Premature kitten

Josipb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my grandmother call me that feral cat have had 2 kitten at her place.. i take them on day 4 and i was in shock.. at day 4 one kitten was only 79 g other one 113 g.. i dont know their birth weight..
The small kitten hardly put weight he put some then some go and so on .
They are now at day 7 and small kitten weight is 94 and bigger is 160.. so everything is fine with mum mlik..and she takes care od both kittens..
What to do...do runts grow slower or?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can help the tiny kitten by supplementing carefully with a syringe and kitten formula. Here is a helpful video;

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

The kitten may not be premature but is very small and needs to begin to gain weight - 6 to 10 grams a day if possible.

Thank you for helping! Keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are just 2, so the little one shouldnt be disturbed by the biggy. But IF you notice he is disturbed, make sure he has an alone quality time with momma...

Handfeeding home has the big advantage; if they are weak and dont manage to suckle enough from momma. but its easier to eat from handfeeding. They dont need to suckle, its enough to swallow...
So quite often, they get stronger by handfeeding; and after a couple of days, they get stronger and manage to suckle momma on their own, with full force.

There are many good kmr to get. If you have several to choose from, a kmr based on goats milk is good.

J Josipb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Josipb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still nothing today little one dont gain any weight and i see him sucking ..and i try Milk cat from teats that he drinks and there is mlik so...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please buy kitten formula at a pet store or Walmart and use a syringe to supplement this kitten. I put a link to a video on how to syringe feed in my Post #2 yesterday. Please watch the video.

The kitten may only need supplementing 2-3 times a day for a few days to help him get stronger for suckling mom.

How much does this kitten weigh today?

J Josipb

Josipb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I buy and i visit vet, and he try.. kitten just dont want suck and vet say that he can also die from milik inside lungs doo. She Said that she think something is wrong with kitten from start..😭

Josipb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But kitten suck from mother and there is Milk in that nipple.. today he lost 1 g 😭 i buy milik and try suplement him but he dont want it.. can i put some honey im his month or water with suger??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
But kitten suck from mother and there is Milk in that nipple.. today he lost 1 g 😭 i buy milik and try suplement him but he dont want it.. can i put some honey im his month or water with suger??
Yes you can try with a droplet on the gum inside the lip.

Continue with thries to handfeed!

Ps. The yellowish is a point "siamese mix"

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting just one drop of milk at a time inside his mouth. One drop shouldn't be enough to go in his lungs, and he may learn to enjoy the taste and will want more. Any amount you can get in him is better than none.

Yes, you can put a little honey or milk mixed with sugar in his mouth, this can give them a good energy boost.

Ideally, he'll get strong enough to suckle enough from his mother but you just have to keep him alive long enough for that to happen.

Josipb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes you can try with a droplet on the gum inside the lip.

Continue with thries to handfeed!

Ps. The yellowish is a point "siamese mix"
Vet said that he think its ragodll mix .. hopefully she survive

Josipb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try putting just one drop of milk at a time inside his mouth. One drop shouldn't be enough to go in his lungs, and he may learn to enjoy the taste and will want more. Any amount you can get in him is better than none.

Yes, you can put a little honey or milk mixed with sugar in his mouth, this can give them a good energy boost.

Ideally, he'll get strong enough to suckle enough from his mother but you just have to keep him alive long enough for that to happen.
She suck from mother just not gaing weight yestrday she was 94 g today is 92 and i saez her suck 6 Times today 😳😤

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As W Willowy suggested, try one drop of milk at a time.

You can also call a local rescue and ask if an experienced foster is available to care for the kitten in her home.

Josipb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Same as with mom milk she dont gain weight at all zeroo.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many mLs of formula are you able to get into the kitten each day by supplementing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please explain what happens when you try to supplement. This kitten may not make it without your help.

Kittens do resist supplementing, so we use a syringe in the side of the mouth. One drop at a time until they learn to latch onto the syringe and suckle.

If the kitten resists, you wrap it like a burrito with only the head out so you can feed.

I feel something is not going right here with you trying to supplement and I need you to tell me so that I can help you to help this kitten.

J Josipb