Pregnant with worms

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I'm so happy to have found this forum. I have a stray cat that I took in a couple days ago, and found out yesterday she's pregnant. I'm still trying to think of what her name will be. For now, I just call her mama.

I took her to my vet and he said she's very skinny, but otherwise seems to be healthy. He said she was probably about halfway through her pregnancy and that soon we should be able to feel the kittens moving around. He also told me that I can not treat her for worms until after the kittens are born. He told me to use Frontline Gold now to get rid of her fleas and ticks and that would not hurt babies.

I started feeding her kitten food thanks to the advice of members here at the forum. I appreciate all the help!

So that's where we're at today. I have a couple of questions. Mama is sleeping all the time. She loves to curl up in my bathroom sink and just sleep. She gets up to eat and drink and potty. Or to sleep next to me on the couch and get belly rubs. Is that okay for a pregnant cat to sleep all the time like that?

The second question is this. I really need to deworm mama. I've read that it's safe if I use the correct dewormer. Can you recommend one to me?

Thanks =)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sleeping all the time is fairly normal for all pregnant moms regardless of species. With cats, she could be doing cartwheels across your living room at night without your knowledge. I know my Moms cat sleeps non-stop during the daytime and is a wild child when we are all asleep.

And since the vet advised you not to deworm, please don't deworm at this time. Worms, while gross, won't negatively impact her long term health. But trying a treatment, no matter how safe people may claim it is, could negatively impact her kittens for their lives.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that pregnant cats sleeping a lot is normal, and yours is doing some catching up now that she is safe and getting regular meals. Strays have a tough life. Thank you for taking her in.

However, it IS safe to deworm pregnant cats with praziquantel and pyrantel pamoate. The best all around dewormer is Drontal tablets. It is given once, then again 7-10 days later to cover the life cycle of the worms. It’s much better to get rid of worms now than to have them pass through mom’s milk.

Ask your vet for Drontal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The visual of her doing cartwheels at night is too funny :D maybe she is more active at night!

My vet is an amazing person and a great vet with big animals. We live in a small farm community, and he mostly deals with cows and other farm animals. If a cat around here gets pregnant or just gets sick, most people are not going to bring her to the vet. The cat wil either make it or won't. It's just the way things are around here. So his experience with this is limited and he fully admits that. I'm in no way diminishing his ability as a vet. I'm just talking about experience and what he does day to day. That said, he's all I have. So I read on here and the 'ask a vet' website to double check what he tells me. And triple check lol. I worry about doing the wrong thing and hurting mama or the babies.

Yesterday I called the vet back and was able to talk to his assistant. I asked about Drontal and she said they don't carry it. She said they have a product called interceptor (milbemycin oxime) and that it states right on the box that's its safe to use on pregnant cats. I researched it online and I don't see where it says that. It does say it's safe to use on pregnant dogs, but according to the website it's not been tested on pregnant or nursing cats. So now I'm paranoid to use it. But I do need to treat mama because last night I noticed she has bloody stools. After she poops she squeezes out blood. Scared me half to death. Vet assistant told me it's from the worms.

I really appreciate this forum and your help, more than you know! I'll be crazy by the time this is over and so will this vet assistant lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think a better alternative would be a round of metronidazole. It treats both parasites and intestinal bacterial Infection and is very effective.

Your vet should carry it or be able to get it or write a prescription for you to get it from an online vet. Let us know what your vet says about metronidazole.

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let us know what your vet says about metronidazole.
I didn't see this until after I had already treated mama or I would've asked about it. Thank you :)

I called the assistant back and told her I know I'm being a pain in the rear, but I'm just worried about worming mama. I explained that I had read the box and it was untested on pregnant cats. She was very understanding about things and said she has used that wormer on pregnant cats since before she even moved here and has never had a problem with any of the cats or babies. That's why they use it instead of others.

I said a prayer, gave it to mama very reluctantly, and watched her like a hawk all day and night until midnight.
She's doing great so far-- Eating lots and drinking. Last night I caught her laying on her side purring LOUDLY and just tearing and scratching at a box. She puts the pieces in a little cubby hole she found the day I brought her home. I'm wondering if that's where she plans to have her kittens.

