Preparing For Biscuit's Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Many thanks.
No not out straight out behind most of the time - when sitting the bottom parts of her legs stick out at approx 45 - 80 degree angle and when she moves, her back legs help propel her using the inside toe and edge of the bottom half of her leg. Occasionally I think she has tucked them under into a more normal position when sitting herself. It was really only just after being born that they were right out behind and occasionally now they end up in that position.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like a fairly mild case. As she gets more and more mobile over the next 2 weeks, try taping her legs into the correct position with the sports tape for parts of the day.

The object is to get her to begin using them in the position they need to be in. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should massage the legs several times a day. You’ll want to warm them completely with your hands before you start working with her. Just slow, gentle massage to help to loosen the tendons. I think she’ll be fine in no time!

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both - really appreciate your advice and support. I think I'm making a little progress and as she feeds generally in contact with her mum's back legs, so she is often fairly warm to start with. I will keep going with this and very determined to ensure she is ok.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh. Biscuit and her babies are beyond precious. They look so healthy, with those round bellies and colorful, shiny coats! Well done both to kitty mom and human mom. :)

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens (11 days old today and eyes opening) all doing well and mum well. However, a little while ago she looked like she was trying to bite front of larger kittens throat a couple of times . Licking then putting mouth around front of throat, with a sort of wild eyed play look. Think it was play? Should I be concerned? Kitten is fine and is biggest one.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens (11 days old today and eyes opening) all doing well and mum well. However, a little while ago she looked like she was trying to bite front of larger kittens throat a couple of times . Licking then putting mouth around front of throat, with a sort of wild eyed play look. Think it was play? Should I be concerned? Kitten is fine and is biggest one.
My recent foster did this with her kittens, too - I was very alarmed at first. Everything I read at the time said that it's normal and that she is most likely "disciplining" them - just keep a close eye. It is a bit unnerving to watch!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom will continue to do this and more “discipline” as the kittens mature. It is teaching manners. However, if mom does get too rough feel free to break it up.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I just wanted to give a bit of an update, as they will be three weeks old tomorrow . All four kittens growing beautifully, eyes open and little bits of wobbly walking. So turning into little cats and I have potentially homes for three of them with great colleagues , when they are ready to leave mum (~9 weeks).

IMG-20180322-WA0006.jpeg
DSC_1315.JPG
DSC_1318.JPG

After the vet experience when they were three days old, I wasn't really happy with the vet I went to. Not really bad, but didn't feel right (and having only had Biscuit since mid pregnancy I hadn't had a chance to build relationship with a local vet). So I asked around various pet owners in the area (and heard others had had bad experiences with this vet) and got a recommendation for new vet. So I now have a great extremely experienced (has fostered kittens herself too) vet, and she explains things really well. She is a mobile too, so came to the house (at no extra charge ) to give them first dose of panacur wormer and show me how to do it. She also had a look the the little tortoiseshell, with swimmers legs (currently called Mini-B, as is miniature of her mum). I have been massaging her legs and gently putting them in position. The new vet wanted to wait until Monday, so three weeks old, before trying to splint . So we will discuss on Monday best way forward and she confirmed the kitten's legs anatomically correct and is issue with the tendons.

Biscuit the mum is doing well and under no circumstances will go out until she is spayed. And I've said to potential new owners that they must agree to spay.

Still early days, and quite a journey from zero cat household to five, in as many weeks! Thanks again for the support from this site - I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear all is well!

How is the kitten doing with the leg massage? Is she using her legs at all?

Please keep the kittens with mom until at least 10 weeks. 12 would be even better!

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut
Hi Sorry I meant 9 weeks from now - when about 12 weeks old.

Moving around her legs are generally, sticking out at the sides, but she uses them to push move around. She does sometimes have them tucked under in normal position herself, when sleeping. When she is feeding I gently encourage them into normal position and can feel her working them in a normal position, as she feeds and pushes up towards her mum. She and mum are also move comfortable with me holding her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you warming up the legs several times a day and massaging to loosen the tendons?

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I try to, but am doing it very gently, for a few minute or so at a time, so not sure if I should do it more firmly or for longer. I will discuss more with the vet and which tendons and areas to focus on.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad things are going well, and that you found a great, and mobile, vet. Kittens are adorable. :catlove:

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And couple of pictures from my camera rather than phone. Black & white and ginger with less stripes are boys. Ginger with more stripes is a girl. And interestingly with the Calico the vet is is not sure at all! - looked multiple times , said she had never seen male tortoiseshell and then said possibly intersex (she will look again at a later date )!
DSC_0954.JPG
DSC_0946.JPG
DSC_0951.JPG

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 and talkingpeanut talkingpeanut
Hi, I just want to give a little update, as they are four weeks old today and doing well.
Vet came to see Mini-B (Swimmers legs) and show me how to best to tape her legs. We started taping at 25 days old in the end. She has them taped for 20-30 minutes three times a day (I do it when she is active) . My vet told me to keep a close eye to check for swelling and remove tape immediately if issues , as important not compromise circulation to the paws. The tape is between the two bottom sections (calves?) of her back legs, keeping them a little wider than hip distance apart. As she is so playful now you can see immediately that she is working legs in more normal position and hips are where they should be. And there is significant improvement already when walking without the tape. I think I could have done this sooner, but as a less experienced kitten person, the support of the vet has been great (but so grateful to you here for encouraging me). The vet has also encouraged me to hold her, with legs in normal position and very gently bounce back legs up and down.

At birth legs completely out behind her from the hips (she came out first with her backfeet first - so probably stuck in uterus in this position for some time).
DSC_1251.JPG

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Posted before attaching other pictures!

At about 8 days old legs improving - but still splayed out.
DSC_1291.JPG

How legs are taped
DSC_1355.JPG

With mum this morning (tape on)
DSC_1392.JPG