Premature Kitten Care.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just been given three premature kittens but one died only a few minutes after they got here. Does anyone have any tips for caring for preemies? Here's what I've done so far:

-Placed them on a pet heat pad but they were very, very cold so I dipped them in a bowl of warm water for about 5 minutes. Dried them off vigorously but gently to stimulate their breathing and circulation. This stimulated them to have their first BM and wee. Back onto the heat pad.

-2ml subcutaneous saline for dehydration.
- Mum cat left the birth sacs hanging so I've removed those, trimmed the umbilical cord to about 2cm and covered the cord with Betadine (antiseptic solution).
-Once they warmed up, tube fed 2ml formula. Will follow with 1.5ml every 2 hours for at least the first 48 hours.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kumbulu,
I don't know if I can be much help but I wanted to thank you for taking care of those babies!!!

We've had a mother cat (years and years ago) who refused to have anything to do with her kittens, but luckily we had another mom cat so she helped alot with them, but we still had to feed them every 2 hours because there were too many kittens for one mom to handle.

I've tried to find info on premature kittens but have not had luck, but I did find something on abandoned kittens maybe that will have some helpful information for you.

But it does sound like you are doing everything right, making sure they stay warm and frequent feedings.
Also maybe try keeping a stuffed animal laying with them (as a momcat substitute) it may help them to feel more secure.

Here's a link to the info I mentioned:

http://petcaretips.net/orphaned_kitten_care.html

Good luck, I will keep you and those babies in my thoughts.

dustycatwriter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kumbulu,

You certainly have your hands full. I think what you have there are actually neonatal rather than preemies.

I've had litters that were probably just a few hours older than your guys. They were covered in cow poop and still had the umblical cords and placenta attached. Believe it or not, they all made it.

I can't think of a single suggestion you haven't already done. If they got too chilled for too long, then you may not be able to do anything but make them comfortable. On the other hand, keep up what you're doing and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest make it.

Dusty

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have any other advise for you, I just wanted to wish you good luck!

They are so lucky to have you to care for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys for the support. How could I forget that they're with Snugglekitty! Bad kitty mum! So, yes, they're snuggled up to snugglekitty and doing well so far.

Dusty, I have had neonates before and I really do think these babies are preemies.
They're only 70% of a 'normal' newborn's weight, they're very, very small, and they don't have fur on their legs, tummy and abdominal area. The furr they do have is more like fuzz, much like the hair on our legs a day after shaving. Also, they can't hold their heads up yet. They do have a good, strong sucking reflex and are taking approximately 1.5mls every 2 hours.

I'll keep you guys updated on their progress.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One thing you might want to do is add some plain yogurt to their formula Tania-

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks MA, will do.

Katie, thanks for the link and the e-mail address. I have already fostered almost 40 kittens this kitten season so I feel fairly experienced with newborns, it's just that I haven't had preemies before.
I will e-mail Jeri, though.

I'll post some pics in the next few hours.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OOh pictures! Can't wait!!!

they will be fine Tania, they couldn't be in better hands!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh..I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what you were doing. I just thought that perhaps Jeri's site or Jeri herself could answer some questions for you (besides...it's always good when fellow kitten people can swap stories etc).

Katie

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the babies have made it through their first 24 hours with me. They're weeing and pooping like they should and appear well. Timmy has gained 2 grams and Tiny has gained 1 gram. They're still suckling well and keeping toasty warm with snugglekitty.

If you can spare them, I'd love for you guys to send some vibes for growth and strength their way.

I'll keep you updated on their progress.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear they are doing so well!!!
Am sending strong, healthy kitten vibes their way!!!

dustycatwriter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're right; they do sound like preemies. I had one litter of three. Animal control got them to me right away, but I couldn't save them. They just weren't done. Sounds like your guys are very fortunate to have you.

SnuggleKitties are wonderful, aren't they. I found a brand new product--it's a bed with a plush dog attached (slightly larger than an adult cat) that does the same thing. They're going to send me a sample next month. The difference is, the heartbeat is in the bed itself and it takes AA batteries. I always have problems finding batteries for the Kittie.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dusty, I am SO with you on the battery thing. I find the batteries in SK last 7-8 days (running 24/7) but when you run out it's a real bummer. I always have AA batteries around and would be very interested to see how you go with the bed product. Keep me updated!

I didn't have any SK batteries when the babies arrived yesterday morning (1am-ish) so after I got them settled , I rushed out to the only chemist that is open 24 hours here in Perth and bought SK batteries. They looked at me like, why is this mad woman buying watch batteries in the middle of the night? What the heck could be so important that it couldn't wait until normal hours. LOL! I really felt the sound and feel of the heartbeat might make a difference to the survival of the little ones.

How prem do you estimate the babies you had were? I really hope these guys make it.

dustycatwriter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's called a Comfort Pup(TM) by the same company who makes Doggles, the doggie goggles. They're not even on the market yet. She said they would send me a sample after the American Pet Products Manufacturer Association trade show next month.

I'll keep you posted. It also has a pocket for a heater. I believe the website is www.doggles.com

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
2 days (-5 days)

The babies are still doing well. They haven't put on any weight today but that can be expected as they're using up all the calories growing their fur and finishing off their internal organs. They're still suckling very well and taking a little more each feed compared to yesterday. I changed to a longer teat on the bottle as Tiny had a little formula coming out her nose each feed. I checked her thoroughly for a cleft palate but her mouth is fine. Since I've been using the longer teat, no formula up the nose. Because I'm having to keep them very warm, plus it being over 100F today, I've given them 2ml SQ to help with hydration. Their fur is a little longer today and they're moving around a bit more too.

These two are real little fighters - they went without their mum for more than 12 hours after they were born and survived. Thank you all for your good vibes for these little babies, please keep sending them.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just wondering how the little mites were doing today.
Thanks so much for keeping us updated!

Sounds like they are little fighters, and very special little lives. I'm sending stregth vibes to both of them and to their angel named Tania.