Preparing cats for emergencies.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just watched this video about what's happening to cats in Wuhan during the coronavirus quarantine. Many cats have been left stranded as their owners cannot get back into the country. This brave hero is part of a volunteer group who goes around to people's homes and checks on their pets:

It got me thinking - how should we be preparing for emergency situations? What should we have around the house? Should we have a plan? For example, you all know that I'm adamantly against dry food, but maybe I should have a bag of it somewhere in case of emergency situations where I can't get to my cats for a while. I don't even know if that makes sense. My heart aches for these poor kitties and can't imagine something like that happening to my babies. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pretty cool video! There are numerous disaster plans on the internet related to pet care, for all kinds of situations. But, in direct response to your question about food - if you feed canned food with pop-top openings (or having an old fashioned can opener on hand if needed), those will suffice, even if it does mean tossing out uneaten portions in a can as needed. I always keep a stock of at least two weeks worth of canned food in my house - not so much for disasters, but just so I am not running to the stores any more frequently for cat food.

Here is just one example of preparing for a disaster that you can find on the internet.
Be Prepared for a Disaster: How to Evacuate with Cats | Catster

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The AVMA has a free disaster preparedness booklet you can download:

Avma Disaster Preparedness Booklet

There's a TCS thread on how to prepare for an emergency:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just watched this video about what's happening to cats in Wuhan during the coronavirus quarantine. Many cats have been left stranded as their owners cannot get back into the country. This brave hero is part of a volunteer group who goes around to people's homes and checks on their pets:

It got me thinking - how should we be preparing for emergency situations? What should we have around the house? Should we have a plan? For example, you all know that I'm adamantly against dry food, but maybe I should have a bag of it somewhere in case of emergency situations where I can't get to my cats for a while. I don't even know if that makes sense. My heart aches for these poor kitties and can't imagine something like that happening to my babies. :(
Me either ..to my boy Snowball :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Living out here in earthquake country, I have always been probably overly prepared for both us and the animals. Everyone who reads these boards really does need to decide what type of disaster or personal issue could arise for them and their cats and make arrangements accordingly. It can seem like a lot of work in the beginning, but once your plans are in place they only have to be maintained, mostly with stored food being swapped out and used by expiration dates. Many of us would not be home if an emergency arose, so that is something else to consider.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice. I have some reading to do.

But, in direct response to your question about food - if you feed canned food with pop-top openings (or having an old fashioned can opener on hand if needed), those will suffice, even if it does mean tossing out uneaten portions in a can as needed. I always keep a stock of at least two weeks worth of canned food in my house - not so much for disasters, but just so I am not running to the stores any more frequently for cat food.
Although I don't feed a lot of canned food I do keep it stocked it up for that reason. But I also make large batches of raw food and have plenty in stock in the freezer. But I was thinking more about a situation like what's happening in Wuhan where people can't get back into the country to be with their pets. I realize that's a pretty specific and unique situation, but it would be ideal to have kibble in that situation I think - so that someone can just come by and dump a bunch of kibble into a huge bowl. I probably won't rush out and buy kibble - this is just me being paranoid. :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My emergency preparedness is pretty lacking IMO, but I always keep a minimum of 5 pounds of cat food plus an unopened case of water bottles (and a bag of hay for the rabbit). Both I rotate by using the previous unopened one when I purchase a new one, so the new purchase becomes the new backup basically. I have enough carriers for the cats and rabbit to each have their own plus a collapsible pet play pen with cover. Priority is:

1. Animals (in carriers if there is time for item 2 and 3 as well, just in my car if there isn't time and grab collapsible pen. If I can't take the car, stack carriers with animals on dolly and secure with rope. Water at bottom and food in bag).
2. Water
3. Food

Since I also live in earthquake and fire area, plus work an hour from home, I am realistic that chances of me being home or able to get home is slim. But since I rarely am far from my car, I make sure my car is always in good working order and carry enough food ration bars and emergency water for 3 people for 3 days.

It's one of those times I am glad my cats are indoor/outdoor. If there really is not time or I can't get home, their cat door is battery activated so they will be able to get out of the house on their own and as long as the house is standing they have safe shelter plus food and water for three days in the house. If the house isn't standing, all three can hunt and will be able to survive for at least a little until I can find my way back. Peter Rabbit has enough hay in his hutch for three days too if he is locked in or fresh vegetation in his outdoor area plus a hiding spot harder for predators to get to him in.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest both canned food and dry food for emergencies. You can donate the dry food to an animal shelter when couple months left for its expiration date, and get a new bag. If your kitties aren't food obsessed, you could even leave the dry food bag in display and if nobody returned, they might open the bag and create a mess. (Hima can open her Acana Wild Prairie via biting the bag and a little help from her claws.)(I would not recommend this. A city lockdown like that is highly unlikely.)

For other kind of situations, I 100% suggest a carrier with wheels. I got a backpack one that also can be used with wheels, this...
1582458987376.png

I got it for in case there is an earthquake and I have to leave my house without ever going back. Something to consider how to carry the cat if we could only walk and have to walk for maybe days. I filled its pockets with wet food cans, a sanitizer, my passport and Hima's, Hima's leash that I never used, a few Fortiflora, a multivitamin paste that also works as a hairball remedy. If you know a good, safe calming product and/or something for sedation I would add that too.

I don't think I'm strong enough to carry more and leave the building as fast but if you are, you can also attach another bag to it and put emergency stuff for yourself there too.