Adult Cat
Purraise
*wasn't well yesterday

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Massaging the legs to warm them, then gently bending them and putting them in proper position several times a day is best.

Starting right away is preferable, as the tendons and bones are very malleable while young. Sports tape (non-sticking) can be used to hold the legs in place for a few minutes at a time.

A good exercise is to hold the kitten on its back in your lap and “bicycle” pedal the legs a few times.

It should not take too long to get the back legs fixed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you I will start as soon as possible .

Is there a best way to tape - ie a loop of tape linking legs together a sensible distance apart?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that is good. You can also tape each back leg at the joint, so that it is taped in the “folded” position and mimics how the legs should actually be.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Biscuit had a strange moment earlier. She made a little cry and walked backwards a couple of steps. She went back to the kittens after and fed them and tended them and has been up for food and drank some milk since. No smelly discharge but tiny bit of fresh blood, has normal bowl moment and has gone for a wee a couple of times today in her tray. She is a bit tired and not as perky as earlier. I called the emergency vet number and they said it didn't seem like an emergency, but to take her in if I like. I would rather not put her through the stress of vet trip, but of course want to do best for her ( and have nearly lost a dog in the past to an infection of the uterus).
I've left her in peace for now and have infrared camera on her to keep and eye on her and will check on her at intervals ( it's midnight here).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would guess she had a uterine contraction - an afterpain - that can occur in the days following delivery. Spotting blood is also normal for 7-10 days after delivery while the uterus heals. She should be okay.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to bed for a bit and woke up and found her eat and having more whis

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to bed for a bit and woke up and found her eating andhaving more whiskers cat milk . She was more perky and looking around. She went to litter tray and normal poop and wee (and she is meticulous about covering up and spends ages in there). Thought great she seem fine then just as she headed to the nest she walked backwards about 5 steps and then went unusual root behind the sofa to get nest. One in was agitated and went round in circles and sat down and stood up, and did this a few of times, didn't lick kittens as she usually does entering nest. She settled for a few moments and responded a kitten a little way away.
Then she got out again and then ate a little and was agitated again in same way when back in nest. Then settled and nursed.
The walking backwards and agitation seem very odd.
She is booked to see vet in 4 hours time.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Took her and the 3 day kittens to the vet's ( that felt pretty stressful in itself ). No obvious sign of anything wrong with Biscuit - normal temperature , eye reacted normally, nipples fine and she was alert. They took some blood and every was normal apart from one thing (but nothing to explain the symptoms). The only thing that was raised was blood urea nitrogen levels, which when seen in combination with another change could suggest kidney issue - but as everything else normal vet not concerned kidney issue. The urea nitrogen levels may be raised because she is eating so much protein (and I wonder it the waste of the kittens contributes to)

So overall good news, although still don't know why it happened. Biscuit once home was desperate to get back with kittens (she tried to break into their box in the vets) . She has fed herself and them, and they are all resting now. No sign again of what happened, but I'm glad I took them even if felt a bit stressful for all.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Please keep updating us with photos, especially if you can get individual pics of each kitten. Will you be keeping them, or do you have plans for others to take them? Will you name them? Biscuit is beautiful, I love her color pattern.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ileen - thank you. I haven't got home set up for them yet, but a few people interested. I wasn't planning on keeping any, but maybe that will change... ( Having Biscuit wasn't exactly planned!).
Will try and get individual pictures soon :)

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I mentioned to vet about uterine contractions - she said that was a possibility too. Was just all a bit alarming and concerned she was going downhill and then had family emergency at the same time. All much better now.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Biscuit is much more herself - interested in things (even watched a bit of crufts dog show on TV!), rubbing my legs when serving food, scratching things and I've not seen her agitated in
DSC_1289.JPG
the nest again. So I think she is feeling much better. Kittens are growing fast - one week old now! Need to really focus now on the Calico's legs, have done some work on them, but still not very confident with it yet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to get busy on those legs. The time to reposition them is now while the tendons are still very flexible.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 please if possible could you point me in the direction for more information and maybe pictures of very young kittens being treated for this - most of the stuff I see is for slightly older kittens. I have done more gentle massage today, but not sure how long to do it for or if doing it correctly. I've gently got her legs in more appropriate position after and she tends to stay like that for a bit.
Bicycling the legs I find hard, as she squeaks alot when I try to lay her on her back. And squeaks when I move her from the nest, and then Biscuit is anxious too. And the same goes for splinting.

I'm likely going to the vet again at the weekend, so will see if they can maybe help me get a little more confident in handling her.
The reason we are going to the vet, is that I saw what I'm fairly sure were roundworm after Biscuit used the litter tray a couple of evenings ago - ( I thought I had covered everything like that since she came into my possession mid pregnancy and the vet checked her over). Haven't seen anything before or since, or any other signs. The vet suggested panacur and said kittens can be treated too at just under two weeks old (it does feel very young to treat them).
Kittens all gained weight since yesterday and Biscuit do a good job of looking after them whilst I'm at work - I have a wifi camera to keep an eye on them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it is roundworm they should definitely get treatment. It’s an easy cure.

I think massaging and re-positioning the legs is good for now. I will look for more information for you.

Are the hind legs always straight out behind the kitten?