Wanted to thank you all again for your advice. Always appreciate your willingness to help!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the TCS family! and thank you for rescuing that cat in her time of great need! It's good to know that your vet assistant is knowledgeable about cats and kittens. Don't worry about being a pest - most healthcare providers appreciated patients who are proactive in understanding their cases. Many of us are in rural areas where vet care is restricted to livestock and even then it is not uncommon to have cattle die from lack of assistance. Horses, fortunately, and dogs, do not lack for medical care. I find that the younger generation of vets are more proactive in dealing with cats & kittens. Your vet's office and feed stores probably have good resources for obtaining goat milk, which is valuable if supplemental feeding is called for. Are you supplementing your mama kitty with good calcium sources? Hypocalcemia is one of the biggest worries with pregnant ferals - it can cause weak, ineffective labor. I like to feed good quality kitten food and add KMR to the diet although goat milk is sometimes tolerated better than a whey based product.
I hope to read plenty of updates from you - it will be exciting to follow your mama cat's story!

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the TCS family! and thank you for rescuing that cat in her time of great need!
Thank you for the welcome and it has been a pleasure caring for mama cat. She stole my heart immediately!

I moved here to this smaller rural community and the first thing I noticed was there are sooo many stray and feral cats. Many of them pets that have been dumped and abandoned--it's heartbreaking. But there are some true angels living in this town too. I see a lady at the post office that puts out food for all the ferals that live around that area. And another person opened up a small home shelter to care for and adopt out abandoned cats and dogs. :redheartpump:

Are you supplementing your mama kitty with good calcium sources?
Yes. I got her some kitten food and KMR. She loves both and is eating very well. She sleeps a lot, but doesn't seem sick or lethargic. Just big and pregnant lol. I think she looks (and acts) a lot healthier since being treated for worms and fleas/ticks. She was infested with all of that. Poor girl. And also she's not having bloody stools anymore.

More updates to come :happycat:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are going to be a true blessing to your community! I am positive that the local animal lovers in your area find your compassion, energy and enthusiasm VERY refreshing.
Poor mama kitty - she was dealing with so much! Just the fleas or the worms alone must be so miserable. At least now her little family is safe, she is receiving excellent prenatal care and I am eagerly looking forward to those updates :camera::petcat::cheerleader::heartshape::happycat:

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on mama and a question or two...Mama is doing great. I was petting her last night and noticed how much softer her fur is. She has more energy, although she does sleep a lot. But when she is awake she explores and seems happy now. Her tummy is getting sooo big. she loves to have belly rubs, so I get to feel the babies moving around every day. Last night I could actually see them moving when mama was asleep!

I finished setting up a safe room for mama and her kittens. I can't just let them roam the house while I'm gone, too many things they can get into and possibly get hurt. All I do is worry when I'm not here! I chose the bathroom because it's a big room and she loves to sleep in there anyway. Today I'm sectioning off a large area to make a playpen for the babies (for when they get old enough to walk around). It'll be 18'' high. They'll have lots of room to romp and play without being able to get underneath the hot water heater or closet door. It's sorta like a safe spot within the safe room. Maybe I worry a bit too much, but it's something I don't mind doing and makes me less anxious when I'm not here, and at night when I'm asleep. I put her a few beds, toys, scratching post, and of course she'll have food and water. Mama loves to go in there and sleep in the sink. Pretty soon she won't be able to fit in the sink anymore until she has those babies lol '

I'm wondering how old kittens are before they can jump and climb?

Also, I was thinking about kitty litter for babies. Can I use the same kind I use for Mama (Tidy Cats) clumping litter?

