pregrant stray cat what to do

anita1986

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm seeking advice as to the best way to handle my situation. Any input is greatly appreciated. During the height of the covid lock down, I basically befriended a stray cat who wandered in the backyard of the rental property I live in. The owner wasn't too thrilled with this cat being there but I was able to convince her that the cat won't stay for long and most likely just want food/attention/love. I started feeding this cat every night at a designated food station/shelter in the backyard. So everything was fine and great, the owner really didn't mind anymore, the cat had no threats and was pretty happy being there. Because I got a second job, I wasn't able to see the cat as often as I'd like anymore and she'd come and go as she pleased not really staying on the property for long. About a month passed not seeing her. I kind of got worried that something bad happened. Last week, I finally saw her again. I guess she saw me walking to my door so she cut my way and meowed. I was happy to see her again and noticed that her belly was big. My mood went from happy to surprise to worry. She was rubbing her face on my leg asking for food so I gave her some. Then she wanted to come in but I couldn't let her as the owner explicitly said not to do that. I put out some blankets for her in a safe spot in the backyard and she kind of settled down and became calm.

So for the past week, this cat is not leaving and I believe she wants to give birth on the property. I know the owner would be furious if this happened and so I want to respect her wishes because overall she has been very fair and clear with me. I called friends and family to find a place for her but to no avail. I called a rescue group who couldn't take her in. They said the best thing to do is to terminate the pregnancy by spaying her. So then I called to schedule a spay that will happen in a few days but now I find myself having a change of heart. She looks VERY pregnant now I just don't know how far along she is but she is very close to giving birth. I feel bad because I mean she just wants a place to give birth, it's not that big of an issue but I can't seem to help her. I then thought maybe I can pay someone to foster her and her future kittens temporarily but I don't know what the acceptable price range is. I just need some advice.. What is the best way to handle this? She's really a lovely cat the last thing I want to do is hurt her unintentionally.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi A anita1986

Thank you for trying to help this cat. As most shelters are over crowded and short of resources it's standard practice to perform a spay-abort on any female cat that comes in. It's very sad, but with so many unwanted cats and kittens in the US the shelters don't have a lot of other options.

Personally I don't think I could spay a cat that is so close to giving birth either. There are a few things you could do. If the cat has her kittens outside they will be very vulnerable. Kittens get taken by all kinds of predators, including rats and crows, in the first few weeks of life. They can also die from anemia if they get fleas at that early age, so being born outside is very dangerous for them.

How often is the owner at the property? If you brought the cat indoors for a short time would the owner notice? Mother cats typically stay very close to their kittens, so a small room or even a large dog crate would be perfect for her for the first couple of weeks.

There are lots of shelters in your area that might be able to take in a mother with new born kittens, or help you find a foster. Here's a list you could start calling to see if any could help you.

California No Kill Animal Shelters: Find one near me - The nOkill Network

When you call the shelters tell them you would be willing to donate to cover the cost of caring for this family. They might be more willing to help you that way.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope you cancel the spay. I never recommend a late stage termination. It’s cruel and when the kittens are viable they actually have to be euthanized. The mother cat is then filled with hormones and milk and becomes depressed.

I agree with Norachan Norachan . Bring her in and do not let her back outside. It’s much safer inside, and how would your landlord know? Does the landlord enter your home or peer into your windows?

When the kittens are 8 weeks old you get mom spayed, and you can begin re-homing the kittens at 10-12 weeks old. It will all fall into place. In the long run the cat gets spayed and the kittens are not eventually running stray outside getting pregnant. We are here to support you! :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anita1986

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of the replies. My living situation is that I rent a room in a house. The owner, who is my sister, lives on site with her family. I rent a section of their house with two other tenants. There's basically a shared entrance/hallway and all the rented units are next to each other. If I bring the pregnant stray in, others in the house will definitely notice. I am the one feeding her right now and monitoring how she's doing. I have two indoor cats who live in my unit but when i'm at work, they go to the main house and live with my sister's family. My sister is okay with the indoor cats, she is not comfortable with the stray cat being in indoors too. I don't think she knows its pregnant because it did disappear for about a month and only came back about a week ago. The cat is still in the back and found a spot in the bushes and mostly just stays there at least in the morning and overnight. I don't monitor her during the day because I'm at work so I'm not sure how long it stays in the backyard.

Thank you for the link I will definitely call today and hopefully I can find her a safe place. I will update in the next few days how things are going.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you cannot safely place the cat elsewhere, can you discuss short-term options with your sister? It is really not a good option for this cat to have her kittens and try to raise them outside. Please keep us updated and thank you for caring for this cat.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If the owner is your sister and she's a cat lover herself I think you've probably got a good chance of persuading her to let you help this family, at least for the first few weeks while the mum gives birth and you look for a foster or forever home for her.

Take a look at some of Kitten Lady's videos on YouTube. Caring for a mother and her newborns is usually just a case of providing her with a safe place and plenty of food.

Kitten Lady

How do other members of the family feel about it? Any cat lovers that could help you out?

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree Please talk to your sister Make it clear it would be temporary until the kittens could leave mom at the latest and they can be rehomed and mom can be spayed Since she is ok with your cats there is Hope she would let you help this cat temporarily

Maybe get your sister to watch the video

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed the mother to be kitten food kibble/wet, plus a saucer or two of Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR) everyday as long as she is pregnant or nursing her kittens.

Please provide updates! Goo0d
lunch ck on bringing in mom cat.