Pregnant?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
So I took a momma and two 4-5 week old kittens and they will be going to a small rescue.
My question is momma pregnant and questimate how far along??!??
Look at those beautiful eyes the camera doesn’t do them justice

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She does look pregnant. Can you get a picture from above while she is standing so we can see her sides? That would help since she’s currently nursing. Can you also post a picture of the kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
She does look pregnant. Can you get a picture from above while she is standing so we can see her sides? That would help since she’s currently nursing. Can you also post a picture of the kittens?
. She’s not nursing and her teats are flat and dry

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, are these her kittens? Are you bottle feeding or are they already eating solids?

From above, she’s got very slightly rounded sides, but that could be from eating better. If she’s pregnant, it’s very early.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, are these her kittens? Are you bottle feeding or are they already eating solids?

From above, she’s got very slightly rounded sides, but that could be from eating better. If she’s pregnant, it’s very early.
. I’m told these are her kittens. A person in my town said their neighbor moved away and left her in an empty house. She had 3 but one died. They took her in and they could barely afford to feed her so they’ve been eating probably a variety since some ppl in the community donated food.
So no I’m not bottle feeding and they are eating solid kibble and drinking water. They don’t use the litter box so I’m assuming there want one where they were.
Momma does have soft stool.

so out of curiosity why did she dry up so soon?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s unclear if these are even her kittens. If they are, she may have dried up from lack of food and water, but her nipples do not even look like they were nursed, so you may not have been told the whole story or maybe no one knows the real story. There may be a missing mama cat. This cat and the kittens may be unrelated other than coming from the same house.

As it stands, this female should probably be spayed now, and the kittens need to learn the litter box and grow up to be spayed or neutered and hopefully find excellent forever homes.

Mama’s soft stool may be from a change in her diet, or she may need treating for worms and parasites, or it could be both.

CatladyJan CatladyJan

Last edited:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s unclear if these are even her kittens. If they are, she may have dried up from lack of food and water, but her nipples do not even look like they were nursed, so you may not have been told the whole story or maybe no one knows the real story. There may be a missing mama cat. This cat and the kittens may be unrelated other than coming from the same house.

As it stands, this female should probably be spayed now, and the kittens need to learn the litter box and grow up to be spayed or neutered and hopefully find excellent forever homes.

Mama’s soft stool may be from a change in her diet, or she may need treating for worms and parasites, or it could be both.

CatladyJan CatladyJan
. I was just telling my husband that I’m not sure if this is their momma because of all the strange things and she doesn’t act motherly to them.
I haven’t found any kitten poop either but it may be on the floor somewhere.
They are supposed to be going to the small rescue tomorrow evening so the momma cat will probably get spayed .

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 thank you for your guidance and wisdom with this. It really had me puzzled since I just finished fostering 2 mommas and kittens and this doesn’t even line up but I’m not experienced in this area. Thank you again!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’re welcome! I hope the small rescue will take good care of the “mama” cat and kittens, and see that they get the services they need, along with proper future homes. Thank you for taking them in.

Also, the kittens need wet food in addition to dry kibble at their little age to thrive. Wet food is best and will help them to poop and give them maximum needed nutrition. Kittens their age really need wet food.

Last edited:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom and kittens are going to the vet today, going to find out if she is pregnant or not.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
We don’t have an answer. He felt around and thought he felt at least 3. Then he ran a relaxin test which came up negative (based on the Zoetis site it’s not the most accurate test). Here are pics from today

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why didn’t he just do an x-ray? She sure looks pregnant. Are you seeing movement yet?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Why didn’t he just do an x-ray? She sure looks pregnant. Are you seeing movement yet?
I don't know why he didn't do an xray, maybe because she is with a rescue idk.... No, she really doesn't stay still very long and is offstandish when I try to pet her or hold her. I've had her 6 weeks so it won't be long now.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I currently have the momma and her 9 week old kittens in my outbuilding and I am wondering a couple of things since I have limited space in my house with a cat friendly dog and 6 resident cats: should I get her 1st litter away from her? Also, it’s getting down to low 40”s at night so will she be able to keep the newborns warm if I give her the outbuilding for privacy?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 9 weeks these kittens are ready to be vetted and re-homed soon, especially since newborns are expected. What is your plan for these kittens? Are they going through a rescue?

It would be best if mom could give birth inside your home. Or can you plug in a heater for the outbuilding?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
At 9 weeks these kittens are ready to be vetted and re-homed soon, especially since newborns are expected. What is your plan for these kittens? Are they going through a rescue?

It would be best if mom could give birth inside your home. Or can you plug in a heater for the outbuilding?
The 9 week old kittens are with a rescue and they have had their first kitten shots. Obviously the rescue tries to get the lowest price on spay and neuter, but our regular place is closed until 11/30/21 due to an illness. Some vets will not spay under 6 months of age so when space opens up we are going to try to do foster to adopts after they get their microchips and boosters so we can do the spay and neuter. We are a foster based rescue and only have a a couple of spots at Petco.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: it is day 67 since I took her in and she looked pregnant then. I’m concerned because she had to already be pregnant 67 days ago and still no labor.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks near term. Have you had her vet-checked? In the meantime, apply some coconut oil to her mammaries. Her skin looks dry.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks near term. Have you had her vet-checked? In the meantime, apply some coconut oil to her mammaries. Her skin looks dry.
No vet check it’s not my call. I thought 70 days was pushing it. She is grooming a lot and I can feel an oblong lump on one side but no movement. I did see what I guess were rapid sequential movement in her belly

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Waiting it out for now is okay, but if she begins to act in distress, then a vet will be needed. It’s always possible that dates are incorrect.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Waiting it out for now is okay, but if she begins to act in distress, then a vet will be needed. It’s always possible that dates are incorrect.
The dates are correct because she had to be pregnant prior to my obtains her which was 9/3