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonder if she's further along than 5 weeks? Last week the vet said 4 weeks was just a guess. Time will tell and I'm ready either way, but what do you think?
five_weeks.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your vet is way off! Cats begin to show around the end of the 5th week, and your cat is well beyond that and has cleared the fur around her nipples. I’d say she is more likely at least 7 weeks along, especially if you can see kitten movement. That is usually evident the last 2-3 weeks of the pregnancy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, use non-clumping Tidy Cats litter for the kittens. If they eat clumping litter it can stop them up and potentially be fatal. Kittens like to taste the litter. Once beyond that stage you can return to clumping.

Kittens begin to climb by 4 weeks, and are jumping around 6 weeks. 😊

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama had 8 beautiful kittens last night. I'm so proud of her and just in love with them all!! You guys were right about how far along she was lol. So mama (her real name is Annie, named after my mom) is doing great today and babies have all latched on and are drinking.

About an hour before mama gave birth she came into the living room and sat in my lap being all sweet and really clingy. Then she gets up and meows at me continously. Thinking she was hungry I walked with her to the kitchen, but she led me to her nesting box instead. She got inside it and if I tried to leave she would come and get me and lead me right back. After doing that 2 times, I knew she needed me to stay and was probably close to labor, so of course I stayed with her.

I was soooo scared for the entire process of her giving birth and it ended up where I had to help her. The very first baby she didn't do anything until after I got her head out out of sack, massaged her until I saw little bubbles from her nose and she made kitten noises. Then mama cleaned her and took care of the rest. The rest of them was pretty much the same, except if I held the kitten up to her face it made her start licking and taking care of baby. Now she's very attentive and sweet with her kittens. All of them have been drinking. They fall asleep suckling. Sooo cute!

I'm worried because mom was a stray when I took her in and she is very thin. Do you think she'll start gaining weight now that she had babies? I hope she does. Also with 8 nursing babies should I be helping her feed them or let her do it? I'll have a scale to weigh them all today. Right now all their little bellies are round and full and I've seen all nursing.

Thank you so much for the help you've provided because I would be lost! I'll share some pics soon. It's amazing to me that this little stray came into my life, and now her little babies, and that she allowed me to be with her and help. What a blessing.

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I weighed the kittens. They were wiggly lol

Born September 8, Weight taken Sept 9:

Kitten 1 109g
Kitten 2 130g
Kitten 3 135g
Kitten 4 126g
Kitten 5 98g
Kitten 6 126g
Kitten 7 119g
Kitten 8 120g

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:happycat: :banana1: :clap: Congratulations, Team Annie! Excellent job as midwife,too! 8 is a large litter so I would definitely consider supplement feeding although those are some hefty birth weights - where did she keep them all :dunno: Thank you so much for the update! I hope that Sarthur2 Sarthur2 chimes in soon. Meanwhile, I would give Annie plenty of KMR and baby cat food. You might ask your vet about other suggestions for supplements because feeding such a large crew will zap her nutritional supplies, especially the calcium reserves.
Again, congratulations :banana2::dance::beerchug::bday:

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'm so proud of Annie. She's a great mama. She comes out of the of her nesting area a couple times a day for maybe 15 min. If she hears a squeak she runs back in and checks on them.
I'll try the vet today and see what I can give her for vitamins. I do give her kitten food and kmr. She loves both. She eats a lot, so that's good. Also she drinks a lot of water.
I'll update with weights today. I've watched the smallest kitten and she is tough when she has a nipple. Hangs on tight lol. It's so cute. I don't mind helping mama out in any way I can.
those are some hefty birth weights
Haha now I know why she was soooo big. Looked like she swallowed a watermelon!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Eight babies! That’s a huge litter! :lovecat2:

Weigh daily and if any kittens do not gain 6-10 grams daily, or lose weight, they may need supplementing.

You can also rotate two sets of 4 kittens nursing every couple of hours if need be.

Here’s a helpful video on feeding tiny kittens if you need to supplement:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Keep us posted!

SilentDream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20210910_211042.jpg

Thank you for that video. Yesterday I weighed them all again and two of them only gained 3 grams. It was the largest and 3rs largest kittens. They had round bellies, but I attached them to a nipple anyway and checked throughout the day and night to make sure they were drinking. I'll weigh them all again today and see if they gained more.