said could just be as a result of being at the vets.

He since coming back from vet he ate a small amount of the special food and I offered it again a few hours later, but he only ate a few mouthfuls when encouraged off my fingers. Was really hoping the anti nausea drug would improve his appetite rapidly. He is still quite perky and playful, but not normal energy level.
Is there anything else I could do or discuss with the vets - she asked me to message her tomorrow. Getting quite concerned, as it has been three days.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he has a virus - possibly distemper (panleukopenia).

Has he been vaccinated for it yet? Running a fever is a possible clue. Also lethargy, loss of appetite, and vomiting.

Replace his water with unflavored pedialyte and make sure he drinks.

This is a wait and see situation. If it is distemper, it can take a month to run its course. He’ll need continuous supportive care.

Feline Panleukopenia

Discuss this with your vet.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Sarthur2 Sarthur2 He had first dose of vaccination at 8 weeks and 2nd part at 12 weeks on 25 May. His mum also had her booster on 25 May . He had no contact with other cats and none have been in the house. Looking on the link above it says incubation of virus 3 to 5 days, so he would have had a good month since the booster to mount an immune response - it does mention about mothers antibodies interfering with kittens immune response. I will see if I can find more information on that. I'm a biologist and have some experience of virology and immunology-but no experience of cat viruses. It feels unlikely it that he has that virus, but I'll mention it to the vet.

He has been quite bright the evening, initiating play himself and then after refusing his bland food he ate the rest of his mum's food fairly eagerly.. but he has appeared to improve before.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have read a bit more about failure of the vaccination in some kittens - will definitely discuss the possibility of that with the vet, especially as the virus can last in the environment. Even if not that after reading about it would quite like to have Leo response to the vaccination tested and would appear sensible for kitten to have an additional booster at 4-5 months
Vaccination against Feline Panleukopenia: implications from a field study in kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ll be interested to hear your vet’s thoughts on it. Glad you’re reading up on it too. And we’ll see how Leo does over the next few days.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Leo is gradually improving and although appetite still reduced, but increasing and stool a bit soft, but no blood. And he is bright and playful.
Spoke to vet and she thinks symptoms not serious enough to suggest panleukopenia , and they give second injection at 12 weeks to reduce the risk and also no exposure to outdoor cats. So I think Leo is OK and I think where I live there are few/no feral cats and most people around here are responsible pet owners and will vaccinate (so hopefully less risk to young vulnerable cats of being exposed to infected older cats ).

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Leo appears completely recoverex after his mystery bug, still won't touch his old wet food, but keen on biscuits and a new wet kitten food.

Here are all four kittens at 4.5 months old. A
_20180723_213231.JPG
_20180723_213326.JPG
IMG-20180723-WA0007.jpg

And mum Biscuit and Leo
IMG-20180722-WA0016.jpg

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to give a quick update to share a couple of pictures, as the kittens are 1 year old today. All doing very well in their various homes. Biscuit and Leo still with me and they adore each other.
Thanks again for all the help and support from this site.
FB_IMG_1551732610387.jpg
FB_IMG_1551732620012.jpg
FB_IMG_1551732627664.jpg
FB_IMG_1551732636943.jpg